Makin' Biscuits

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Beth Gallagher, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I just made some corncakes this week. Mine were fine but then I've been making them for years, good for when I don't want to heat up the house for cornbread or in a hurry. Some things just don't go good without cornbread or 'substitute'.
    PS thanks for the 'the' correction you put up, been catching myself with it more often now.

Jake Smith likes this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Nancy I don't like pre mixe's ,have used them but not if I can help it, did like Jiffy corn bread mix now and then for fun.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Since I had some heavy cream that I needed to use, I have made the 2-ingredient biscuits a few more times lately. I made them today and either I'm getting better at it or I got used to 'em. I use more of a 1-to-1 ratio of cream and AP flour, then put the cut biscuits onto a HEAVILY greased baking pan with sides touching. (Sides touching = higher rise) With butter and honey they get the job done. :D

4. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I’ve made cake mix biscuits if I’ve had unexpected visitors ..super quick to mix up ..cook

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I think what you call a biscuit is a cookie in the USA? These are American biscuits...

upload_2022-7-18_16-50-9.png

6. Kate Ellery

Registered

They look like scones …that we add jam and cream to ……:):)no biscuits are prob known as cookies to you @Beth Gallagher

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Add some real butter and honey and call them cookies or add gravy and call them biscuits. Makes no difference to me. :D Nothing like fresh out of the oven homemade biscuits! :)

8. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I use cold butter and buttermilk to make biscuits. I keep a stick of unsalted butter in the freezer and shred it into my flour mixture. I was active member on a couple of food forums years ago, and that is what some of the cooks said what it takes to make tasty flakey biscuits....very cold butter and buttermilk. They are not bad. I usually butter the tops of the biscuits with melted butter the last 5 minutes baking as well. But I have also made them with heavy cream and real lard. Lard has gotten a bad rap. I use to get lard from a pig farmer.

Jake Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Nope - our biscuits are not scones.

10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The last time I attempted to make biscuits, Zek (MHRIP) accused me of staging a reenactment of Civil War cooking when biscuits were known as hard tack. After banging his biscuit on my granite countertop without any noticeable crumbling he says, "Fluffy ain't they?" :oops: The impatient old fart didn't wait for the gravy. Men!!! :mad:

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Actually, they are very close to scones, especially the plain scones.

Jake Smith and Kate Ellery like this.
  12. Kate Ellery

Registered

If anyone wants to try cake mix biscuits ( cookies) mix a pack of cake mix with 1egg and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil ….mix well …..roll into balls flatten SLIGHTLY with a fork and cook 10 ~ 15 min mod oven
    Orange poppy seed cake mix is partially nice …( but it’s a larger pack and needs 2 eggs )
    chocolate is a bit bland …you can add chocolate chips or nuts to a plain cake mix “biscuits”

Of course this is detections for our size cake mix packs depending on the size other countries stock
    an xtra egg may be required for larger packs.

Most cake mixes are about 400 grams
    804470FF-C657-495E-B4C4-F2E278343975.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  13. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Not in my world. I'd never put gravy on a scone.

I owned/operated a little gourmet coffee shop for a couple of years, and sold a lot of scones. And the bathroom scales also demonstrates that I ate more than my fair share of them.... Cinnamon was my favorite, but blueberry was the best seller. I don't remember what other flavors we sold.

John Brunner and Marie Mallery like this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, there are flavored scones and there are plain, biscuit-like scones. https://eatlittlebird.com/scones-with-strawberry-jam/

Marie Mallery and Jake Smith like this.
  15. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I love homemade biscuits and butter and think buttermilk works great in the mix, a teaspoon of Crisco grease then mead in sifted flour, roll out cut and cook 10 minutes, pull out butter top and put back in and cook 7 more minutes till lightly golden brown. :)