Madden, Reid. Both Died

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Bobby Cole, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

John Madden, coach and sports commentator died of undisclosed causes at the age of 85.
    Harry Reid, career politician, Democrat leader and long time senator died of pancreatic cancer at 82.

It’s a strange thing. Listening to the radio this morning, all I hear about is the career of John Madden and zip about Reid. Tells me which one was loved and which one not so much.

I met John Madden and OJ Simpson during a pro bowl in New Orleans at the Monteleone Hotel where I was serving as the Maitre D Hotel.
    OJ came in the Duck’s Unlimited dining room and sat at the service bar and had cocktails until that area closed to the public. Great conversation and tipped way beyond what he should have.
    On the other hand, John Madden came in about the same time and demanded a private dining room for himself and no one else so he got what he wanted; a room that normally sat around 50 and he as the lone guest. As I recall, he had the Chicken Clemenceau and stiffed the waiter.

Never met Harry Reid. Never wanted to.

May they both rest in peace.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

That doesn't sound like the John Madden that was the subject of a documentary on Fox

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yeah, I know. I don’t mean to lay down some bad paper on the guy but the one time I had anything to do with him he was a pain in the tail.

So far as his ability to coach and comment on sports, he was magnificent and I loved to listen to him but the one single social interaction I had with him was lousy.

Bad day at the ranch maybe. I thought he and OJ got along fine but maybe not. Beyond a wave between the two, that was it.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't know much about either of them, frankly. But I have stayed at the Monteleone. :D

5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

At the time that I mentioned, the Monteleone was hosting the ProBowl. Not to go too far off topic but one time when I had to go to the pool bar, the elevator only had 4 players and myself in it and it was packed. I’m a fairly big guy but my size was dwarfed in comparison.

Hmmmm…..still haven’t heard anything about Reid. Ya know, the Dem leader who got beat up by his treadmill in his home bathroom?

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"In light of John Madden’s death earlier, amazing how much history of pro football were spoken by the voices of these two men. RIP Pat Summerall and John Madden, together again".

John Madden Eulogy

Bobby Cole likes this.