Irobot Vacuum?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ina I. Wonder, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

We've had one for a few years and it works perfectly.

Not too worried about someone knowing the layout of my house. Wifi watching me move around my house, might be something to worry about.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/08/wi-fi-surveillance/497132/

What is appropriate to wear, when someone is spying on you through your wifi? :D

2. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Why should your pets have all the fun.
    Why get them a Roomba, when you can get one of these and have yourself some fun...:eek:

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Believe it or not, that issue was brought up on talk radio this morning.
    Rarely the conspiracy theorist, I do wonder other than marketers who else can buy the information, if there is indeed any information to be bought?

I can see the scenario now. Roomba gets the layout dimensions, the home computer and flat screen cameras get turned on to reveal if anyone is home whilst Alexa sits quietly by, ready and waiting for an intruder to ask what the combo to the safe is.

4. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a Hoover upright I bought for a 100 bucks used back in 1983. knock on wood still runs great. the handle is tall enough so its doesn't hurt my achy back. but its so old they don't make parts for it. .

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Now Walmart has some kind of robot type vacuum/floor polisher. It goes around the store, can detect people and will stop if people are too close. This thing is definitely a "Welcome To 2019" type thing.

Mary Stetler and Bess Barber like this.
  7. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

For me, the problem would be that the floors never really gets done all at the same time. It's a constant process that would make me annoyed just watching it go back and forth...room to room. Plus, how does something round get the corners? Or move an ottoman? I don't think it would work for me at all.

8. Yvonne Smith

I bought another Robot vacuum cleaner !
    We had one about 10 years ago that Robin bought, it was a Roomba, and I really liked it. Then we moved somewhere that we could not use it, and it was stored in an area that got a roof leak and ruined it.
    They are pretty expensive to buy, but I have always wanted another one, and last week, I was browsing eBay and they had some for sale. I made an offer of $45 for a Shark IQ Robot, and they accepted my offer.
    It just came today, and we set it up and tried it out, and it does a great job of vacuuming.

This model is SO much more advanced from the Roomba that we had before, and it connects to house WiFi and can map out your house, and you can program it to clean whatever rooms you want to clean. I set up the app, and am going to read through the manual for it, so I know more about using the online controls.
    I named her Sharketta.
    Here is a picture from Amazon of the one I bought, and I am happy that I got such a good deal on eBay !

4F91860D-FCAF-43F5-BECA-7379951559B4.jpeg

Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

The new robot is just the greatest thing ever, and does a good job.
    I changed her name to The Cleaning Lady, and that seems to fit her better.
    So, today, the robot was cleaning, and Poodle was snoozing in Bobby’s gym bag. (We don’t know WHY he likes it there, that thing is full of barbells and such, and weighs a good 50 lbs, so not comfortable.)
    Nevertheless, Poodle likes it there, and was happily napping until he saw the Cleaning Lady heading straight for him. He sat right up, looked at that little robot, and then you could see the panicked look on his little Poodle face “OMG, its going to get me !”.
    He was not even sure which way to escape, but finally made a run for it, dashed by the robot, and hid up in the end table for the rest of the time we were vacuuming.
    Even now, he is not too sure of things, since he can still the the scary creature, happily charging at her docking station.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Ina,

I uploaded a video of my roomba in action in the t5hread "Things that make life easier". ....it works on wood / marble and carpeted floors.
    There are all kinds of models. I was told by the salesperson (Best Buy) to get the simpler one because my apartment is small....it can be programmed to your convenience and is very easy to maintain.

11. Yvonne Smith

Just to let you know something that we probably forgot to make you aware of, @Silvia Benoit . Ina passed away over 3 years ago. When you see the avatar with the wreath and the “Rest in Peace” inside, it means that person is no longer with us in the forum.
    It is also good to check the date before replying to a post that was from an older thread because some of those people are no longer active members here, for one reason or another.

Mary Stetler and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Have one? If you do, which one do you have and how easy to use? If you don't have one, or like them, why not?

My wife suggested to me yesterday that we might get one. All of the floors in our apartment are linoleum. Getting very tired of doing both sweeping and mopping of the floors. Doing both can be "back-breaking", but just doing the mopping wouldn't be nearly so bad. Besides that, we really love the electronic stuff we have, like our Google Home, iPhones, digital camera and Blu-Ray DVD Player.

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Thank you so much, Beth. You have two of them? They both do the same thing, or is one work as a vacuum and the other as a mop?

Actually, I put iRobot in the "search" area and nothing came up. That's why I done the thread.