Looking For A Church To Join... Again

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Chrissy Cross, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The Pentecostal slant in Christianity certainly isn’t known for its silver tongued pastors or tickling of the ears but yes, I do agree that those practicing some forms of Christianity can be abusive.

I’m nondenominational but I’ve experienced a pretty full cross-cut view throughout the denominations and there is one kind of abuse that a lot of folks do not even think about.
    There are certainly churches which over emphasize condemnation but there are also a lot of churches which do not speak of it at all. To me, that’s akin to teaching that there is no alternative to one’s eternal standing.
    No matter what you did, everything is forgiven, pick up your wings and halo at the gate kind of teaching.

There is a fine balance to be had if only people would look, study and teach.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  2. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I was lucky to be raised in a church that wasn't hell-and-brimstone.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't know about 'balance' per se.

Decades ago it was joyous, joyful, righteous, holy, happy , caring believers who worshiped Jesus openly, talked with Him daily and talked about Jesus with one another daily,
    that drew me to Him and towards God's Kindness / His Kingdom of Heaven, daily.

In the Bible, I saw both the rewards and the judgments, depending on what a person did. I choose and chose the rewards, if God Permits/Permitted.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I’m sure I asked you before but I didn’t see an answer. If I may inquire, when did you camp out in Seattle?

5. Jeff Elohim

Registered

'searching memory'..... too long ago to remember.... I was over 18 and under 28 years old.
    Not during mount st. helens argument though. I would have remembered the dust I think.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Okay. I was just thinking that perchance you might be one of the guys that I had in the New Creations program at the mission.
    A lot of whom I call, miracle guys, who joined the program had come from the camps, streets and from under the bridges.

When a majority of the guys graduated from the program, they had found a church they liked, had jobs, had an idea of what they wanted their futures to look like and a bit of direction on how to achieve it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  7. Jeff Elohim

Registered

I was quite happy, content, even joyful daily, underr the bridge or in a shelter, in any circumstance, not looking for recovery or a church at the time...
    work was available sufficient to buy food, clothes, etc, day to day....
    and I was in the Seattle are to visit a friend at first, then for a while, bicycling around as able, built up endurance in a couple weeks to go up and down the hills without getting out of breath even... so it was for a season, rejoicing in the Master Jesus' Life as He Provided all needs without worry or concern.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I did that for a time, too, but I called it panhandling.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Jeff Elohim

Registered

I never panhandled, unless there's another definition for it.

I worked for 'regular' companies, sometimes for a pastor or church or ministry in other states, not in Seattle.
    In Seattle, mostly with the union dock workers, when they hired extras. $125 per day or so....

Bobby Cole likes this.