Is Profane Language Allowed Here?

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Jo White, Dec 1, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was on a league for years. A friend was League Secretary and talked me into being "Sergeant at Arms." I figured it was a do-nothing position (something I excel at) until I was called upon to resolve childish spats. Lots and lots of childish spats. That included foul language infractions. Selling beer by the pitcher (and the pitcher and the pitcher and the pitcher) did not help the situation.

Non-league behaviour is unmonitored.

Bill Boggs, Bobby Cole and Joe Smith like this.
  2. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Censored.

3. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Worked with 32 blue collar mechanics at a garage for 36 years. Had my full.

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I worked at mostly male-dominated jobs all my life and I learned to tune out profanity and even sexual abuse words. I have heard it all. I rarely cussed in my younger days and when I did it was candy-coated. Early menopause and gravity changed my vocabulary. and inhibitions. Something about standing on my semi-private back patio in the nude at dusk and hosing myself down with the garden hose while cursing several decimals above my breath just seemed the right thing to do.

To address the opening post, I would say curse with caution.

Jenna Parnellson and Joe Smith like this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I will say that gravity can actually help when riding. One can always hear applause at the trot! (no words necessary) :rolleyes:

Joe Smith likes this.
  6. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

What has served me well over the decades:

When in Rome.png

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

She is, of course, referring to herself.......
    [​IMG]

Jenna Parnellson and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

One of the ticks that I have with profanity is that much of it insults the user’s intelligence simply because they’re not listening to what they are saying.
    It’s a given that pain and anger are the two best promoters of the use of profanity but in everyday blah-blah conversation there’s no real place for it nor is there any particular need.

On an ad for French’s Hot Sauce we have a guy saying that he puts that (blank) on everything. Now, we’ve all seen the bottom of an outhouse and we know what the slang version of that stuff is called so why on earth would anyone say that that’s what they put on their food?
    And how is something good S——- as in, “That’s some good s—-“?

If anything, I get pretty grossed out simply because I envision what is being said and I do mean everything that is being said.

For the most part, any time I read or hear profanity being used it’s out of context and since every word spoken has a meaning of some sort, an entire sentence structure loses some validity and frankly, I lose some respect for the person who continually uses such language.
    Of course, when writing it’s often used to emphasize one’s feelings about something but there are far better words and ways one can use to exhibit one’s immediate emotions on any given subject.