It's Transgender Awareness Week, Nov 13-20

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by John Brunner, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Not to derail the thread but any names I might recognize? I LOVED the food down there. Dined more than once, many years now though, at The Gumbo Shop, Ralph & Kacoo’s, Copelands, the restaurant at the Fairmont Hotel (can’t remember the name now), I’m sure some others I’ve forgotten. We even had a great meal in an alley with a tarp for a roof. To this day I don’t know who provided the food.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yup. Pete Fountain was a friend of mine as well as Frankie Ford. Just to stay on topic, Frankie was openly gay and helped mentor me when I played in The Gallery Circle’s version of Jesus Christ Super Star.
    I disliked Al Hurt immensely but knew him.
    I even dated Louis Prima’s “niece”, as well as one of Joe Marcelo’s female family members.
    I worked at Arnaud’s, The Court of Two Sisters, Antoines and was the Maitre D Hotel at the Monteleone.
    When I opened the Jubillee House I also had the first take out pizza joint in the French Quarter.
    I didn’t open up the pizza place until 2200 hrs and closed at 0400. Busy, busy place!!

3. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Cool! “The Court of Two Sisters”, forgot that one. We ate there. I have an old photo of my mom and my father’s mom eating there. That’s why we went. Looked just the same. New Orleans = good food, good music, good times!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Jaspurr Miller

Jaspurr Miller Well-Known Member
    Registered

"You’re asking me to respect a person based on sexuality." No, people should not disrespect others based on sexuality. There is a difference.

5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Of course and yes, there is a difference but do they not travel hand in hand? Is not one of them just as important as the other? Where is it written that to show no disrespect is respect?
    You wrote that trans people need to be given respect and to that, if I know not the person’s character, how then can I in all honesty, show respect.

Do note though: If a trans man with full equipment walks into a ladies locker room with other women in there, is he asking for respect or to be noticed?
    Answer…he’s grandstanding the same as the guy who walked into the steam room sans proper clothing a few weeks ago at our gym. Since there was a lady in there, from what I understand, he went to jail. If my wife would have been in there, he would have been hospitalized.

All that said, back to your “bigotry” statement. If bigotry is an unreasonable dislike for a group because of their beliefs or actions, how are you any different than those you call a bigot?
    Most certainly, with your very first post in introductions, you came to a full judgement of many here without knowing anything about them. Is that itself not the actions of a bigot?
    You wrote that there were racists here but yet, after all the years I have been on this forum, I have seen none of it. Is not that statement the actions of a bigot?
    Matter of fact, you asked in your first thread what you should do about dropping a good friend without telling anyone what the real problem was. Were you not asking all of us to be bigots for indeed, you were tacitly asking us all to dislike your friend and favor you, were you not?

Virtue signaling would be a wonderful thing if it were not for all the mirrors………..

6. Jaspurr Miller

Registered

You are really stretching the meaning of the word "bigoted." LOL If I were to say that I dislike ignorant people, for example, that is not bigotry. True bigotry generally pertains to dislike and hatred of people who are different from ourselves, for reasons they have no control over, be it be colour, ethnicity, or sexual orientation. Ignorant people are able to make themselves less ignorant by educating themselves, if they want to. Most of them don't.

My initial comments about the members of this group were merely an observation. It appears that most of the membership are right-wing conservatives and many are against gun control, some are pro-Trump, and while there may not be overt racism, there certainly has been veiled racism, as evidenced by the BLM discussion, and a few other threads. As a far-left atheist who is pro gun control, despises Trump, and is an advocate for human rights, I don't play well with people like this. I never said I disliked anyone...well, except for Cody.

If you call me bigoted for defending marginalized people and speaking out against bad politics, that's okay. I am bigoted for the right reasons.

Also, most folks here are in the U.S. and Canadians in general look at the world a lot differently. The differences in our attitudes and points of view on certain issues can be quite polarizing.

So far, I haven't met anyone in this group that I can relate to on an intellectual level, so I'm considering taking my bigoted self elsewhere. I know, I know. I won't let the door hit me on my way out.

7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

BLM was a scam. It sucked millions of dollars from people and corporations. The leaders then spent huge amounts of the money on themselves with houses etc. without helping the black lives that matter so much.
    Blacks are making as much as whites if they know how to work the system. I have denied black renters and rented to black renters. One of my renters is trans. I don't care if people are different than I am but I don't want their differences rammed down my throat.
    Everyone notices differences like a skin color, deformity or port wine stain or personality. And some things turn people off. That is no reason to be rude.
    Bad politics is a point of view. I see Trudeau as a protege of the WEF. Lots of Canadians are seeing that; merely an observation.
    And, lots of people's rights are being set up to be trampled.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

If you simply look up the word, “Bigotry” or “bigot” you’ll see what I quote is exactly correct. The definition you are using however, is for the word “prejudiced.”
    If I stretch any definition of a word, I generally indicate that before using the word to bring it into context.

BLM is an organization, not a race. I vehemently dislike the organization just as much as I dislike Antifa, a white organization. As an extension, since I dislike both organizations, I dislike the people IN those organizations.
    It’s not about race, it’s about thieves, murderers, liars, arsonists, etc.

9. Jaspurr Miller

Registered

"BLM is an organization, not a race. I vehemently dislike the organization just as much as I dislike Antifa, a white organization. As an extension, since I dislike both organizations, I dislike the people IN those organizations." So, this comment of yours demonstrates an unreasonable dislike for a group because of their beliefs or actions. That is the definition of bigotry. Ergo, you are also a bigot.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So , if you dislike a person or group because of what they say, or their actions, you are being reasonable and caring; but if someone else dislikes a person or group because of what they say or do; then that person is a bigot , @Jaspurr Miller ?
    I can’t make much sense from your logic, to be honest.

As far as the people here on the forum, we all have different beliefs and ideas, which we like to discuss; but we all like each other as a person, regardless of their individual beliefs.
    Just because one of us is a believer in God and another is an atheist, we do not hate each other. We often discuss the reasons for our belief, because an exchange of information is a good thing; but attacking another person is never the right thing to do, and personal attacks are therefore not allowed on this forum.

11. Jaspurr Miller

Registered

You can make observations all you want about Canadian politics, but I would advise you to ignore the whining right-wingers who constantly claim our rights are being trampled. That's nonsense.

12. Jaspurr Miller

Registered

Who am I "attacking" personally? I'm just stating my opinions and observations. And I didn't say I hated anyone.

And in regard to the definition of bigotry, the point I was trying to make with Bobby is, you can dislike any person or group for their actions or political platform, etc., but that doesn't mean you're a bigot. BUT if that dislike or hatred is based on the colour of their skin, religion, sexual orientation, that is bigotry.

13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I do submit to you dear that there is a possibility that I have given you too much to think about for indeed, your thinking has gone askew.
    There is nothing unreasonable about disliking those who would divide society into tribes. There is also nothing unreasonable for disliking an organization for sanctioning the burning down of businesses, theft and murder.

Now, if you also like the way BLM and Antifa handle their business, i.e. terrorism, then I might add that you also exhibit those traits of being a terrorist.
    I mean, virtue signaling terrorists are all the rage nowadays, are they not?

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

If I may, i’d like to add something without quoting anyone.
    Words have meanings and very often the definitions are changed by some social construct looking to make some statement no matter how incorrect that statement may be by using those words.

For instance, phobic. Phobic or a phobia is a fear of something and unless one is afraid of those who are transitioning from one sex to another, one cannot be transphobic. Even if a trans person had a loaded gun in his hand and ready to shoot, still, no one would be transphobic.
    Thanatophobic for sure, but not transphobic.

Bigot. If there is a good reason to be against someone or a grouping of someone’s, they cannot, by definition be called a bigot. If there is no good reason however rationalized it may be, it’s bigotry.

Trans, short for transition(ing, ed). If an xy chromosome person likes wearing women’s clothing, he’s a transvestite.
    If that same xy person believes he is a woman, it’s sexual dysphoria.
    Now if that same xy person goes the lengths to become said woman by augmenting some parts whilst relieving himself of other body parts, he is a transitioned man, not a woman although in order to placate the masses, one should refer to that xy person as a woman.

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

And my favorite... "woke." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (I'll just remain sleeping, thanks.)

Bobby Cole likes this.