Live Concerts You've Been To

Discussion in 'Music' started by Marie Mallery, Oct 21, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

One of my favorites was August 1974 'The Georgia Jam' at Fulton County Stadium in Atlanta, Ga.
    Alman Brothers was lead band, but Greg over dosed on stage his first song and was carried off stage on a stretcher but Marshall Tucker, ZZ tops, Lynyrd Skynyrd more than made up for it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    Jenna Parnellson and Jake Smith like this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, lets see now: Back in the late 70's, I believe, I went to the old John Wayne Theater at Knott's Berry Farm (amusement park) in Buena Park, CA and seen the original Paul Revere & The Raiders. That's when Keith Allison and Mark Linsay were with the group. Also seen The Mama's & The Papas at the same theater, but Mama Cass had already died. Mackenzie Phillips, daughter of John and Michelle, took her place on stage.

Around the same time (late 70's) I went to a Rock & Roll Revival at Knott's Berry Farm. Don't remember all of the old groups I seen, but, do remember seeing The Grassroots. The lead singer, Rob Grill was still alive then.

Then, sometime in the mid 80's, I went to Anaheim Stadium (Anaheim, CA) for Concert Day At The "Big A". AC/DC were there along with Ted Nugent and (don't remember).

Then, sometime after 1992, I went to a big Country Festival in San Bernadino, CA and one artist I still remember seeing was Martina McBride. Again, there were others, but don't remember those.

Now, when my wife lived in Michigan, her dad took her, her younger sister/brother to the Copa Cabana in NYC to see the original Supremes. That was in 1965.

Since wife and I met, March 2000, we seen:
    Chris LeDoux at a County Fair and he had a concert once in Laughlin, NV that we attended. Actually, his one song, Look At You Girl, was the only song played at our wedding.
    Then, at the same County Fair, we seen The Village People.
    Back in 2005, we went to Fremont Street (Las Vegas) and seen Paul Revere & The Raiders. Darrin Medley (Bill Medley's son) was lead singer.
    And, a company that my wife use to work for, hired John Fogerty for a concert that we attended.

Would've loved to see, in concert: Styx, ELO (Electric Light Orchestra), Boston, Deep Purple, Heart, Brooks & Dunn, George Strait, Garth Brooks and a few others, but since we have all of these groups, and more, on DVD (in concert) don't need to or would even want to. Had, at one time, thought about going on an "Oldies" Cruise, where old rock groups play, but just too expensive.

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

Cody y'all have seen lots of good bands,both C&W and rock.

I saw Paul Revere and the Raiders in 1965 at a teen dance at Misty Waters in Decatur Ga. saw lots of the pop bands at that location, Sam the Sham [ Wholly Bully], Swinging Medallions and many others.

Those were the days ,lots of good music.

Jake Smith likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have also seen Paul Revere and the Raiders, before most people had heard of them; I hadn't. I have also seen Pink Floyd, the Grateful Dead (several times), Yes, Cheap Trick, and a bunch of regional bands, some of which released albums. I lived within walking distance of The Forum in Long Beach for a while, so I took my son to see some other groups that he wanted to see, but which I wouldn't have otherwise bothered with. He was at the age where I didn't want him to go alone and, plus, he was only 13 years younger than me, so I don't think he felt embarrassed to go with his father. Actually, Yes was one of them, and it turned out that they were pretty good in concert. After Pink Floyd released The Wall after a period of not doing much of anything, my son brought the album home. Although the album was new, I recognized the sound and my son said something on the order of, "You wouldn't know who they are." He was shocked to learn that I had seen them in concert, and they were older than I was.

Marie Mallery and Jake Smith like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Wait a minute, Ken, wasn't The Forum in Englewood, CA, part of Los Angeles area? From what I remember, it was the Long Beach Arena in Long Beach, CA.
    I went to my first rodeo at the Long Beach Arena around 1984. And, had a PRCA rodeo at The Forum in Englewood, where the Lakers use to play. It was called the Forum Championship Rodeo.

Jake Smith likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

I think it's called the Long Beach Arena now, and may have been officially named that then, but it was known as The Forum at the time that I lived in Long Beach. I don't know if that was the official name but it was known locally as The Forum. I lived on Ocean Avenue, only a few blocks away.

Jake Smith likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I just read on Wikipedia about both, The Forum and the Long Beach Arena. Here what it said about the Long Beach Arena:

"The arena was the site of the first NHL game involving a 1967 expansion team, as the Los Angeles Kings and the Philadelphia Flyers, both expansion teams, played on October 14, 1967, the Kings won 4–2. The Kings played in Long Beach for the first half of their expansion season while The Forum was being completed."

So, from what I've read, the Long Beach Arena was never called The Forum. Wikipedia says The Forum was in Englewood, CA.

Jake Smith likes this.
  8. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Mostly, Charlie Daniels, it was free in Jacksonville, paid at Fox in Atlanta, to see his Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute. Greg Alman a few times Jacksonville Fl., Elvis Presley at Atlanta Omni, Gary Lewis Jacksonville, Drifters Myrtle Beach S.C., Foghat Myrtle Beach S.C., Waylon Jenning, Willie Nelson, Kris Kostofficen, and Lee Greenwood, Atlanta Fairgrounds. And some more will come back later and add more. Working with the boat now. :) These were the 70s and 80s, will have to come back to add dates.:D

Ken Anderson and Marie Mallery like this.
  9. Ken Anderson

::Sigh::

I lived in Long Beach for a few years, and have never met anyone local who didn't recognize the arena in Long Beach as The Forum. I didn't say that it was officially named that. I can think of a lot of buildings that are commonly known as something other than what their official name is. If you had lived in Long Beach in the late 1970s, you would know the facility as The Forum. You may, or may not, know that it also had another name but you wouldn't be confused when someone said they were going to a concert at The Forum in Long Beach. Maybe that's because Wikipedia wasn't around then.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Many venues change their name over the years, can be confusing when talking about performances at them. You and Jen probably went to the same one.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, both The Forum in Englewood and the Long Beach Arena are round. But, the Long Beach Arena was built first and then came The Forum.
    Actually, Three Dog Night done a concert at The Forum and it was recorded into an album, called Three Dog Night Live At The Forum.

And, Garth Brooks done a concert called Coast-To-Coast Garth Brooks that started out at the Forum in Englewood. We've got that entire Coast-To-Coast concert.

12. Jenna Parnellson

Jenna Parnellson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well. Saw the Stones maybe six times, starting in 1966. The Who, the ... well, I lived in San Francisco where Bill Graham was putting on shows at the Fillmore Auditorium, and then the larger ice palace?

Saw a zillion bands. Really a great time.

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Sounds like you had a very good time at concerts, being from Atlanta I saw a few famous locals,

14. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I never had the cash, mobility, or inclination myself.

It does remind me of something I recently heard though:

Shit-kicker bar full of oldies and most insist on crowding the tables near the stage. Music starts and they pull out their hearing aids and put in earplugs to dance and twitch randomly like zombies with no rhythm.​

Too many live concerts.

Sorry, with a little work I think there might be a haiku there.

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've see the Army Band live at various shows in the DC area. They used to give open air concerts along the Potomac River, finishing the season with The 1812 Overture, complete with cannon fire.

I've seen Stephen Stills at Constitution Hall.
    I've seen Maynard Ferguson (big band trumpet player) a couple of times.
    I saw John Prine once (Went with a friend. Not my cup of tea.)
    I've seen a bunch of local bands at concerts & bars.