Kombucha

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 20, 2023.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I will try to answer all of the questions, @John Brunner .
    I bought several flavors of kombucha to drink to see if I liked it and I saved those bottles and I re-use them. Then I found the swing-tops on sale and bought 6 of those, so I use all of the bottles over and over.

I make the kombucha in two large gallon jugs, and always have one that is ready to do the second ferment. I use a half gallon jar for times when it needs to actually sit and ferment, like when I added the hops.
    Otherwise, I just use frozen fruit juice added to about a half gallon of the ready kombucha, and bottle it right away. Then, I leave it out for 4-5 days for the second ferment because I LOVE carbonation.
    After that, it goes into the refrigerator for another day.
    With the rotation, I always have some in every stage of the fermentation process. You can also just siphon out a cup of the plain kombucha and not do a second ferment. I have done that and it tastes okay, and a lot of people just drink it plain and uncarbonated.

I didn’t get a crock, and it has not been an issue just using the glass jars. They are kind of under the kitchen cupboards, so not in any direct light, and I have the large blue towels over the top which also helps keep out the light.

What I would suggest is to start the same way I did, and get a few bottles of bottled kombucha at the store and see if you enjoy it, and if you feel a difference after drinking it. Be sure to get the refrigerated bottles, not the canned stuff, so that you get actual live kombucha in it.
    Synergy is a good brand.
    Here is a picture of some of mine, stored in reused Synergy bottles. I think the carbonation is better with the swing-top bottles, but the plain bottles do carbonate if you tighten the lid down good. You can see the carbonation bubbles at the tops of the bottles.

IMG_5109.jpeg

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Thanks for the explanation, Yvonne. I read one site that said it's easier to start with plastic bottles because you can tell when it's fermented by how hard (swollen) they get. And I'm glad you said "refrigerated." I put kombucha on my shopping list, thinking I would find it in the soda aisle.

It sort of reminds me of my dad bottling homemade root beer. And crocks are real expensive these days (we had a couple.) They have been for a while, if you can even find them.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

This week’s experimental flavor is Root Beer !
    Since we have sassafras everywhere, I put some of the branches from the small sassafras saplings in with the fermented kombucha, along with a bottle of root beer pop (the kombucha eats up all of the sugar from the pop), and left it to do a second ferment.
    Today, I checked it and it was kind of a root beer taste; so I took out the twigs, added a little more sugar to make it carbonate, and some root beer concentrate from my Sodastream flavorings.
    It actually tasted pretty good, and even Bobby said so when I gave him a taste. So, now it is bottled up and sitting on the counter to carbonate for the next 4-5 days, and then it should be ready to try by next week.

4. Yvonne Smith

I stopped making kombucha last fall, because when it is cold, I drink more hot drinks and not anything cold, and the kombucha was just taking up space in the refrigerator.
    I am going to start making kombucha again, and should have some ready to drink in a couple of weeks when the weather will also be warmer for drinking something cold.
    I think my body is starting to crave it again, and I got some from the store, but it makes more sense to make my own , plus it costs almost nothing to make kombucha and is expensive to buy at the store.

I have been checking to see if my hops have started to sprout, but so far they have not. When they do, I am going to move them where they have a better fence to climb than we had last year. The hoppy kombucha turned out really good, so if I get hop berries this year, I can try making kombucha with my own hops !