Lack Of Content

Discussion in 'Notices & Announcements' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have no problem with an occasional video, if it fits the conversation. But it seems like the forum is being bombarded with videos these days. Every thread is full of Youtube content and I do more scrolling than reading. I'm not watching all those videos; if that was my goal I'd be on Youtube instead of a discussion forum.

2. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't know about others, but I seldom watch a "long" youtube. First, I scroll across the bottom to find the length. If its over 10 min. , I ignore it. Just like a long post, if its over 3/4 of a page, I don't read it.

Why don't those who post videos or you tubes, just summarize it if its very long. Or, why don't they give the essence of it, such as look at 5.39 min. to 7.1 min. to see the point they're making, for example. Just name the topic. If I'm interested, I'll do my own research without any help.

3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I suspect if every post, that at least one member wasn't interested in, were deleted, there wouldn't be any left.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am again seeing a plethora of news, blog, and opinion articles that are simply posted verbatim, with little or no unique content. Please, while it's okay to post a link or to quote a section of an article, it's important that you add your own content to it. At least read the article closely enough, yourself, so that you can paraphrase it or, better yet, tell us why you think it's important, how it might tie into whatever point that you're trying to make.

5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

We live in a copy and paste world. A world where swipe has replaced type, a world where one's own words and thoughts are only noticed if they are famous. A meme that has gone viral and seen thousands of times draws more interest than an original very clever one posted for the first time.

I agree we as seniors can do better. We as seniors should have the time to make one great post rather than spend that time with twenty copy and paste. Here is a consideration. I find many seniors will not read lengthy posts. Post using several words that are not often seen or heard in conversation is another consideration. Not everyone is impressed or interested in how many unique words a poster can use trying to impress others.

I enjoy a challenge such as your post above using the word plethora. I knew what it meant in general but looked it up for further understanding. Had you used just two more rarely used words in your paragraph that required looking up, I would have stopped reading because it would distract from your basic message.

The question arises as to what anyone can post without resurrecting the dead horse and beating him again and again for pages and pages. It takes some thought and organizing to put together an original post, especially if it is written from mostly personal knowledge from life experience. It seems these quality content posts get little interest and many times cause conflict with others that have to always best that poster. This discourages quality content posting and makes the old unoriginal copy and paste game a more popular route.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I hope this does not come across wrong - but why is it necessary to pick to pieces posts? Granted some are to long, some too short ,bad grammar, misuse of words, etc.
    To me just trying to stay on topic of a thread is often hard. My concern is that if too much focus is on being correct and proper it might turn people off. I do realize we all need to be more alert to our postings, but I do not want feel criticized for some feel is a bad post. :rolleyes:
    As for videos does not matter to me.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

(in red above): Because Ken pays for this forum and, whatever he sees necessary to help it, he will request.

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think Ken is picking apart posts, he just wants a different type of seniors forum than can be found elsewhere. I am not criticizing anyone's posts, just giving my opinion of why copy and paste is more popular than original thought posts. For many, forums are a hit and run as they participate in many forums plus Facebook, so time is of the essence. I enjoy all kinds of posts even the ones considered no content.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    Hedi Mitchell and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When any members of a forum start being pick on, then I don't like the posts. It's happened to me before. "Why can't we all just get along" isn't really a saying that goes with any forum, due to differences in opinion. People get upset and end up posting things that shouldn't be allowed in a forum and on and on.

Ken has to try, and note the word "try", to control any problems that crop up.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Your posts are always wonderful, @Hedi Mitchell , and I (for one) look forward a whole lot to reading the posts. Your posts are exactly what Ken asked for people to do.
    You share your own thoughts, in your own words, and ways of expression. You never, ever put people in the forum down, and always post caring words for people who have a difficulty or sickness in the family.
    Often, posting a video really helps explain a thread topic, or adding a link with more information about the topic.
    However, sometimes people only share a link or a video, and no other content about the topic or what they think about it, or even why they are posting that link.
    When there is nothing except a link or video, and no explanation, I seldom even click on the link.
    If it is pasted from elsewhere, and is easily accessible to anyone (we have had posts that were nothing except pasted sections of the Bible), then it usually does not add anything to the conversation.

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Got it.. and thank you

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

13. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Forums need content. If the best one can do is copy and paste then I’m all for it. It's probably something I would not have seen otherwise. Paraphrasing is plagiarism in a sense when one can read the original. Pertinence to the original topic is the key. Verbosity is not a trait shared by all.
    [​IMG]

Al Amoling and Nancy Hart like this.
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I hope this is a good thread for posting my concerns about a change I see in SOC. I think it is because many of us have given up some of the interesting things we used to do and readers are tired of our reminiscing which has become repetitious.

A good example of what I am trying to convey is posting about accomplishments like the train Frank designed and built. He is not on the forum due to health and certainly not able to do things he loved to post about and many times accompanied with photos. If we go search some of the early posts, we see a guy that made amazing furniture. He was gone before I arrived.

I know we have a few members that still do things and live lives that make interesting posts and we also have several excellent writers that make any topic interesting, but it seems to me that as members age and do less, we see a decline in what I will call a higher content thread or post based on personal experience and even a decline in lesser in content threads with original thoughts, photos, etc.

I include myself in struggling to post about things of content without repetition that while once having fresh content, becomes stale with repetition.

I wonder if others are also finding fresh new topics, especially those of high content, difficult to come up with.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I find reminiscing to be endlessly interesting, but not necessarily the same things over and over, although I've certainly repeated myself from time to time. As long as the story doesn't change drastically from one telling to the other, that's okay too. I enjoy reminiscing and I enjoy reading about things that others have done.

However, we get new people all the time.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    Faye Fox likes this.