Kitchen Gadgets

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Beth Gallagher, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm making a different "no-knead bread" today, in a LC dutch oven. I used the Danish dough whisk to mix the dough and it worked GREAT. The dough did not stick to the whisk at all! I'm on the second rise so we'll see how this loaf turns out. Anyway, I recommend the Danish whisk if you are a baker.

Von Jones and John Brunner like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Registered

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeh, baby. That's the one. That's a good price.

You might get the urge for doing some jerky or dried fruits & veggies. Dehydrated yogurt is an easy & delicious snack...just buy some dehydrator sheets, spoon on dobs of your favorite flavored yogurt (blueberry is very good), and Dry, baby, Dry. Roll-ups are also pretty good.

The only knock I have on these is the air fryer is pretty limited on what you can make, because it's in an open oven cavity where anything greasy (like chicken) will drip onto the elements and the inside of the thing. And I've never used the slow cooker function.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The thing I wonder about with dehydrating is the length of time the oven has to be on. Seems like that would shorten the life of the appliance...?? Also, I saw a few videos of people using the air fryer function with parchment paper in the basket and/or a "drip tray" underneath. Not sure if either of those is recommended, though. Honestly I don't think I'd use those functions much if at all, but the sale price on the oven makes it the same price as the next lower model.

And of course... my original Breville is still working fine. That thing is over 7 years old now and it gets used at least 5 days a week. :oops:

5. John Brunner

I wondered the same thing about wear on the fan while dehydrating, so I bought a dedicated dehydrator. And I, too, wondered about putting catch-pans in during an Air Fry cycle...wouldn't that disrupt the air flow or block heat from the lower elements?

I use mine a lot, too. Many times it's just to defrost/reheat stuff or to toast bread (I don't have a toaster), but I just set an 8" cast iron skillet in it to preheat for making corn bread tonight. If the size of the Model 900 oven cavity is larger, you will be able to fit in a bigger bowl to proof your breads...that's where I proof mine, and I use a very large bowl when I make 2 large loaves of Italian bread. My dedicated dehydrator has a proof cycle @115°F while the Breville goes as low as 80°F, so I proof in the Breville.

I forget what model you have and what the differences may be.

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I have seen a lot of people use foil or other stuff in an actual air fryer; never could figure out why because those (drawer type) are so easy to clean. Plus they are covering up the bottom vents that allow the hot air to circulate... but you know how "they" are. :D:D

My old Breville is the 800XL... https://smile.amazon.com/Breville-B...sprefix=breville+smart+oven,garden,132&sr=1-7 I use it just about every day for something... from cheese toast to casseroles.

7. John Brunner

I've used the air fryer a few times. Most times are to heat up leftover fries (although I've reheated fried chicken a couple of times and dripped a little grease.) The only "from scratch" recipe I've done is Loaded Potato Bites, which were riced potato balls with all the baked potato toppings you could imagine rolled in. They were good, but I only did them once, so they weren't that good.

I cannot figure out the differences in oven cavity cubic inches...you know what it's like trying to figure out Breville dimensions. Breville's website says your oven's overall dimensions are 19" x 13.9" x 14.1" while Amazon says the oven cavity is 18.5" x 15.7" x 11.1" That's not physically possible, and Breville's website does not spec the oven size for your model (and those Amazon dimensions would be nearly 2 cubic feet.) The Model 900 oven (per Breville) is 1 cubic foot, which is 12" x 12" x 12"

If all you're getting is air fryer and dehydrator functionality (and maybe a little space), I'd spend those Amazon bucks elsewhere...unless you're really worried about End Of Life for your existing oven. And the Model 900 is sold out on Breville's site.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I think the easiest way to think of the size difference is that the 800 makes 6 slices of toast but the 900 makes 9 and is taller. :D Honestly, mine is plenty big enough for what I use it for and I know I wouldn't use most of the presets. (I don't use many of them on my old oven.) Except for the fact that mine is over 7 years old now I guess I don't have a reason to buy. I'll come in off the ledge. :D

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

I don't blame you at looking for a replacement before you need one. I picked up a brand new FoodSaver vac machine to have as a backup. I think the factory had it at 20% off or something like that. It's not as nice as the one I've got, but I don' mind spending money on cooking stuff, for all the obvious rationalizations.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Somehow that "backup plan" seems to backfire on me. At least 3 years ago I bought a Keurig coffeemaker during Black Friday sales because the one we had was sputtering and acting like it was dying. Well, the "spare" has been on a shelf in the laundry room, brand new in the box ever since. The old one just keeps chugging along. A few months ago my vacuum sealer appeared to be finally wearing out; it must be 10-15 years old. So I bought a new one. The new one is still in the box and the old one is wheezing along. I'm running out of space for the "just in case" items.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Earlier I cooked some sliced bacon in my Breville. The convection fan started making a loud noise. :eek: I thumped the machine on its side and the noise stopped. Hmmm.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

How long do you have before those Amazon points expire???

As I said, Breville is out of stock on the Model 900, and they were tough to get when I bought mine. I'm sure you know someone who would love to take your 800 off of your hands.

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I don't believe they ever expire. (I've never kept any long enough to know, lol.) Yesterday I gave my 800 a good cleaning and hit the outside with stainless polish; it's gleaming like new.

How tall is the cavity in the 900?

15. John Brunner

The cavity within which the elements are mounted is 10" (I measured from floor below the lower elements to the ceiling above the upper elements.) With the rack at the lowest position, 7 1/4" might juuuust touch the top element.