Lack Of Content

Discussion in 'Notices & Announcements' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 5, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

But haven't we all initially put up interesting posts about the things the we have done and the hobbies that we have had? Once that plays out, then we're reduced to talking about the mundane day-to-day stuff or not talking at all. And COVID plus the current political environment have put a damper on things.

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I just thought of a nice video for answer to this,:D.

John these are trying times and people are on edge.:eek: and some days the smallest things irritate.:mad: We just have to guess the days they don't feel good.:cool:

John Brunner likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My only interest in forums is to have a bit of socializing on my own terms. I prefer a conversational environment where people share a bit of their lives and interests and get to know each other. I don't come here to learn anything unless I'm curious about something and want input from other people. Some topics interest me and some do not; that's life. I don't consider content when I post, and if I have to put a lot of thought into something I'm not going to bother.

I also find myself drifting off-topic on threads; that's just the way a conversation evolves. I understand that it is annoying to some and perhaps even a bit disrespectful of the original poster's intent... but it isn't done with malice. It's just the way conversations go.

Many times I read a thread and don't respond. I just don't have anything to add or perhaps I have no interest in the topic. I very seldom click on links and even more seldom watch videos unless they are very short. I appreciate that most people add jokes, pictures, and videos to existing threads and don't clutter up the place starting a new thread for each video. So many similar threads simply make it more difficult to navigate.

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Exactly! How do we revive that spirit of old or can we? I am thinking about the art of repurposing as a guide for making old subjects interesting but so far how to do such is eluding, me. The easy solution is to dress it up with cosmetics, but cosmetics are easily wiped away whereas repurposing creates a fresh new topic.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  5. John Brunner

I don't know. It's not the spirit that I lose, it's the desire I have to not be repetitious. Once I've talked about making picture frames and there's been a period of interaction, the topic is finished, until someone may resurrect it with a fresh comment.

That's one reason to go through the legacy threads with fresh responses. That is where the "I am new here...let me tell you the interesting things I've done" comments reside.

Bobby Cole and Marie Mallery like this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I think that sometimes if we post with no concern for content, we actually create a thread that as a whole has content. Controversy is what adds content to a thread in my opinion as long as everyone makes valid points, not just I disagree. I also like a forum where people get to know each other and Ken's rule for this forum, that we all use real-looking names, really adds to that. I don't really like forums with handles. It seems so impersonal.

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

I figure most people are here to basically socialize with others, so although I may not care a lot for some subjects, I still try to comment to let the others know they are noticed. And likes do not always mean I particularly like the comment but that I did notice it.
    Some of us have vision or hearing problems so for some videos are not so good for others they can relate a message easier than correcting typos, but I also see they can be a problem when used too much. And no way am I going to write out an article, after first couple sentences of typos and frustration of bad vision I'd forget what I'm talking about. o_O. But I usually do write a little something about the subject.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thanks for reminding me I need to put on some makeup since I've revived the spirit of old big time today.
    All this kings lango from you and John is a little much for this old serf.o_O
    : the rain in Spain falls mainly in the plain'.:D

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok I have read all this . We need a have Read button. a comment to a post is not always needed ,but least the poster would know it was read.

Von Jones, Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  10. John Brunner

What?!?!?!?!? You read my comment but you did not Like it????????

We need to talk...

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The forum gives you the number of views that a thread has had, but not an individual post.

Von Jones likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Then we also need a "yawn" button and a "shut up" button. :p Then we won't have to type any responses at all. :D:D (J/K, Ken.)

13. John Brunner

We need a this button:

[​IMG]

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

We also need a "dead" button for topics driven so far in the ground they are disturbing the dead. Maybe a tombstone icon. :) If your post gets a reply from Lon, then consider it embalmed and buried. :D

15. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

You mean like this? :D
    forehead slap.jpg