Living The Plant-based Diet Lifestyle

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This year, I am attempting a plant-based diet yet again. I really think that this is what is the healthiest diet for us, and what God originally intended for people to eat.
    I read a great book by Dr. McDougall, called “The Starch Solution”, and he explains why we need starches in our diet, as well as why the SAD (standard American diet) that most people eat is very unhealthy for our bodies. Not that people who do not eat any animal products can’t be very unhealthy as well, so I do not consider myself a vegan, but just someone who wants to eat a plant-based diet.

I have been making my fresh almond milk in the Vitamix, and then straining it, but I have really been looking at those gadgets that will make the milk, like the Almond Cow machine. Most of them are upwards of $100-$500 dollars, so a lot of money for me to spend on something, even the cheapest ones.
    Instead, I bought a special strainer from Amazon, so I do not need to squeeze the almond milk out through a cloth like I have been doing, which is kind of messy.
    I am hoping that this works a lot easier. I do not use a lot of the nut milk, so I don’t have to make much of it, or very often, jut about a quart a week is plenty for me. I most likely use it in my morning coffee, and a little bit for making something where I need milk.

058BFAFD-3E99-4035-8D99-6A836554258E.jpeg

Susan Paynter likes this.
  2. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith
    I enjoyed reading this thread. It makes sense that as we age, if we want to live pain free, we will do what it takes.

Re Almond milk...I saw this recipe online. I normally use store bought almond milk . However, after reading your post, I am now tempted to make my own, since, i use it only for breakfast. Also, I was wondering if I used Rice Milk, will it increase my cholesterol.?

I will give it a try without the sweetener. I hv not used sugar or sweetener in my tea or coffee for ages.
    • 1 cup raw almonds
    • water to cover
    • 3 cups water
    • 1 tablespoon agave nectar, or more to taste
    • 1 pinch sea salt

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

No plant food has cholesterol, so you can make any kind of plant milk that you want without increasing that. If you do an online comparison, it will show you the difference in calories, fats, protein, and vitamins between the different types of plant milk, @Susan Paynter . I have added a link for comparison with almond milk, but you can get comparisons that show more types as well.

I soak the almonds overnight , starting with warm water, but not hot. The next day, I use the soak water for my plants, since there are nutrients that have soaked into the water.
    Then, I put the almonds and a quart of water in the blender and blend really well. I have not tried adding any sweetener or even the pinch of sea salt, although I have read that people do this for preservation purposes.
    The homemade plant milk has no chemical additives like the store bought milk, which has very few almonds, and lots of stuff added for flavor and thickness.

I also tried oat milk, but so far, I like the almond milk best. My next experiment is going to be cashew milk, because I have read good reports about that, and also almond/cashew mix.

https://www.mojofury.com/rice-milk-vs-almond-milk

John Brunner and Susan Paynter like this.
  4. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When growing up i understood that cashews were not very healthy. Looking back, during the festive season, we ate a lot of sweets made of different nuts especially cashews. But then, those sweets included a lot of butter too. That could be the real reason for my malady.
    However, I do know now that was not the case. Though I still have an aversion to cashews, I am quite happy with raw almonds.

5. Yvonne Smith

This morning I was watching a Dr. Joel Fuhrman video about anti-aging foods. He called them by the acronym of G-BOMBS, which stands for Greens, Beans, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries, and Seeds.
    He explains why each of these foods is important in our diet and the best way to use them, and also their anti-cancer and other health preserving attributes.
    This video is just a few minutes long, and if you are interested in having the healthiest body possible, and in holding back the aches and pains of aging, then it is very much worth the time to watch it.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

When I review what I eat each week I see that I eat lots of G-Bombs on a daily basis.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

This is another short video (he has LOTS of long ones, too !) where Dr. Fuhrman explains more about the G-BOMBS , why they are good for our health, and how they can help prevent serious illness like heart disease, cancer, and obesity, all of which are very rampant in America right now.
    Watch at the end where this man jumps right up on top of the table from a standing position, it is totally amazing !

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think healing body and mind is a good direction.
    Have you been able to avoid inflammation (and pain) by ongoing diet changes and supplements ? (it is totally possible, btw)

Some of the ailments etc might require someone more experienced and knowledgeable for the direction/ foods/ diet to take and what to avoid .
    Thankfully, drugs for pain can be avoided totally, or almost totally, as far as I know and as you apparently have found out too. An experienced tester can divulge more how and what is healthy and eliminates pain totally or as much as possible without toxins.

Also, how to rebuild some various aspects of the body is easily possible most of the time (instead of surgery/ replacements), if someone is breathing still, and eating food and drinking distilled water (and using a charcoal water filter for showers or baths) .

9. Yvonne Smith

I am checking out what appears to be an unexpected result of plant-based eating. I have noticed that my hair seems to be growing faster (and my fingernails !), and it looks like my hair might be getting thicker, but it is hard to tell.
    It might just look that way because of the growth.
    Anyway, it is about time for me to get another summer haircut, and the other night, I was trimming off a little on the very back of my neck, where there were scraggly ends growing out.

To my amazement, the hair was very dark, and not white/grey like the hair on the top of my head is.
    I have read about people’s hair losing the grey after they started eating a healthy diet, but it does not happen very often; so I am not going to say that mine is changing.
    I read that each hair grows for about 3 years and then “dies” and comes out, and a new hair grows in. So, even if a person was having a hair color reversal, it seems to me like it might take a long time to actually tell, unless the hair changes color as it grows.

I have been putting the flax and chia seeds in my oats every morning, and both of those are supposed to be healthy for the hair. I think that this has a lot to do with the fast growth rate, and getting thicker.

10. Yvonne Smith

So, I am almost back to a plant-based diet again. I think that I actually like eating this way, so it mostly suits me. I still have animal proteins like eggs, cheese, milk, and sometimes meat or fish; but the main part of the meal is coming from vegetables, or some other food from plants.
    After reading both Dr. Davis Wheat Belly, and Dr. Gundry Plant Paradox, there are just a lot of reasons not to eat animal foods, or to at least limit them to healthy-sourced ones. Those are expensive, so for me, just not having them often seems to be working better.

Anyway, I am making nut milk again; but the straining it takes such a long time, and it is not good in coffee unless it is strained. So, I have been looking at the nut milk machines, but even those have to have the milk strained afterwards, unless you get a really, really expensive one; so that one is off the list, too.

However….all is not lost !
    Upon further research, I discovered that you can make nut milks using a JUICER ! It separates the milk from the pulp, so you do not have to do all of that squeezing in a nut milk bag, or with a strainer, like I was doing before.
    So, off to the Amazon Warehouse (maybe my favorite shopping place ?) I went to look for sales on small juicers.
    I found one for around $16, (usually around $40) and it looks like it will work perfect for what I need it for.
    I only need to make small amounts at a time, because it is just for my coffee or chicory drinks, or tea; so I seldom use much at a time.
    It will be here next week, so I am looking forward to testing it out.

IMG_5585.jpeg

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Steve Solomon calls that diet "Vegetabetarianism" where over 80% of the diet is vegetables or plant-based. I don't know if he is still alive, but he was the founder of Territorial Seeds in Oregon and an advocate of a vegetable-based diet, but did not exclude animal protein in small amounts to round things out. Vegetables are much easier to enjoy when you include eggs or a bit of cheese.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

... and a nice ribeye. :D

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Don Roles

Don Roles Well-Known Member
    Registered

A life long vegetarian I dont think I could manage with out my eggs and cheese even with the variety of veggieburgers and other meatless protein now available in the stores, many of which I have tried and rejected. I do make my own nutburgers however which I prefer over most of the store bought vegieburgers, the off the shelf nutburgers that I have been using for decades have now been discontinued due to concerns from folks with nut allergy's much to my detriment!

Having been diagnosed with arthritis decades ago which whist painful at times has yet to be crippling I wonder at times if my diet has anything to do with my continued mobility, but with each of us having different reactions to different foods who knows.....!!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

What kind of milk do you use, @Don Roles ? As a vegetarian, you said you eat cheese , as do I . From what i have been reading, fermented dairy is not such a problem as just regular milk would be. However, there seem to be a lot of good reasons to avoid using milk and cream, even in coffee, so I am working on making my own plant based milk.
    I tried the A2 milk, but that is over $6 for 2 quarts, and a whole gallon of regular milk is around $3 here in Alabama.

Back when I was a kid, my mom used to read the Gaylord Hauser health books, and followed quite a bit of his advice. I used to have his Treasury of Secrets, but lost it somewhere along the line during a move.
    I just bought Hauser’s 1950 book, “Look Younger, Live Longer”, and am reading that.
    Hauser is not a vegetarian, but does recommend eating a lot of greens and veggies. He also enthusiastically promotes using powdered milk, mainly to add the extra protein and vitamins to foods (like yogurt).
    It is part of his 5 main foods, which also include brewers yeast, blackstrap molasses, yogurt, and wheat germ.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  15. Don Roles

Don Roles Well-Known Member
    Registered

I use regular store bought dairy milk Yvonne, it is however nothing like the milk I was raised on in GB where the family delivered milk door to door, as a kid it made my day when there was a pint of Jersey milk left over with its 2” of rich cream on top to go on my morning cereal …..

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.