Knitting

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Jeanee Burke, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Maisie Walker

Maisie Walker Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I started knitting when I was 9 years old and it was on 4 needles then. Mainly balaclavas and gloves and socks for the troops.That was nealy 80 years ago.I only wish I could do it now but with the Rheumatoid Arthritis I cant hold the needles now. Many things are now knitted on circular needles to save a lot of sewing of seams but it can get very heavy for those who have problems with their arms.

Don Alaska and Patsy Faye like this.
  2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I watched my grandmother and Mom knit, crochet, embroider, and sew. Couldn't lay hands on any of it, their projects in the making I mean. I taught myself by watching them until I got it right. Still today I can't knit anything straight unless I purl or use a circular needle. I tried counting stitches and still crooked. What's up with that? Reading how-to books just doesn't help either.

I throw my not-likeable hats into my granddaughters toy box and they were them proudly or carry other toys around in them.:)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Carol Knott

Carol Knott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, I enjoy knitting. I pick it up and knit daily for a few days or weeks, then leave it for a while. Thing is, I'm not all that skilled, but what the heck. I've knit for charities, and for friends and family. It can be expensive if you get carried away with buying high end yarn, but if you shop at Hobby Lobby or Michael's it is very affordable. And utilitarian, to boot!

Babs Hunt and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Welcome to the forum, @CarolfromTX ! We have several people here who enjoy knitting and/or crocheting, and I am one of them. It is kind of an “as I feel like it” hobby for me, too. Usually, I knit in the winter when it is cold and miserable outside, and in the nice weather, then I can do outdoor things and enjoy the sunshine.

5. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

i crochet--mostly aftgans--i have a turbo knitting machine that i make scarves and hats for charity--i also crochet shoulder warmers for nursing homes

Babs Hunt and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Which kind of Afghan do you crochet?

afghan-rug.jpg afghan-dog.jpg afghan-person.jpg

Yvonne Smith and Babs Hunt like this.
  7. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

the ones you wrap up with ----- i dont crochet dogs

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Denise Richardson

Denise Richardson Veteran Member
    Registered

Years ago I would knit children's house shoes and they loved them. It's been so long since I did that I don't remember how now. Since then, I have taken up crocheting. Now I crochet what I call "chemo blankets" and give them to the people that is taking chemo treatments so they can stay warm during the treatments. I enjoy doing this for them and they enjoy it also.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

I think that we have talked about online book websites like Bookbub and Book Gorilla in the reading threads here on the forum; but I thought that some of you might not know that you can also get free patterns for knitting and crochet (and many other hobbies) from there as well.
    Both websites are free to sign up, and then you choose the topics of books that you are interested in, whether it is fiction or non-fiction, DIY, educational, cooking, or hobbies.
    The books are always (or at least almost always) priced under $3, and many of them are free or only $1. I have gotten lots of crochet books this way, and some of them are complete sets.
    Once you have the book, you can either follow the pattern from the book online, or you can print the pattern out on your printer.
    I subscribe to both websites; but I have found that I get more of the hobby kind of books from Book Gorilla, and they also give away a free Kindle Fire every day, so when you get your list of books, you can enter the drawing for the Kindle, too.

10. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for the information.

Also Ravelry has many patterns. Many free. You do have to sign up but it's free also.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

12. Rosie Sinclair

Rosie Sinclair Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was taught knitting at school and my mum was constantly knitting and I'm the same. I only have myself to knit for now, but still enjoy trying out new designs and patterns. The last jumper I made was very unusual as it was started at the neck and worked downwards. It actually turned out very well.

13. Yvonne Smith

Hello from a fellow knitter, @Lady Rosie , and welcome to the Seniors Only Club forum ! Glad to have another knitter here with us,too.
    Under announcements at the top of the main page, there is an area for introductions where you can let everyone know that you are here, and tell us a little bit about yourself.
    We all use a first/last name for this forum (you might have noticed that) instead of usernames, and you can choose any name you like as long as it looks/sounds like it can be a real name.
    Some of us use our real names, some just make up a name they like.
    At the top of the page, if you will click on your name, it will bring up a box with selections, and one of the choices is name change, and you can put your new name in there.
    If you have questions, just ask and we will all do our best to help you get acquainted with the forum.

Bess Barber likes this.
  14. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Rosie Sinclair

Rosie Sinclair Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks for the welcome. Are you saying I should change my name?