Low Carb: What Are We Eating?

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Steve North, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, that sounds pretty good ;) I had left-over Chic thighs I cook in my Convectional Oven, although cleaning it was a heavy duty to pull today! If I let it go too long, it's hard to clean, but easier than my big oven ;) I also had dessert with my Almond Cinnamon bread (sort of my replacement for short-cake) with Cream cheese and blueberries on top. I'm glad you have someone to share your good cooking with @Yvonne Smith.

I am thinking of asking a neighbor to dinner, as he's offered me a ride in his new Electric Car. I'm sort of drawn to it because I like gadgets, and it is one BIG gadget, LOL!!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Low carb is great.. I lost several pounds on low carb as you can see.. Started at 358 pounds and went down to my weight today of 175... Yes I had an operation about 2 years ago that I lost some weight, but low carb is my life savior..
    Today all I want is to maintain my present weight.. At my age, gaining weight isn't a good thing..
    When I started low carb, I followed the Dr. Atkins low carb way.. That was 20 carbs a day in the beginning and slowly working up to a maintenance level.. It worked just fabulously..
    Now that I have reached my goal, I can have some carbs and it doesn't affect me at all.. I just have to remember how big I was and not go overboard on carbs.. NO WAY do I want to be big again..

Denise.. You seem to have the idea of low carb and you are eating very well.. Wonderful and keep it up..

LOW CARB..............................
    .......WORKS IF YOU WORK IT.................
    .......SO WORK IT YOUR WORTH IT..........

3. Denise Evans

Registered

Yes, and by no virtue of my own, as T2 Diabetes hit me, scared me straight, so to speak and as luck would have it, I found the Ketogenic diet. I have had so many benefits and losing 30 pounds of extra stored fat was a bonus. My health has improved so much, and I'll just make a list, easier to read:

reversed, or T2 in remission
    no more headaches
    no more ravenous hunger between meals
    tremor is about a 5 compared to a 7 on the richter scale :p
    no more arthritic pain
    tinnitus was 24/7 and from a 10 to zero often
    sleep is usually 8 hours
    no acid reflux
    no esophogeal spasms
    no shortness of breath
    zero afib
    post nasal drip/allergies down to about a 2 (from at least an 8)
    much lower anxiety, zero depression
    no leg or foot cramps
    no neuropothy

There's probably more, so yes, I do Ketogenics (to build ketones which are part of everyone's body), turned my body from a sugar/carb burning machine into a fat burning machine (for my main energy source). It does take commitment and to get to where I am now, it took 2.6 years so it's not a quickie diet, nor the fountain of youth but it certainly has improved my quality of life ;)

4. Steve North

Registered

Low carb isn't a diet...
    Its a way of life and a way of eating..
    Most diets don't work while food plans like low carb work..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I to lost allot of weight on low carb , 12~ 13 years ago ……and increasing my exercise however with Covid and breaking my leg 2 years ago …….I’ve gained back some of the weight , so it’s a plan to go back to low carb ,however I like my nice hot rolled oats we call porridge each morning in winter which is allot I make us a mix of 2 cups liquid 1/2 milk 1/2 water to 3/4 cup whole oats ( i cook it can’t handle the overnight oats where you soak the oats over night a eat it cold ….blah :eek:

I’ve gained 8 kg in 3 years of the 26 kg I lost …….nah feeling uncomfortable it’s gotta go
    Any advice @Steve North

Denise Evans likes this.
  6. Steve North

Registered

Absolutely...
    First, you have to want to lose the weight and are willing to on low carb to do it..
    Being on low carb doesn't mean you will be deprived of food, bu ton the contrary, you will have lots to eat..
    Carbs are not your friend at this time.. Yes, porridge in the morning is a great thing, but if you can just forget it for a while, you will see a difference in the start.. I recommend you eliminate 5 foods from your food plan and start the low carb process.. Now, be 100% honest and you will lose weight.. Absolutely NO cheating at all !!!!
    The 5 foods are:..............................................
    1.. Flour of any kind.. Anything made with or that contains any kind of flour is OUT
    2.. Sugar of any kind.. Anything that contains any kind of sugar is OUT.. Use a sweetener instead..
    3.. Rice of any kind.. Nothing that has rice in it or made with rice
    4.. Corn.. Anything that contains any form of corn is OUT
    5.. Potatoes.. Any form of potatoes is OUT

Eat lots of meat, fish, cheese, eggs, and lots of veggies and fruit.. Lots of protein..
    You will definitely not starve as there is a whole world out there to eat besides the eliminated 5...
    You will lose weight by following this simple way of eating.. It is also very healthy..
    Don't go for the low fat or lite products..

Kate Ellery likes this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

Yo Yo diets are the ones where people choose the "fast easy way" to lose weight. There is no such thing as a fast easy way to lose unwanted fat. I figure how long it took to get me over-fat, it's going to take awhile, luckily a shorter time if you are able to do it right, to lose the inches. I've also learned that picking a plan that I would not be willing to eat that way for the rest of my life, is exactly what causes losing, then gaining the weight back again, not sustainable.

I enjoy my foods, and am a better cook now than I ever was. I bake too, and don't enjoy restaurants because I want to know everything I am putting into my body. No one can know for sure but we can make better, educated choices of foods. I rarely go down an aisle in a grocery store because the whole-foods are all against the walls of a grocery store. Processed, sugars, high carbs are in the interior aisles.

I'm not in perfect health, but I'm so much better mentally, emotionally, and physically now, I'm willing and able to do a lot of things I just didn't want to, or feel like.

I just want to add for others that don't follow Ketogenic info, that be aware of the labels on "so-called" Keto friendly products. The one's I've looked at have higher carbs than what I eat, and I am a diabetic T2 and take no meds. I control it purely from my nutrition. But if you just want to be healthier, be sure to read labels as they can put "keto friendly" on anything :rolleyes:

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Steve North

Registered

Supper was turkey sausages on the BBQ...
    Steamed carrots and some peas as well..
    Half a peach with vanilla ice-cream in it..
    Pot of tea..............

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They do the same thing with foods that they label “heart-healthy” , @Denise Evans , and in reality, they are junk foods with loads of sugar/flour, but they are Low-fat, so it is labeled as being good for your heart.

Over the years, I have tried just about every eating plan that has come along, all the way from carnivore at one end , to low-fat vegan at the other end.
    I did lose weight, but gained it all back again; so I am now back to the original low carb way of eating, plus doing intermittent fasting for the autophagy benefits.
    I have started adding the coconut oil into my morning coffee, and made my salad dressing with coconut oil instead of olive oil this time. Coconut oil has the medium chain triglycerides (MCT’s) which produce ketones and feed our brain the best way possible
    Dr. Bruce Fife’s book about the benefits of coconut oil are very helpful in learning about the healing that coconuts can do in our body and mind and mental health. (No depression ! )

Denise Evans likes this.
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

I best have some coconut oil as for the last 3 days I've had a cloud of depression threatening me, thank you for the info. I can add it to morning coffee, and like my cacao fat-bombs for extra fat I may need. Always use coconut oil rather than butter in that recipe :) not that I am afraid of butter, I just like coconut better in them.

I couldn't go completely carnivore either, I had to pick something I can do for the rest of my life as far as healthy nutrition so, so far so good with keto. My body is adjusting now into having less carbs but everything going fine so won't change that up for now. I focus on Trigs numbers divided by HDL and as long as those are within the guidlines I figure I'm good to go.

Have you ever tested your ketones? I haven't but it's pretty evident I am fat-burning for my main fuel source now as otherwise, I'd probably be in bed from still using carbs. I couldn't do that and control my T2 though so going back for me. It's ok, as I've adjusted fine to my nutrition and most surprised at the variety of foods I can eat ;)

The main fasting for me is 6 pm after dinner, til 10 or 11 a.m. but still doing fine just with that. About 3 hours between my 3 meals a day unless I grab a snack, only because I just want one (if I'm bored, not keeping busy enough). If I'm busy I can easily get in 5-6 hours of fasting and never get hungry. It takes a lot of time, I've been on this for 2.6 years but best health-wise, years of my life.

Yes, the food industry (processing industry, and sugar) are doing their best to combat their losses in profits. Do you see many commercials?? They sure aren't pushing low-carb, yet ;) Once in a great while, and then it's only to sell a product that is what I'd call fake-low carb if you read the labels. Trouble is, people buy into it thinking they are truly going to move right into the benefits of Keto, oh well, what can you do except sharing your own experience with as many that will listen.

11. Steve North

Registered

Supper last night was something different for me..
    I cubed 6 B/S chicken thighs and added a jar of (VH) chicken sauce that I found t the grocery store.. I'm not sure what it is called, but it had a tomato base with garlic and herbs.. I marinated it in a pot for about one hour and then cooked it on med. heat till cooked.. I served it over a bed of mashed potatoes with butter.. it was simply delicious but we found it a bit rich.. I also had some peas as well..
    Dessert was very simple.. S/F jello served with heavy cream..
    Pot of tea after all that was appreciated..

I won't make that again as we found it a bit too rich and quite spicy... Oh well, I tried something....

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Steve North

Registered

burgers on the BBQ.. I make my own burgers using minced chicken or minced turkey, freeze them and put them on the BBQ frozen.. Last night was turkey burgers and they were delicious.. I make them about 125g each which is a good size.. No filler, just herbs and spices..... I serve them without a bun, just plain..
    Steamed broccoli with a buttery garlic sauce over it.. Sliced fresh mushrooms with a dressing over them.. baby red potato steamed and butter and parsley flakes over them..
    Half of a stewed peach with vanilla ice-cream in it..
    Pot of tea................

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We had some packages of chicken in the freezer, and needed to use them up, so I cooked chicken, steamed broccoli with cheese sauce, and fresh sliced tomato from the farmers market.
    It was a good meal, a healthy meal, and we are both full and satisfied.

14. Steve North

Registered

Chicken breasts cooked on the stove in a honey/garlic sauce..
    Couscous, steamed carrots and potatoes mashed with butter..
    Half a stewed peach with vanilla ice-cream in it..
    Pot of tea............

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Steve North

Registered

Well, it was Father's Day and instead of cooking supper, I ordered a pizza..
    Talk about a lazy way out !!!!!! We enjoyed the pizza which was a large vegetarian thin crust...
    Today will most likely be a fish night.................... maybe !!!!!

Yvonne Smith likes this.