Laser Sights, Boresights And Rifle Scopes

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The human eye is most sensitive in the green part of the spectrum but it’s so easy to make small, high powered lasers now that I don’t know that it matters much. My personal preference for a laser is red.

“Red dots” on a carbine are the cat’s meow. I have one on my handgun, G19 MOS, and love it because of my old eyes, got impossible to focus on the front sight. On a handgun, it takes practice to bring up the gun and acquire a rapid sight picture. For slow fire/marksmanship, I find them wonderful, I’m significantly more accurate and enjoy the shooting more.

One personal preference comment, I really dislike batteries in things like this so I bought a dual-illuminated RMR from Trijicon. I got a largish, yellow/orange dot. They’re a bit pricey compared to some but, again, no batteries and very rugged.

https://www.trijicon.com/products/product-family/trijicon-rmr-RM03-RM04-RM05-RM08

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Green is more visible under bright light conditions.
    Red is more visible under dim light conditions.

Regarding the the Tactical Reflex Dot Sight...is that a holographic sight? I put one on my AR15 and don't like it. I went back to my iron sights. You might like it for target shooting, but for other uses I prefer open sights. That's why I went with the internal sight for my Glock...it does not interfere with the factory sights, and it does not interfere with my holster (nor can it get misaligned.)

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Quite pricey! Using batteries don’t bother us and we have a couple of extra new ones in carrying cases.

Thomas Windom likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, it’s a halographic sight. If it’s adjusted right, with a Boresight, it looks easy to use. But, so far, we have to find that out. Apparently it can be very easy to knock “off-sight” after firing a 9mm bullet. The recollection can knock it out of place.

5. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was working at the range when I got it so I got a good price on it. I’m not sure I would have gone that route if I had to pay full price.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, all who are following this thread, here's the update of the Sig P365 380 ACP we bought this past Saturday at Scheels Sporting Goods (hope this isn't too long, so, here goes):

It came in a heavy-duty plastic case w/foam insert, two magazines, a Quick Loader (which is sort of worthless IMO) and a key "wrap around" lock. We bought an extra magazine. Magazines aren't cheap and this one was $45! Of course, Scheels is considered a "high end" store. And now, for the ammo: Wanted, specifically, "target" ammo and read the Sig Elite Performance 95-105 GR a round was the best. They didn't have this, so ended up with Fiocchi "Training Dynamics" 95 GR. Actually, the salesman, a very nice former law enforcement officer, showed us the Hollow Point type, until we told him that we only shoot at range targets and don't "carry or conceal". And, which was very nice, due to my previous military service (Navy) we got 25% off our purchases. I was wearing my Navy ship baseball cap that has a picture/ship name/number on it. It was the first Destroyer I served on and went on WestPac Cruise/Vietnam on in Dec. 1968.

On with the update: Got home and ordered another Crimson Trace Red Laser from Amazon, like we now have on the S&W 9 and a green one on our Sig Mosquito .22. This Sig 380 is "supposedly" laser/light ready. Well, I took the Red Laser off of the S&W 9, to see if it would fit the Sig 380.............but it didn't! No matter what I did, I couldn't get both sides of the Red Laser to go on both rails of the Sig 380. So, cancelled the Crimson Trace Red Laser I had ordered on Amazon an off-brand Red Laser that I thought would fit and connects to the bottom of the trigger guard. Then, ended up cancelling that one, because the top of the laser that sits on each rail on each side of the slide/breach, were very, very short. Then, I found the Sig Sauer Red Laser and it's rails were twice as long and it also has an indicator light for "low battery". It was $128 on Amazon. It also fits under the trigger guard and that is where it is turned "on and off" at. A sensor is there, that when touch with second finger, it goes on. As soon as your finger leaves that area, the laser goes off. IOW, no "on and off" switch on the side.

So, for the Red Laser, I had to cancel one Crimson Trace and one off-brand and got a specific one for the Sig 380.

Now, for the ammo, magazine and Quick-Loader: The ammo goes into the magazine straight, but zig-zigs back and forth in the magazine. Even with the Quick-Loader, it was very, very hard to get the ammo into the magazine. Each magazine is suppose to hold up to 10 and I barely, at first, got 5 into each. My other Quick-Reloader are much, much easier to use!

Next, and last, the Boresight: I thought, and I was wrong, that the 9mm boresight would fit. However, when I put it in the chamber, it wiggled too much. So, I ordered a Sightmark 380 ACP Boresight w/Red Laser. Specifically, for a .380. Now, just waiting for the Sig Sauer Red Laser and Sightmark Boresight to come in from Amazon.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

And, one other thing, ADE Optics sent me a new Red Dot Reflex Optic, but it didn't come with the attachments that go under the optic to attach to the firearm with. So, I had to dismantle the "stripped screw" optic I had and use the parts I needed to go on the bottom of the new one. They also sent me a pre-paid USPS envelope to put the old optic in, to send back to them. I included a note describing the problem of the "stripped screw".

IOW, we aren't loosing any money on this Red Dot Optic, since I got a new one, but it will sit in our cabinet since we haven't got anything to put it on. It's way, way to big to put on the .380. Sig Sauer has their own Red Dot Optic for that firearm.