It Took About 50 Yrs To Rid Myself Of Tapes On God Etc

Discussion in 'Atheism & Antitheism' started by Joy Martin, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The Ten Commandments are but a small part of the Old Testament. Saying you have never owned or read a Bible is a bit like bragging, "I have never read Shakespeare." I have more than a dozen copies of the Bible around and have read most of most of them and all of some of them. They are in several translations, so they each give a slightly different slant. I used to read a bible daily, but I had to give it up or I would have no faith at all left. I have also read The Book of Mormon and part of the Quran but not all. I have some Buddhist works as well that I picked up in the East.

2. Ralf Mannheim

Ralf Mannheim Well-Known Member
    Registered

The Bible is one of the best collections in the Western Canon, encompassing multiple cultures and over a thousand years of different genres. That's why Harold Bloom and others talk about it often and is an integral part of Western Lit classes.

Reminds me of a professor in grad school who carefully pointed out that the three main founts of Western civilization are the Greek and Roman classics, the Bible, and Shakespeare.

Marie Mallery likes this.