Interesting Science Stuff

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Thomas Windom, Mar 6, 2023.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Many said (and still say) that about space exploration.

Tony Page likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

One internist I saw said the same thing about prostate cancer. He died at age 60...from prostate cancer.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. John Brunner

So the new "wait & see" thing is less science-based and more a function of demographics & cost? Or should we be more nuanced about it?

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Comparing space exploration to bringing back the dead after many years interesting but it just doesn't jive. For science sake I can agree for end purpose I can't agree.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

With the Earth's population what it is, my question would be, "Why bring old people back to be a further drain on society?"

Tony Page likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I don't know what the answer is. My old "GP" said some folks will die of prostate cancer and some never will. I think, with radiation treatment being what it is, it would be the safe course to take the radiation and nothing else unless it was already metastatic, in which case it would depend on the age of the man (unless women can now get prostate cancer) and how much discomfort the guy is willing to endure.

7. John Brunner

The same argument can be made for both: the science that results from those activities is applied elsewhere in our lives. (I think that's what you were saying.) I agree with you regarding the defective motivation, although someone is making money selling the dream (or the nightmare.)

Tony Page likes this.
  8. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I really like science fiction shows and movies unfortunately my wife hates them the only chance I get to watch them is usually when she's busy doing something else.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

You're right science discoveries can happen at anytime unexpectedly, example discovery of rubber.

10. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My wife is a bit more accepting of them but finds too many of them confusing in the “science” part. She will watch though and liked “Altered Carbon”. Her favorites are mysteries and crime dramas.

On the rare occasions we disagree on something, I just watch it on my iPad with the app (Netflix for example) and headphones at night when I go to bed. That has worked well for both of us.

11. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

They racked my brain with science in one semester of horticulture, studying plant science. Soil molecules plant, cells and formulars. I passed with good grades, but it wasn't easy. Lots of liberals in that one but since I was the oldest in the group at 45, they were nice. Planted hundreds of thousands of ornamentals for 1996 Olympics in Atlanta Ga.
    I took the course to learn about plants to open my, 'Tutti Fruity Nursery'. Never happened. I was the teachers pet. :D Since the 70s I was the one semester drop out. Always made it through one. Dental Technology, Cabinet Making in the 70s.

12. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

When I went to school I took up space and time.:p

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If we think about it, a lot of what was known as science fiction is now applied science. From submarines, jets, nuclear energy, cellular watches, computers to space exploration and cryonics, it was all science fiction written by some wild eyed author before it became a reality.

Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  14. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember somebody saying "if we can think it we can make it". This holds true in many cases, I remember Dick Tracy having that special watch that he talked into, I believe it was Buck Rogers had something similar. We would say "they'll never have that", I wonder how often science fiction became science reality?

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I believe I mentioned somewhere that many drugs are purified from or derived from naturally produced compounds that plants manufacture. Farming such plants might not be practical for a variety of reasons so if scientists (biochemists) can figure out how to make the compound from scratch, that is often the best way to ensure a constant and pure supply. Anyway, here’s another potent anti-cancer drug of plant origin that scientists have figured out how to synthesize.

https://phys.org/news/2023-03-sustainable-source-cancer-killer.html

Here’s another article about a compound made by soapbark tress that scientists have figured out how to synthesize. It has use as a superior adjuvant with vaccines.

https://phys.org/news/2023-03-insights-soapbark-tree-vaccines.html