Let’s Talk About The Meta, Or Is It Metaverse?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Janice Lynne, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Janice Lynne

Janice Lynne Well-Known Member
    Registered

OK, this tech hasn't arrived yet, but I'm guessing it will solve all the world's problems when it does.

laughs

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Mark is all about connecting with other people as long as no one talks face-t-face and he has access to everything you say and do.

Janice Lynne likes this.
  3. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When I saw some info about Facebook on the news last night, their address "1 Hacker Way" doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Janice Lynne and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Janice Lynne

Janice Lynne Well-Known Member
    Registered

Haha, If he gets this thing working, and manages to make wireless VR glasses small enough to walk around in all over the place, it could get pretty comical out there on the real streets.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I really don’t have a lot of input on the subject but that doesn’t mean I’m not interested.

I just saw an ad for Meta and it had a dad in the Carolina’s and a daughter in California.
    They threw the gear on and behold, they went fishing together at a virtual lake or pond.

In the past I have seen a movie or two with people donning their headgear at a computer and having experiences in a bar, nightclub or in space but it seemed rather cartoonish as did the ad I mentioned above.

I’m wondering how real the tech is going to be and with that, I’m wondering about the chances of people getting stuck somewhere in a total un-reality of some sorts.

Okay, talk to me……

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Um I don't know. I saw that also. Personally I think that is in part what is wrong with todays society, No real togetherness like the old days. I suppose virtual meetings are ok and better than nothing, for some, but I would prefer the real thing. Kind of like a acting hologram, is what they are promoting.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Ralf Mannheim

Ralf Mannheim Well-Known Member
    Registered

There's a documentary about this entitled, "The Social Dilemma."

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

So, was there something in particular that you gleaned from the documentary?

I saw it before you posted the suggestion and the only thing I got out of it was a lot of anti-facebook feed.

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

The best knowledge one can have comes from experience and I have little to no experience with the goggled up virtual thing.

Some feeds I have read say that one can do literally do anything on the metaverse like being someone you want to be instead of who you are or go somewhere and feel like you’re actually there.

I realize that the biggest promoter of the “MV” is Zuckerberg so for that reason I’m not so sure how to react to it but overall, I’m inclined to do a lot more research on it and possibly even go for that “experiential” knowledge.

Edit: I did actually buy a really cheap set of virtual goggles 3 or 4 years ago and it hooked up to my Iphone photos but it was more like those 3-D viewers we used to have years ago. Ya know, the ones that had the circular disc with slide photos of Yosemite and such.
    It is as I wrote, they were really cheap so they wound up in the trash can.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My first reaction is it's like any technology...
    Could be something good/could be something bad/most likely will be both (just like television.)

Imagine exploring the universe in your own "be there from any angle" spacewalk. It would make a planetarium--or even a real [limited] spacewalk near Earth--seem so primitive.

Also imagine that it takes the masses one step further from reality and human interaction, making us so comfortable "there" that we really don't want to be "here." So as long as being "there" is the new reality that does not get interrupted, then others can do anything "here" they want to.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I think the latter part of your post is what a lot of people are afraid of. People flocking to the matrix as it were.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

Capitalism has taught us that every life problem can be fixed or avoided (including aging) if you just buy the right product or insurance. The slaughter of our coping skills has caused an aversion to "real life." I would venture to say that the chaos that's being created might in part be intentionally driving us to a higher fantasy content in our lives.

I was mentioning this to Ken in another comment...when I quit drinking I became drawn to French movies because they do not have the saccharine-sweet ending of American movies. Things do not always end well. They can't. What would the point be?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I remember back when a video game called Dungeons and Dragons was on the market. At least, that’s what I think the name was.
    The point is that kids got so wrapped up in it that a couple of them committed suicide.

Then there’s the gamers who stay in front of their screen playing for so long that a few of them have been found dead from dehydration and such.
    More have even kept a bucket next to their station to uh, do their chores in and still others take uppers so they can stay awake long enough to complete their game.

If the next wave of entertainment tech is so personalized and so easy to insert one’s preferences into, I dare not to envision what the consequences might be.
    My goodness, whilst doing some research I came across some thingy that allows one to buy one or several girlfriends or boyfriends. There are apparently thousands of images to choose from.

Dunno.
    The one thing I’m certain about is that there are no actual bathrooms, food nor water available on the metaverse so ya know what kind of laundry mama is going to be doing again, unless of course mama isn’t locked into some Meta romance or minding her perpetually growing garden herself.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    John Brunner and Ken Anderson like this.
  14. Ralf Mannheim

Ralf Mannheim Well-Known Member
    Registered

From what I remember, it argued that social media was weaponized to influence social behavior, and for hire by those willing to pay, that it involves key players not only in mainstream media but also in Washington; that it is used for surveillance, able to analyze what people believe in, spend on, participate in, etc.; that it involves more than just Facebook, that it has psychological effects on individuals by making them isolationist, physically withdrawn, and lost to reality; that several of those who developed such platforms backed away because they realized the harm that they were causing; there were some more, but I can't remember them.

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  15. John Brunner

The descriptions of staying in front of a game for days oblivious to all else reminds me of Monopoly.

Mary Stetler and Bobby Cole like this.