Laser Sights, Boresights And Rifle Scopes

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Now, John, if you want to hear/read about something very funny, here it is:

Just opened the Sight Mark .22 Laser Boresight. From my previous post, you know that it's a boresight with a black wire connected to the end and that wire goes into a small plastic box that contains two batteries and has a on/off switch. Now, the instructions that came with this is for a boresight that batteries go inside of it, like the MidTen Boresight I bought on Amazon for our 9mm. This company, Sight Mark does make boresights for other calibers, but they aren't operated thru a box containing batteries. Only the .22LR is operated with batteries in a plastic box.

The manufacturing date on the boresight we got from Scheels is August 2021. Apparently people don't buy these boresights for their .22 pistol or rifle to sight them in. Then again, I really don't know just how popular .22 pistols or rifles are today.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

John, yesterday used the Sight Mark .22 Laser Boresight on our Sig .22 and it worked out great. I was somewhat surprised that it even fit into the chamber, but it did. However, I kept the slide open while I adjusted the Crimson Trace Rail Master Laser Sight on the Sig. Got both completely matched in the middle.

Next I will be trying the Ruger 10/22 rifle and the Henry Lever-Action .22 rifle. For the Henry, will wait until the Caldwell Stand, on Amazon, comes to us.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

John, got the Caldwell Stand from Amazon, put it together and it worked nicely for using the .22 Boresight and "sighting in" each scope on both our Ruger and our Henry. The Stand is all heavy-duty plastic, and the middle section can come out to use as a handgun stand.

It will be entirely too cold for us to go to the Range tomorrow (Saturday), so, will have to wait for a warmer Saturday to come along.

Nice thing is, since I can use the Boresights (9mm and .22) in our living room to adjust both rifle scopes, the Red Dot and the Red Dot Laser, we don't have to waste lane rental time at the Range doing it. I just left two targets on the wall by the living room. Bottom target for sitting and top target for standing.

The Caldwell Stand is very nice, because both the Ruger and the Henry can get pretty heavy standing up holding them to boresight them. But, after I match the boresight with the scope, I will then stand up and how they look on the top target.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's good. I'm curious as to how accurate they are in the real world.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

John, I got out the Sig "Mosquito" .22 and S&W 9mm sd9ve yesterday to recheck the boresight alignment in each. The Crimson Trace Rail Master Laser and Boresight alignment was still perfect, but the 9mm, with the Red Dot Optic, definitely wasn't. The elevation was pretty off from the Boresight Red laser light, so I started turning the elevation screw to bring the Red Dot Optic up. May have turned it too much and messed up the elevation adjustment, because the Red Dot Optic wouldn't move up or down now.

Looks like we will take the Red Dot Optic Laser off and buy another Crimson Trace Rail Master Laser for the 9mm. At least the Rail Master Laser light is put right on the target, whereas the Red Dot Optic isn't. Much easier to do a Boresight alignment with a laser light rather than a Dot Optic.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. John Brunner

The 9MM was the one where the wires came out the end of the slide, right? I assume you've not been to the range yet. That makes no sense alignment would get changed just sitting in a box. It doesn't wound like the boresight is being consistent from session-to-session.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

It's not the boresight, it's the Red Dot Reflex Optic on top of the handgun, that was previously totally aligned with the boresight, but not yesterday. This Optic has two adjustment screws. One for "elevation" (up/down) and one for "windage" (side-to-side). The elevation adjusting screw is the one that is messed up. I think I adjusted it too much. The "up and down" adjustment won't work now.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, John, the Red Dot Reflex Optic is going to GO (be taken off)!!

Was at the range yesterday AM, and my wife was shooting the 9mm, but, like last time at range, had a very hard time bringing the Red Dot into view. IOW, bringing it into the middle of the optic.

Last time at the range, both of us were shooting the 9mm way to high and hitting above the target into part of the ceiling, which is above/behind the target. For whatever reason, the ceiling wasn't damaged at all. But, yesterday, one of her shots hit a fluorescent light tube hanging from the ceiling. We heard it pop and fall to the floor. She let a salesman know and he said "bring the barrel down! Don't worry about the light". So, at that time, we stopped shooting the 9mm.

Decided right then to buy the Crimson Trace Rail Master Red Laser like we have on the Sig .22. This laser was originally on the 9mm, but we took it off when we bought/had installed the Red Dot Reflex Optic. My wife fell in love with this Red Dot Reflex Optic when a guy at the range showed it to us on his handgun. But, we had never used one to actually shoot with.

In using the Sig .22, after a complete matchup (twice/recheck) with the boresight and Crimson Trace Rail Master Red Laser, we were hitting the target at 7 yards with darn good accuracy. A number of shots either in the middle or close to the middle.

Will not shoot the 9mm again, until we get, and install, the Rail Master Red Laser, on it and take the Red Dot Reflex Optic off.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, John, the company that makes this Tactical Reflex Red Dot Sight is going to send us a new one. I will return the one we have and explain to them what happened.

I've already taken it off of the 9mm. Easier than I thought to take off. When the new Crimson Trace Rail Master Laser comes in, I will attach it to the 9mm.

Now my wife wants a 380 ACP pistol. Has a little more recoil than the .22, but much less than the 9mm. As she is getting older (turned 75 last month), it has become harder for her to handle/shoot the 9mm. Should've probably bought the 380 in the first place, but "oh well".

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  10. John Brunner

Who makes that sight? I like that level of customer service!

Regarding the .380-I've always liked that round for carry. It's light, accurate, and goes "Bang!" Walther and Sig make nice .380s, while Bersa is fun for plinking but I would not bet my life on it.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

ADE Advanced Optics made it, but I bought it thru Amazon. Actually, I had to send them two e-mails, thru their website. I called them, but nobody answered, which was strange, so I left a message. In the e-mails, I asked them if they could replace with new or how much it would cost to repair. They told me they were sending me a new one, along with a prepaid USPS, to send mine back to them with a note telling them the problem/problems I had. I'm also sending back the adjusting screw screwdriver that came with it. The tip broke when I tried to turn the screw.

We don't "carry/conceal" or anything like that. Walther, Sig and Ruger have the 380, but so does Smith & Wesson at a high cost. As for "protection at home", we'd rely on the 9mm.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We got the Sig P365 380 ACP today, plus ammo and extra magazine. Will be buying a boresight for it on Amazon. Not sure if we will buy another Rail Master Laser or try and use the new Red Dot Optic we have coming in. Do know this, the Rail Master Laser is a whole lot easier to use than the Red Dot Optic.

And, btw John, with the Sig P365 380, we got (came with it), an Easy Reloader.............so don't have to buy one of them.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

I like SIGs. I cut dead-center every time I've shoot one, but I don't own any...they are a little too bulky for me to carry.

So is that Easy Reloader a "thumb saver"; that is, does it slide around the slide to compress the spring? I have several easy loader/speed loaders, in several different designs. This is a basic one for an AR-15:

[​IMG]

This is for my revolvers:

[​IMG]

This is a thumb saver:

thumb saver.jpg

I wish I hadn't looked for those pictures. There are some pretty slick designs that have come out since I last bought one.

14. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We used to use these at the range. It took a couple minutes of practice to learn the sequence but once learned, super easy to do. I bought one for myself after using them for a while.

https://www.maglula.com/product/uplula/

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, John and Thomas, which do you consider better, if you have a choice: red or green laser (mounted to rail under barrel/slide?

Also, what do you think of a Tactical Reflex Dot Sight (Red Dot), which mounts on the slide in the rear of a handgun (above hammer)?