Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Patsy Faye, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It just seems absurd, but then, many laws do. Besides the fact that most jurors are a far cry from legislators.

2. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm really not interested, and it's not that complicated. But thanks.

3. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Except for the one time I served, I could always count on being rejected.

Why? Because of my last name. My late husband had to appear often in court, presenting the State's recommendations.

All of the judges and most of the attorneys recognized the name and as soon as someone pronounced it correctly, I knew I was out the door.

One judge dismissed me, probably because he had threatened my husband with Contempt of Court a few days before.

John Brunner and Tom Galty like this.
  4. Reen Davis

Reen Davis Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've never been called and as I'm now 70 yrs old the chances are probably slim that I will be - thankfully.

I've always had an issue with jury service because of 'my interpretation' of 'thou shalt not judge' and the
    story in the bible of the woman who was sentenced to be stoned - where Jesus says to the crowd who are
    gathered to carry it out - "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".
    Also - 'Do not judge or you too will be judged'.

I would find it impossible to judge someone as being 'guilty' even if all the evidence made it clear that they were.
    As I said above though - this is purely my own opinion/interpretation.. Perhaps other Christians see the issue differently ?

5. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't think your quotes are referring to obvious signs of guilt like murder or rape. If I was a juror and the prosecutor had clear evidence that a murder was committed, i.e., on camera, eye witnesses, DNA on the murder weapon, I would have no problem giving a guilty verdict.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'll not try to dissect it biblically, but it is an interesting intersection of "punishment/forgiveness/retribution." I'd most struggle with the application of the death penalty.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Emma Potter

Emma Potter Well-Known Member
    Registered

I haven't been called for Jury Duty in a long time. Last time I was called I had 4 baby squirrels that were 2 weeks old that I was rehabbing. Their tree was cut down and mom died in the fall.They had to eat every 2 hrs. I was on my way to the room where they tell you about the trail and if you know anyone.
    Getting out of the elevator I was talking to the woman next to me saying that I hope we get of here soon, "I have 4 babies at home starving". I didn't know that one of the lawyers was behind me. She said: "you can go to jail for that"! I said they are baby squirrels not human babies. I'm a licensed rehabber.
    Well, when the judge asked the twelve potential jurors if there was any reason why they couldn't serve, that same lawyer pointed to me and said she needs to go home to feed babies..... she was a squirrel lover. Judge excused me. Haven't been called since then.
    Now before 9/11/2001 I would bring them with me, and feed as necessary.Nobody knew I had them there. After 9/11 I couldn't have them go through an x-ray machine, so I had to start leaving them home, and worry the whole day. Then deal with de-hydrated babies all night.

8. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've done jury service. I didn't enjoy it but it was an experience. When the first letter arrived I had to fill in a form, I was hoping I wouldn't pass the selection process, but I did. I was nervous on the first day and had to watch a film about courts and jury service. I was one of the first to be called into court, when we had a full jury we went up a back staircase which led us to the jurors door then into court and the jury box. It was quite nerve wracking.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, even though I've never done Jury Duty, I've watched Perry Mason, Matlock and the movie A Few Good Men many times.

I'm only hoping that either the entire jury will be cancelled for my "report day" or my number will be cancelled.

10. Jessica Morgan

Registered

I'm a Christian and I don't feel like I judged the defendant when I did jury service, it was if there is enough evidence to get a conviction, and in the case I was on there wasn't enough evidence so he was found not guilty by a majority verdict.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Weird that this thread popped up recently; my husband got a jury summons yesterday for January 23. He's not thrilled. :D

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Oooh attys do not like me..literally - so no worry here

13. Richard Joseph

Richard Joseph Active Member
    Registered

Why?

14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Too questioning during the process of jury selection. Not really manipulated.. only way I know to describe it.

15. Jessica Morgan

Registered

Why, what have you been up to?? (⁠.⁠ ⁠❛⁠ ⁠ᴗ⁠ ⁠❛⁠.⁠)

Hedi Mitchell likes this.