Makin' Biscuits

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Beth Gallagher, Apr 4, 2022.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeh, I believe I was unimpressed, but it's been decades since I've made one of those. Reminds me of the "Dump Cakes."

If you search "Bisquick Impossible Pie" you might get ideas for other recipes that might be better...there are tons of them out there, and it sounds like you got some ingredient left. ;)

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

There are several types of the pies on that Betty Crocker website; one with chicken and broccoli sounds interesting. I was looking for something quick and easy to make and this certainly was; it tasted OK but wasn't remarkable by any stretch. My husband liked it. :D

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thomas, I've never heard of the corn pan gravy; sounds interesting. I like tomato gravy, especially served over fresh hot biscuits.

Faye Fox and Thomas Stillhere like this.
  4. John Brunner

Chicken & broccoli sounds interesting. I used to make Chicken Divan pretty often. I wonder how substituting Cream of Chicken Soup and a shot of lemon juice for the milk & eggs might work (to give it more flavor).

Man, now I want some Chicken Divan. dammit.

5. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The only thing I remember about the corn gravy was it could not be sweet corn since it was a gravy and describing the taste is hard to do but it was so good. The corn wasn't browned just lightly fried in a iron skillet with a little grease and the rest was normal gravy making over the corn. Those older folks also used bacon grease and added coffee to make a browned gravy that was for the biscuits. We always had two cans for the used lard on top of the stove, one was for fish only. She got lots of mileage from the lard. I was thinking about the old house in Oklahoma City the other day, it had those very extra tall ceilings you see in those old homes built in the late 1800s and it was to make the house cooler in summer and warmer in the winter. We had one small space heater in a huge two story built in the late 1800s. At the time it was a beautiful house even in 1960, today it is looking pretty bad due to the foundation not being attended to over the years,. a lot of lumber and probably very heavy. The house in 1960 still looked fresh for it's already old age. There was a half basement under the back porch and of course it was called a root cellar. You walked into the front and you were in the entrance way for the walnut stairway, half floor up was a set of large boxed out windows at the turn of the stairway. My Grandfather had a very old Zenith Radio built similar to a juke box. It had tons of push buttons on the front and a large round tuning dial. It was one of the fist stereo radios and was loud as a Juke Box. I would slide my rocking chair into the room and crank up that old radio and my Grandmother would slap me up beside my head with the broom heh

Attached Files:

• 659.jpg
      659.jpg
      File size:
      116.9 KB
      Views:
    • 660.jpg
      660.jpg
      File size:
      89.8 KB
      Views:
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I have some leftover rotisserie chicken in the freezer and a head of broccoli in the fridge. I might have to give it a go. :D

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Oh, so the corn wasn't actually cooked in gravy, but was fried and then topped with gravy? My mother made fried corn, and I know all about those cans of lard and bacon grease. The gravy made with coffee is called "red eye" and is usually made after pan frying ham; that is particularly good with biscuits.

I just remembered that my grandfather absolutely loved sour cream and he'd always put that on his hot biscuit.

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

All this talk is making me hungry for biscuits and white country gravy with a fried egg on top and the entire shebang topped with lots of ketchup.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

We need to conduct a study on people who drown everything in ketchup. I don't even like it on my burgers or hot dogs. I once knew a little boy who liked ketchup on his corn. What is wrong with you people?

Back on topic: Sea Biscuit was better than Secretariat.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    Thomas Stillhere and Faye Fox like this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, I could tell you alright, but then I would have to block you and Ken would probably ban you. It is a spicy subject!

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Did you ever try spaghetti sauce on biscuits? . [​IMG]

If you get a chance, don't. . I just did. :p

Your mileage may vary. ;)

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

This is why Italians settle north of the Mason-Dixon line. Seriously.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, I tried the 2-ingredient biscuits again, but this time with 3 ingredients. I added a heaping tablespoon of Crisco to the flour before I stirred in the heavy cream. These had a better flavor but were too crumbly.

Nancy Hart and John Brunner like this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I liked this biscuit mix for a while. You're supposed to add buttermilk, so I wouldn't call it "complete." You can see chunks of white grease, like Crisco, in the mix. They come out too fluffy and crumbly. I got tired of trying to hold them together.

upload_2022-4-15_17-44-13.png

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hmmm, crumbly biscuit problem. Every recipe I read says something like, "don't overwork the dough; your biscuits will be tough." I guess in all my years I don't recall a "tough" biscuit. :p I suppose the point I'm trying to make is maybe I DO want to overwork my dough; at least the biscuits might hold together as a vehicle for butter.

Nancy Hart likes this.