Jordan Peterson And An Explanation Of The Cross Of Christ

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Don Alaska, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Peterson is a wise man and just recently came to believe. I do agree with much of his politics but not sure about his religious views.
    I also think Solomon was correct in his belief that, " much wisdom brings great sorrow". My understanding is we can't know the truth our fleshly minds can't comprehend it.

3. Marie Mallery

Registered

I have learned alot just by others correcting me when I misunderstand. Correction is very helpful in my case anyway. Everytime I thought I found contradiction somebody proved me to wrong.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Peterson does indeed open up a grand dialog which sadly, isn’t concentrated on enough by our learned pastors.
    Giving one’s total attention to Christ crucified and the horrors and injustice involved with it doesn’t give ample attention to looking past the cross to Christ resurrected or rather, the light that shineth in the darkness.
    Note: I may not have cared a lot for some of the narrator’s thoughts on the subject but he did do well in that he spoke no untruth.

As a talking point and one that should be piggy backed on, I did like him bringing up the analogy of looking at and past our fears using the bronze snake as the object of a crossover from old to new testament scriptures.

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have one friend with whom I can discuss politics (and other life stuff) without either of us staking out emotional ground. It's extremely beneficial. I'm very lucky.

6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We, too, are fortunate to have two couples with which we can discuss things.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  7. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

During my lifetime I've had relatives, friends, and colleagues with whom I've discussed (argued) political, religious, and other issues about which we strongly disagreed. We were, are, able to do that without damaging our relationships. I enjoy participating here, even though I frequently (usually?) disagree. It would be boring to always agree. We learn things by arguing.

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

In that case we should all be geniuses by now,:D Or full of wisdom.

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just to add to yesterday’s post, there was something nagging me and I couldn’t quite place the statement until I was reminded of it today.

Ghandi is quoted as saying, “The enemy is fear. We think it is hate but it is fear”.
    It could be that some of the things we hate the most turn out to be the very things we fear the most.

II Tim. 1:7 says, “For God has not given us the spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind’.
    By itself, the verse implies that we should indeed look past fear to experience a reality of the true gifts that God has readied for us. There is power beyond fear, love beyond what we fear and very importantly, without our fears weighing us down, we do indeed experience a sound mind and in extension, a sound mind finds peace.

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Well said, @Bobby Cole. Fear has taken over thee world, and we are not better for it.

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered