Living In A Van On Social Security

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Can you live on Social Security alone? This woman explains how she's doing it.

2. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I watched the video. The thing that bothers me most for this sweet lady is her lack of fresh food. She does mention some fresh produce but on a very limited basis.

I’m very interested to hear opinions here.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We seldom spend more than we get from SS. No car payments rent or mortgage. Should I die, my wife will struggle since benefits will be cut to her, but she is a very resourceful and frugal lady, so I believe she will get along okay.

4. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No, I don’t believe we could live on SS alone. It would be very difficult. I am very thankful that we saved, invested, and was frugal with our hard earned dollars that we worked for, when we were young, so we wouldn't have to live off of just social security.

Don Alaska and Vada Bloom like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm the same way (or will be back to that way when my Mazda is paid off), but that's because--like you--my house is paid for and my only expense there is maintenance and real estate taxes.

When I was with a non-profit that did home repairs for folks, we had a maximum qualifying income (I believe it was 50% of the Median Income for that county.) I've seen folks living off of $700/month. I assume they had other support (Medicaid, food stamps, etc), but that's really barely scraping by.

6. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

i 've watched her videos...she is luvin it....she's celebrity stars!
    She is happy!

Vada Bloom and Lambert Regenlöf like this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

If your SS is higher she can at least swap to yous, that helps some.

8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I can find fresh food almost anywhere although I have no city experience. But it is important that she stay healthy. So a bottle of GOOD vitamin/mineral would be a consideration. If she were to get sick or have a fall, that would be of major concern. But she mentioned a son. I know to be a burden would be a last resort for her that she wants to avoid.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
  9. Vada Bloom

Registered

I liked this woman too. I think I will follow the videos. The comments on YouTube seemed to lean to blaming the government because she is having a hard time. I would like to see everyone doing well but a lot goes into the back stories sometimes.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Here's something similar, although this seems a bit harsher. Also, she's living in a car with a dog.

Vada Bloom and Mary Stetler like this.
  11. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

if I become homeless..maybe I can learn to make utube videos living in....oh..what kind of contraption should I get

12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

The cost of camp sites here has gotten surprisingly expensive from back when I used them. One person I knew approached me to live on my farm. I turned her down because we would not have meshed. And squatting laws are weird.

13. Vada Bloom

Registered

A motorhome would be a lot nicer, even a small one would have a lot more space and convenience than a van. That was our plan and we did do quite a bit of regional traveling before we retired. But, by the time I could retire he was too ill for us to travel much.

I’ve heard that the prices have really gone up. Also, a lot of private campgrounds have a 10 yr. rule and will not accept any motorhomes or trailers over 10 years old. I think you were wise not to let anyone move onto your land, Mary.

One thing I wondered about was where she is parking the van. I’m going to try to watch another of her videos today. Yesterday was kind of crazy here with family in and out.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

For those who have not yet used the privilege, Walmart has a parking lot policy which allows truckers, RVs and yes vans and cars to use their lots for parking overnight or even for a couple of days.
    They allow restroom use without making purchases and as long as the parking area is kept clean, quiet and respectful and use the outer parking areas, they have no problem with people parking for a day or two

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

As an FYI and not to argue, my Walmart has signs that say "No Overnight Parking," or maybe it's "No Overnight Truck Parking." I happened to notice them a few weeks ago...I think they're new. It's near an interstate, so that might be the issue. Or perhaps it's the north/south trucking highway with few large facilities on it that make Walmart and Lowes an attraction.

There's a formal facility 1/2 mile up the road for overnight truck parking, and I see trucks along the side of the roads occasionally. I'm not sure why Walmart put up those signs. They are no longer open 24 hours a day, so there would be minimal customer inconvenience. And since it may specifically say "truck," cars & RVs could still be OK. I'm grocery shopping today...I'll try to remember to get a pic and post it.

Don Alaska, Bobby Cole and Vada Bloom like this.