Jussie Smollett Arrested

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Maggie Mae, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Remember,
    a lie is a lie!
    No matter how Smollett is.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

What I found interesting was that after the DA dropped the case a Judge called in a special prosecutor to send him to trial.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Kim Foxx is the Cook County’s prosecutor’s name.
    Looking back to the beginning, I had thought that in some ways allowing Smollett to walk was a safety issue or perhaps even blackmail viewing the condition of the country after the George Floyd incident.
    Chicago already has one of the highest murder rates in the country and adding BLM’s propensity to seemingly legally burn stuff down when given the least bit of provocation might have been her motivation for not prosecuting Jussie.

That all said, even after the sentencing we have Kim Foxx saying the whole trial was mob justice so whatever my thoughts on the matter were, are pretty much trashed by her own statement.
    The majority of black folks didn’t believe Smollet’s fanciful tale so how is it that Foxx did even after reviewing the evidence? Dunno but I do believe it’s all about race and nothing more. She didn’t want to put a black person and moreover with some celebrity status behind bars.

Ken Anderson and Tom Galty like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

So post trial and sentencing, we have Smollett insisting and yelling that he isn’t suicidal. Now, the trial proved what kind of a liar he is so therefore they placed dear Jussie in the psych ward for a full evaluation with a risk of suicide as the reasoning.

Initially, they were just going to evaluate him via therapy but nope, that wasn’t quite enough so they put him in a ward where he can take antidepressants, talk to professional therapists and wear new orange clothes.
    Sadly, from what I understand, there isn’t a Subway Sandwich Shop in the psych ward when he gets hungry at 0200 hrs.

Al Amoling and John Brunner like this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I guess the greatest punishment for people like this is that when the dust settles, they're still gonna be who they are.

Al Amoling and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Strangely enough, there’s been a philosophical / psychological debate going on for centuries as to whether anyone truly has the capability to change.
    One side goes more toward the theosophical aspects whilst the other merely states that no matter what we are outwardly, inside, we never change.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

Define "change."

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Therein lies the rub.
    There are some who maintain the leopard changing it’s spots axiom is a credible example of a person’s inability to change who they ultimately are. And, even if they could, they would always hunger for what they were, meaning that any change would be a facade. Not unlike the spotted leopard, should the spots disappear the leopard would still seek to kill for food and do all the things a leopard does.

As for me, the above is a wide rationalization for those who do not want change. From birth to death we are in a constant state of flux and have the ability to evolve into whatever we truly wish to be, from the inside first, then perhaps the outside.
    To think further, the Gospel would have nil meaning if change were not possible for the very essence of the Gospel is built upon change. A change of heart and a change of mind. A 180 degree turn so to speak. Throwing away the old and putting on the new.

In the case of Smollett. Even after all the evidence that was presented, instead of bowing his head in sorrow and apologizing, he maintains to this day that he is innocent. Somehow, he apparently likes the way he is and believes that his deeds were perfectly legal and ethical.
    Can he change his mind and become a better person? If he wants to. But will he?

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

Jussie ain't found his "bottom." He never may.
    -Prison might be an "OMG, look at what I've done to myself" experience.
    -Or prison might be an "OMG, look at what they've done to me" experience.
    Even if it's the latter, it may be another step towards "bottom" for him. Or he may never reach it.

Regarding radical change in general: I saw a guy speak on this once and he asserted that most people do not make fundamental changes until they have an "S.E.E.", which is a Significant Emotional Experience. Something truly life-altering happens (e.g., a near-death experience) where the things we hold dear no longer have any meeting. Then the table is cleared. Of course, some people have those experiences and they cling to old behaviours even tighter merely for the feeling of security they bring.

Regarding the Biblical aspect: if radical change were not possible, we would not have had Paul. Talk about the poster child for redemption, and for never discounting what someone may become.

Regarding life in general: Many people just need a face-saving way to be brought into the light. No one likes to admit they were wrong (even to themselves.)

Al Amoling and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

So…..he served a day whilst processing then another day in jail and 3 days in the Psych ward and ZAMBO…..he’s out.

It was determined that by the time his appeal would be processed, his no felony sentence of 150 days would be served so the door was opened and he walked.
    Now, in a way I can understand the reasoning but two factors do come into mind:
    1. He was remanded to Psychiatric Care. Not just jail for his evil deeds but because he’s a mental case.
    2. I am sure that there are other prisoners who have appeals and who are presently serving non-felony sentences so what about them?
    Based on the precedent, will there suddenly be a surge of prisoners hitting the streets?

12. John Brunner

Meanwhile, the Jan 6 protesters continue to sit in the gulag with no Constitutional due process.

Beth Gallagher and Al Amoling like this.