Low Carb: What Are We Eating?

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Steve North, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Tetley and I take it plain, no sugar or milk..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Steve North

Registered

Last night I made a meatloaf using minced turkey.. It was sooo good that we both pigged out, however I still have leftovers for a lovely sandwich tomorrow lunch..
    What goes better with meatloaf than mashed potatoes..
    I made some peanut-butter cookies with no flour.. Again we pigged out..
    Believe me that the pot of tea was very welcomed after that meal......
    We use Tetley round tea bags.... 2 bags in a large teapot..

Mary Stetler likes this.
  3. Steve North

Registered

We were out shopping yesterday and I felt too tired to go home and cook supper, so we ended up at A&W where I had a Teen-burger.. Boy is that burger ever filling.. I also had a coffee and was pleasantly surprised at how flavourful their coffee was..

Mary Stetler likes this.
  4. Steve North

Registered

Chicken breast cut in half and I pounded them to be even thinner..
    I breaded them and then fried them in EVOO.. Served with a cherry sauce..
    Steamed string beans served with sour cream..
    Steamed carrots smashed and mixed with peas..
    Clementine for dessert..
    Pot of tea...........

5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Nuts, fish, chicken little red meat. Unless I want to work out then I can enjoy one slice bread, or piece of cake. Nor very appetizing but it worked or 15 years without any meds. I do eat ice cream .topped with pure in Cocoa powder now and then that doesn't raise BG too much. Some fruits and veggies.

6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I just got some Einkorn wheat. It is an ancient grain that lists 36 carbs per serving. I wondered if the digestable carbs are really that high because the seeds are very small which means a LOT more fiber.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Marie, have you tried any of the low-carb breads or ice cream? I know there is a very good low-carb tortilla that's better than nothing. :D

I recently tried to be low carb for 2 days and it made me crazy(er). I made some of those cloud "bread" things that are nothing more than beaten eggs baked on parchment paper. So gross and yuck.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Beth I'm getting use to crazy it's been so long now. That stuff is expensive and doesn't taste that good. I'd rather eat the good stuff and work out. I know it is going to be costly when I imbibe.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Also did you know that when I drink red wine my BG goes down a lot? Only a couple wine glasses dose it. But then again expensive. Plus I don't feel like drinking most of the time.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Interesting. This is why it's important to "eat to your meter." Seems like each individual's body reacts in its own way. I have a Type 2 friend who can't even eat fruit without a sugar spike. My brother-in-law is diabetic and eats pretty much normally, but he spends a lot of time on the treadmill every day.

11. Marie Mallery

Registered

I have hand weights and walk around house with them when I can't go outside. My bar only has two weights on it since we gave Jakes weight bench and weights to one of our grandkids.
    If I work out hard I can eat whatever but then who wants to do that just because they want a piece of cake. I do walk everyday 90% outside. Who knows how long I'll be able to do so.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I hear you, and I know it's hard.

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Beth as we age it gets harder and who knows what the heck is next.

14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I lost 30 lbs on low carb easily and I thought I could not survive without potatoes and pasta. Like you said, I tried making low carb bagels and they actually WERE just cheese and eggs. At walmart, I saw some Keto friendly bread, which claimed a BIG zero carbs and sugar on the front of the wrapper. But upon reading the label info they had 9 g per slice. Must read all labels because the food industry lies. On the diet you can only have 50g a day. You need to choose carefully but things can be done. I make my own chocolate treats with stevia or other sweeteners.
    Youtube's Dr Berg explains how to do the diet so it can be tolerable. But I guess it is mind over matter.
    Interesting about wine and Marie's bg. My hands shake quite a bit. If I had a glass of wine, they'd stop.o_O Reverse dt's? I don't drink alcohol any more. I had plenty in my youth. I'm surprised I even have a liver.

15. Marie Mallery

Registered

I had my fair share too when I was young, but we're not young anymore. So we don't over do it ,after a couple glasses I really don't want anymore, I'm pretty tipsy and it feels good, never a hangover. I wish I had a taste for it more often since it really makes a big difference in my BG.
    I also drink plenty of water before and after I drink. But I don't like to drink on empty stomach, and I don't eat much. I drink Boost so I don't get as much protein as Ensure. I don't think too much protien is good for our kidneys.