Living Alone In A New Town

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Rose Flowers, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Rose Flowers

Rose Flowers Well-Known Member
    Registered

When I had to go to the hospital for two weeks a couple months ago, I had trouble finding someone to care for my beloved dog of 13 years and had to give her away. I am now slowly recovering and am able to walk with the aid of a walker but not able to manage a cute fuzzy dog on neighborhood walks, and don't know what I would do with it if another hospital emergency came up. I feel I need a local human friend for mutual support before I take on any more responsibility.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh my ...I wonder if your little dog has adapted...this had to be heart breaking...we have one little 11 year old dog left here...I just pray we outlast her...she would never adapt to anyone else...so sad you are going thru all this...

Rose Flowers and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Rose Flowers

Rose Flowers Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks for understanding. One reason for wanting to cultivate a local friend for mutual support was to exchange pet care during emergencies. But unfortunately the emergency came before the friendship. Most seniors who are married or have family in town,or are long term residents of a town don't have the experience to share about successful methods of making new friends in a new town. So they just throw out urban myths - like senior centers are fountains of friendship and support for seniors which many are not. Some are just places where administrators who aren't even seniors can earn a salary.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

we moved to a small town in south central Illinois...from NC...6 years ago..we don't know people here and the senior center's for meals...
    people here tend to be a little clanish....

Rose Flowers and Beth Gallagher like this.