Kitchen Gadgets

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Beth Gallagher, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Seems like some seniors are still accumulating gadgets, appliances, and other stuff they will not ever need or use when they leave their home for other living arrangements.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Not everyone does that, you know. A lot of people remain in their homes throughout their lives, or move to smaller homes.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I intend to remain here until I die unless my wife dies first, then plans would have to change. I am drooling over a trail mower to pull behind the tractor:rolleyes:.

4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

True---Some will remain in their homes, but will they still use the STUFF or let the Care Takers use it?

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Everything I have purchased in recent years has been with my wife in mind. She doesn't do well with pull-started engines, so everything recently purchased has been self-propelled and electric start except the chain saws, which she is uncomfortable with anyway. I may get a a cordless or electric saw for her. My big chainsaw has been passed to my youngest son, as it was too big for me to use in normal circumstances anymore.

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I can’t use the gas-fueled equipment any more either, @Don Alaska . Back when Bobby and I first got married, I had a Ryobi cultivator, which was large enough to do what I needed to do, and small enough for me to use it.
    Now, I have one of the cordless battery operated ones, and all of my weed eaters are also either cordless or electric. I really like the cordless ones, and all I have to do is keep the battery pack charged.
    Since we do not live in the country like you do, we don’t need as much equipment; but Bobby does have 1-2 chainsaws, plus his big weed eater and other lawn tools.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

What kind of shows do they play at a wee theater? It sounds exciting.

I can still use a gas-powered chainsaw, but I am mechanically too inept to get them to start half the time. I'm fine with them when they are new but once they get to be a few years old, I can't start the damned things, so I usually use my electric or battery-operated ones.

8. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

eh, better off just juicing it up :confused::rolleyes:o_O!

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Do get your wife the little Sthil battery chainsaw. I have one and love it. It is amazing and cuts as fast as any small Sthil gas and is much safer and fun for things like log carving. It can be used indoors in the kitchen for cutting meat! < the last comment so as to stay on the thread topic.

Don Alaska and Ed Wilson like this.
  10. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Still using mother's mother 100+ year old metal ones here along with biscuit cutters and rolling pin.

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I have a set of those as a backup for when my main ones are in use (heavy cooking days.) So far they've worked out fine.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

It just occurred to me that I have a passion for things that chop and shred. Outside, I love weed eaters, rototillers, and maybe even saws. In the kitchen, I just can’t seem to have enough gadgets that process food.
    We have several blenders, including the Ninja Auto IQ Pro, the full-size Ninja blender with all of those chopping blades, a Vitamix, and a large and small food processor.
    Oh, and don’t forget the Veggie Bullet that slices, grates and also spiralizes, plus a couple manual spiralizers.
    I forgot to add the mandolines, but I don’t use those very much.
    I am really sure that I have more than enough of these; but I can’t stop myself from browsing them on Amazon. I wonder if they have a Food Processors Anonymous ??

What brought all this out was that today, I put away the little food processor that just chops things, and brought out the larger one with the chopping blade and the shredding/slicing disk; because winter is coming and we will be chopping up more veggies for soups and stews now.
    Thus far today, I chopped all the veggies for our Greek Salad for lunch, and then I cut up my pineapple and made it into crushed pineapple, and then did the same thing with some apples; so now I have a quart jar of each to use on my breakfast cereal or with cottage cheese.

13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I have 3 sizes of Cuisinart food processors on my counter. The big powerful one I have used twice in the several years I have had it. The other 2 several times but not enough to justify me having them. My Cuisinart toaster, water heating pot, and can opener get used daily. All my small appliances are Cuisinart. I have the mixer, chopper, blender, and some I have forgotten about in the lower cabinets. I lost my good sense collecting Cuuisinart a few years ago. I haven't purchased any since 2019. I am proud of myself for finally coming to my senses.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  14. John Brunner

A few years ago I broke the cover/chute for my circa 1980 Moulinex La Machine. I was gonna buy replacement parts, and noticed the plastic vents in the side were snapped off. Thinking they may have been in the machine, I picked it up and shook it. It sounded like someone had emptied a hardware store in there!!! I can only image how many screws and washers and pins had shaken loose over the decades...but it still worked. I decided to replace it with a Hamilton Beach. The Moulinex was such a beast, and the Hamilton Beach says it needs to run for a minute/rest for a minute. There is no comparison, but what are you gonna do?

So I now have the Hamilton Beach for the large jobs, a mid-sized Oskar (±1 1/2 cup capacity) for the day-to-day stuff, and a small Chopster (±1/2 cup capacity) that is perfect for mincing stuff like garlic and herbs. The Oskar is nice because the shredder disc is part of a diverter system that dumps directly into an external bowl or a plastic bag, so you don't have to keep emptying the thing...capacity is limited only by your external storage.

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. John Brunner

I have maybe 6-8 of these towels with a magnet stitched into the corner:

[​IMG]

Walmart carries them for something like $1.50

These are great because they don't slide off of the fridge/freezer handle and end up on the floor...they stay at the exact spot/height you stick them. I have a bunch because I go through them before it's time to do laundry.

I couldn't find them on Walmart's website, I suspect it's because they are an item brought in by a 3rd party vendor (they're only in Walmart's database to support checkout pricing), who puts them wherever they feel like on any given week. One week they might be by the towels, and the next week they'll be with the kitchen gadgets on one of those plastic hook type racks.

Don Alaska and Ed Wilson like this.