Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Patsy Faye, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Will have to wait until tomorrow to find out anything...........show up or cancelled. I have the County's Jury Duty Schedule website online and have been checking that. If my number shows up, I go, if I'm part of those Do Not Report I don't and am done for the year. They have Monday's listed and: 134 to Report and 694 do not. So, that was a total of 828 that received a Jury Duty Notice in the mail.

If my number shows up tomorrow on the website as Do Not Report, I don't call and it states on the website that they don't want anyone who is in the Do Not Report column to call. If my number is on the Report list, I will then call to see what time I have to be there. I have my "business dress" clothes ready, as in Docker slacks, long-sleeve shirt and dress penny loafers.

If I do have to report, perhaps, once they find out about my hearing aids, I will be disqualified and/or the number of miles on our Durango (177,845). Last time I got a Jury Duty Summons (Jacksonville, FL.) the day before I was to report, I called and my number was among those Do Not Report.

Really hoping I won't have to go, but..........

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Took a look at our County Jury Duty Schedule a few minutes ago, for tomorrow (1/10/23) and Jury Number was part of the Do Not Report list. So, I don't call in either. Boy was I glad of that!

I also done some research about those that are a "no show" on their designated date, that were on the Do Report List and the consequences can be hefty for not showing up. Called "Contempt of Court". What can happen is a Bench Warrant be issued, police come to your home, arrest you and take you to the court to face the judge and explain yourself. Don't know how often that has happened, but I sure wasn't going to be a "no show".

In most states, the highest age to get a Jury Duty summons is 70 years old, but Colorado isn't one of them. I'm 73, so in those states I'd no longer be illegible for Jury Duty.

However, it could be highly interesting to serve on a Jury, but, for me........"no thanks!"

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Well, I got called for jury duty again! I lived in a county many many times this size of this one (2,000,000 people vs 33,000) for over 45 years and got called twice (served on one jury), and I've only been here for 12 years and this is the 3rd time I've been called. My term starts Monday Sept 12 and ends on Sunday Nov 12. Dunno if I'll get called or not. I have before, but I've not been selected to serve on a jury.

Crap.

To Cody's point: Next year I'll be 70 so can request an exemption if I wish. As he stated, Colorado has no age threshold where you can request automatic exemption. In fact, these people are exempt from jury duty in Virginia, but are not in Colorado:

-Military
    -Elected official
    -Police
    -Firefighter
    -Disabled person

I wonder why Colorado is so strict. Maybe their jury pool is shallow relative to the number of trials they have. Or perhaps they give those government workers a pass but don't exempt them by law.

Here's the website where you can look this up by state, for those who are interested.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Wear a mini-skirt and carry a half dozen masks, shave your head and smear yourself all over with Purell and demand to be called Ms or shim.
    Tell ‘em you’re more than willing to serve on the jury as long as everyone sits 10 feet apart because you’re also a germaphobe and a vegan who only eats cabbage and broccoli and can’t control your gas.
    A bad case of Tourette’s whereby your main cringe is “Off With His Head” would certainly get their attention too.

On second thought, if they don’t put you on the jury, you’ll be a shoe in for the far left entry for the Presidency so…..never mind.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
    Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  5. John Brunner

I was gonna wear this:

[​IMG]

6. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ya know what? After voicing the same opinion & getting negative, insulting remarks from people, I thought I was the only person who thought that way.
    Yes, our jury sytem (and our justice system) is really pathetic. I think we do it that way because it's cheap. I'd NEVER serve on a jury or have anything to do with it. But, if we had jury duty as a profession that required school & a degree, i would have gladly chose that profession.
    I like that old quote: Jurors are a group of people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty."

Mary Stetler likes this.
  7. John Brunner

I've often thought the same thing myself. But our system permits us to be judged by our "peers," and the way things are these days, I don't trust a system of "professionals" to not be corrupted or politically influenced. I think what needs to be fixed are the rules of evidence and courtroom conduct. Juries need to be presented evidence without the histrionics and hyperbole of the lawyers. And circumstantial cases should not be brought...innuendo is not evidence. I fear verdicts often boil down to who the best sales guy is.

8. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

i rec'd 2 jury summons in this year......first one.....on a friday...before the Monday jury date.....didn't have to go after 2 days of anxiety....til I could call Sunday evening to see if i still had to go.......they cancelled...
    next summons...3 months later...
    i was very upset angry...summons specified that i park in obscure lot...3 blocks away...it's 20 miles a day to go there...criminal court...no cell phones allowed.....glares from defendant's entourage....
    3rd floor court room....bleacher type seats...restrooms..basement...
    2 flights down....lunch?
    i took paper poke with sandwich..
    they asked if anyone had any reason to speak privately...i raised my hand...
    i assumed I'd be speaking to judge..they took me to room...opened door ..and there's judge...both attorneys..plus defendant..and baliffs..clerks..etc..
    first thing outta my mouth .
    "this ain't private "..quietly to clerk..
    judge said...we have to protect defendant's rights....i said "I understand "..then tears...no voice came to me...he asked me couple questions..i answered quietly..trembling underneath...
    they let me go

9. John Brunner

Where was this, Teresa?

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I've been called a few times but never had to serve. I was called as a witness a couple times, but never had to testify. I lead a charmed life. The great fear here is to be called for a Federal Grand Jury. I believe that is a three month term and you have to report (I think) every day for the term. That involves a long drive and almost 3 months away from home duties and work if you are still employed and not retired. I believe that eligibility goes away at 75, so I am safe.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

That is an unconscionable requirement. No one can take a 90 day sabbatical.

Here's what I found on the USCOURTS.GOV website:

Pay of $50 a day; eligible to receive up to $60 a day after serving 45 days.
    Note: Employees of the federal government are paid their regular salary in lieu of this fee.

The Jury Selection and Service Act (link is external) forbids any employer from firing, intimidating, or coercing any permanent employee because of their federal jury service.

Your employer may continue your salary during all or part of your jury service, but federal law does not require an employer to do so. You should check whether your company or employer has a policy for employees serving on jury duty.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I'd love to do jury duty, but I was never called when I lived in California, and although I was called up several times while in Texas, I was dropped during the first round of draft picks. I would guess this was because I was a paramedic. Although Maine has a low population, I've never been called for jury duty in Maine.

13. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

Crawford county Illinois

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Lambert Regenlöf

Lambert Regenlöf Well-Known Member
    Registered

Most people think it is important to be and to present themselves as objective, fair, unprejudiced. That soul has not been born.

Honesty is the best policy. During questioning of potential jurors, try one of these.

"Yes, I have already decided about this case."

"It's a bad law. Even if he did it, I would vote him innocent."

"He looks guilty."

"I know all about 'jury nullification'."

"If he wasn't guilty of something, they wouldn't have brought him in in handcuffs."

"I don't like the police. They're always arresting innocent people. He looks innocent to me.'

"I always support the police over criminals like him."

"I have to pee. I mean, like every 15 or 20 minutes."

They will excuse you.

But next time they call me to jury audition, when the bailiff says raise your right hand and "Do you promise to ...", I'm going to say " No!", and see what happens.

15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Every employer I have had continued the salary if you turned in whatever you were paid to serve on the jury. I guess that was to prove that you actually served and didn't skip out.

John Brunner likes this.