Living In High Heat?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 3, 2023.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, as far as the Pagan/Wiccan thing, guess a person-persons can't find out everything about an area they are thinking of moving to. These groups were probably in Florida and Colorado when we lived in both, but we never thought about them. Here they advertise!

Then, yesterday, we checked out a boat ramp we seen a sign for, but the ramp has been closed for some time. The water level in the ramp area went way down and now doesn't connect to the lake.

Then, we stopped at the main boat ramp that is about 8 miles from the boat/trailer storage we are at (this lake is BIG!) and the water level is so low, we don't even know if we can safely launch our boat. People were putting their vehicle wheels all the way into the water on the ramp in order to launch their boat. We had never seen that before! Fortunately, my wife thinks we can keep the outdrive up, launch by the dock, tie up to the dock, lower the outdrive some and start the engine from there. Sure hope she is right. Years ago, when in Florida with the same boat we have now, I had the outdrive to low while coming up to the ramp to retrieve the boat, and tore the prop a little on the concrete ramp. Had to replace the prop.

We also have a battery, for our electric winch, installed on the front of our boat trailer. Can't have that go into the water much or the water will ruin it.

Have never had this "low water" problem anywhere we've boated. There are plenty of boats that go on Lake Mead, so it definitely can't be that low of water. However, we don't see any waterskiing or tubing done on the lake, like we've seen done on the Colorado lakes we've been on.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We were getting something at a local Staples on Saturday. An older lady behind us seen my Navy/Ship baseball cap and said "thanks for serving". I smiled at her and said "thanks you". I then told her that we've only been in Henderson a couple of months and are already planning on moving up north (Carson City/Reno area) next year. Of course, that's after a visit to both in the Spring. I told her "Way to many people and population/traffic is increasing daily. Also, too fast-paced. Didn't even mention the summer heat to her, as another problem. She looked at both of us and said "If I didn't have to work, I definitely wouldn't be in either Henderson or Las Vegas. I don't blame you at all for wanting to go up to Carson City or Reno."

I quickly told her the two main reasons we moved to Henderson from northern Colorado. IOW, to escape Colorado winters (which are worse than Carson City or Reno), the 10-day NFR in Vegas and Lake Mead for our boat. After experiencing some of the heat here, we are ready to go back into somewhat of winter again. And, a 10-day rodeo just isn't enough to keep us here, like we originally thought. My wife's sister doesn't want us to move, but "oh well".

Mary Stetler likes this.