Kitchen Gadgets

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Beth Gallagher, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I wrote in the Ebay thread about my hunt for a Griswold cast iron skillet and Texasware mixing bowl. I got a bee in my bonnet for the Griswold after watching a Youtube video where a woman showed her favorite cast iron pieces; she cooks with them daily. Griswold cast iron was made in Erie PA, and the plant was closed in December 1957. I scoured Ebay until I found a #8 (10.5") Griswold in "restored" condition for a ridiculous price, but it kept calling to me until I hit "Buy It Now." Of course I immediately had buyer's remorse over a frivolous purchase but it shipped today so it's a done deal. :D

This is the pan; it's a "small block logo" model and is characteristic of Griswold iron cast cookware made in the period from 1939 to 1957...
    upload_2022-8-4_12-5-21.png

Here's some info on Griswold cast iron if you have any interest... https://thepan-handler.com/griswold-cast-iron/

The Texasware bowl was something I've looked at from time to time. They are basically ugly melamine bowls but are suddenly "a thing". I bid on the bowl but the auction hasn't ended; maybe someone will outbid me. :D:D

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They are very nice pans. Several years ago, my wife was able to buy a shed full of them from someone in Northern Maine. She sold most of them on eBay, but kept enough for us to use, and that's pretty much all we use.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I understand that Griswolds are very sought-after now (and the prices prove that, lol). I read that they are lighter weight cast iron; do you find that to be the case? I have an old no-name skillet that was my mothers, plus some newer Lodge pans.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

We've had Lodge pans, and may still have one, but I haven't noticed a weight difference. My wife would know more because she did a lot of research on them. I think she has a couple of books on them that she bought so that she could price them right.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Does anyone have one of these, or something similar? It's an under-cabinet jar opener.

upload_2022-8-4_13-46-16.png

It's cheap and has good reviews so I think I'll order one. Seems like a lot of jars are harder for me to open these days. Any other recommendations for this type of gadget?

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We have a few of them.. My wife's uncle (now deceased) used to make them as gifts from old hack saw blades. We have another "factory-made" one as well and one that is hand-held from Pampered Chef. They work fairly well and are helpful, especially as our hands weaken with age or arthritis

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

I bought one a couple of years ago and installed it beneath one of our kitchen cabinets. Then we both forgot about it until my wife rediscovered it a few weeks ago.

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Great review! :D:D

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know about lighter weight but they are harder to find than Lodge. We have both and my hubby bought me an old:) Lodge Dutch Oven!!! with a lid! for Christmas one year.
    I think They had 'Lodge' pans for sale at Cracker Barrel in Indiana on the way home. But I definitely don't want made in China Lodge pans.

11. Ken Anderson

After decades of no-stick pans, it turns out that cast iron pans are easier to clean and they certainly last a lot longer.

12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I love cast iron cookware, and used it exclusively before I got married. Wife put it away as too heavy, but she has brought it out in recent years and is especially fond of the griddle. The "fine" cast iron IS lighter as is no longer made. I don't know if old Lodge castware was fine, as I haven't come across any, but much of the cast iron form the beginning of the 20th century was listed as "fine" and can most easily be determined by the interior, which is ground and polished to a fine surface to make it even more stick resistant than modern seasoned cast iron. It is generally also much lighter, as the casting were finer, and if they cracked, they were just melted and re-cast. Modern production wants to turn out as much cast iron as possible, so re-casting is not done. If a cast breaks, it is discarded. Since "coarse" castings are less likely to break, they are what is produced in modern production facilities. If you can find the "fine" cast iron of old, keep it and pass it down to children and grandchildren if you can, as it will last forever if cared for, and is not produced any more.

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

They're harder to find because the original "made in Erie PA" Griswold pieces haven't been manufactured since 1957. Lodge is still churning out 3 MILLION pieces of cast iron a month in Tennessee! I love the old stuff; I have my mother's old no-name skillet and a griddle pan; the finish on them is as smooth as glass.

Oh... and FYI, the ceramic-coated Lodge pots and pans are all made in China. (The Le Creuset knock-offs.) Only the original cast iron is still made in USA.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I don't know if they are easier to clean because some things will definitely require scrubbing, and then you should "re-cure" them with oil in the oven. But they cook evenly and can't be beat for cornbread, biscuits, etc. I have read that tomato-based (or high acid) recipes don't work well in cast iron, either.

15. Ken Anderson

We don't have to do that often, as long as we don't let anything dry inside the pan.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.