Is Anyone An Aarp Member?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Von Jones, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Monica Rich

Monica Rich Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Easy to understand: They don't exist JUST off of the public support. They get into the payoff money loop .. they take a stand for and assist in bringing about what the politician wants and give money to the politicians and in return the Polis make rules, regulations, laws and deals with people/companies/countries that prosper them...and around and around the money wheels go!

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I detest AARP...
    stopped membership 15 years ago They send magazine and etc any way.

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My Honey and I have been members of AARP for years and have enjoyed the discounts on car rentals (before we got our Kia Soul), our Consumer Cellular phone plan, etc. I always checked other savings sites but many times AARP had the best discount for us. I also enjoy reading the magazine and newspaper they send. Recently they had a wonderful many page article on medical marijuana. I like how they let seniors know what is happening in our government that will affect us and our retirement years. I like how they warn about the scams that are going on against seniors, etc.

I'm sure I can find something I don't like about AARP or any other association but over all I know I will never agree with everything anyone or any organization does. So as long as the things I like out weigh the things I don't....I will continue to enjoy our membership. :)

Beth Gallagher and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Hi there good to hear from you. AARP seems best for those who travel alot. Only got a discount once on a hotel room many years ago. :(

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

We don't travel a lot anymore...but I still enjoy keeping up with things that are important to us seniors through AARP's magazine and newspaper. And I enjoy the discount on Consumer Cellular and other things too.

Lois Winters and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Lolo but ditch them and you get all info and magazines free. I stopped trying to explain to them what they were doing so I figure if they want to send it to me free ..fine.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  7. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Never received one advantage, being a member. Dropped out.

8. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I am because their health insurance was the cheapest in my area. When my wife is no longer with us, I won't be with them.

Lois Winters likes this.
  9. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My Medicare Supplement is through them but that's all. I never felt that AARP spoke for me. They are just product pushers.

Frank Sanoica and Monica Rich like this.
  10. Monica Rich

Monica Rich Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My spouse and I both agree wholeheartedly!

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am a member because my wife's medical expenses made the AARP supplement the best deal for her, and I guess my membership comes along with hers. Otherwise, I would not be. Most of the benefits of AARP are available whether or not you are a member. I know this because no one has ever asked for my card. When checking into a hotel, simply ask if they give a senior discount. They might assume you mean an AARP discount, or maybe they extend it to all seniors, but at any rate, they don't ask for a card.

12. Gwendolyn LaPierre

Gwendolyn LaPierre Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm a member. I don't pay attention to the politics of it. I suppose that if it cost more I would not renew because, like someone else said, I have never been asked for a membership card and the magazine bores me. I frequently throw it away without even opening it.

13. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I am also. We use the discounts. AARP has lost sight of their goal. Their magazine is geared toward the more prosperous of seniors.

14. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Been a member for 29 years. They tell you where you can get delightful lunches for under fifty dollars at picturesque locations.

I just ignore them.

Hal

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well suddenly I am a believer in AARP discounts. We got our 6 month renewal for Allstate auto insurance, which we have had for probably 40 years. For some reason the full coverage on two vehicles jumped from around $900 to $1220 for 6 months. Um, what??

Coincidentally I received a letter from AARP claiming they could save me big $$ on auto insurance, so this morning I called them. I got a policy for the exact same coverage with The Hartford instead of Allstate, and the premium is $505 for 6 months. That is a savings of over $700 for six months, people. :eek: Needless to say, I will be looking into AARP insurance discounts for our motorhome and homeowner's policies. Goodbye, Allstate! You have had your hand in my pocket for over 40 years but it's time to go our separate ways.

Turns out the "Good Hands" were simply groping around for my wallet.

Yvonne Smith likes this.