Mammograms At... Walmart?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Beth Gallagher, Feb 24, 2024.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The folks who have done my CT scans are nurses & physicians assistants who manage the mechanics of the equipment/patient but who are not diagnosticians. I'd imagine both they and the radiologists are employed by a 3rd party who merely has a kiosk set up on the WM premises.

Given the way many of these professionals were treated during COVID, I can see them seeking a different work environment. There may be a slug of them immediately available because they quit their hospital jobs rather than get vaxxed.

2. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

So true. I haven't thought about that. I know in my area there were many nurses that left hospitals seeking employment else where because Admin told them to get vaxxed or get fired.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

oh great. ..not a person behind the pressure of the ...machine...but now...just the machine squeezing the body part to unmentionable pain..no way

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

You can buy an A1C self test off-the-shelf or from Amazon.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Teresa--there are technicians operating the machine; it is not a self-serve thing. :D

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My best friend's daughter is an RN and worked for a huge hospital in Atlanta making an exceptional salary. She refused the vaccine and left that job to work as a nurse at the local JAIL. She loves the new job though her salary was significantly less. I found it odd that the hospital corporation required the vax but the government job did not.

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

At MD Anderson, all scans are done by certified Radiology Technicians. There are no physicians, nurses, nor PAs running the actual equipment.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  8. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

oh..okay...excuse me

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It is usually certified imaging techs who do the mammogram, not nurses or PAs, who generally don't know one end of the machine from another unless they were a tech before becoming something else. That was one of thee chuckles I always got out of House. Generally even with a microscope, most doctors don't know what they are looking at...except oncologists/hematologist, who generally DO know what they are seeing. No doctor I have ever known could operate an MRI or CT scanner. They often can do ultrasounds, though, if that is part of their specialty like some OBs. They don't do it though, as it is considered beneath them.

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Have no intention of doing this at Walmart. To me that as bad as Amazon trying be a pharmacy. Greed is so ugly.

John Nopales and John Brunner like this.
  11. John Brunner

I'm on the fence. Competition (even driven by greed) generally makes things cheaper and better. Putting medical services at Walmart not only brings them to folks who may not see doctors regularly, but for the rest of us it's a lot more convenient than driving to a medical clinic and then waiting for an hour to see the doctor. And Amazon's entering the pharmaceutical market will possibly drive down prices elsewhere. I bet they draw a lot of folks who don't have insurance.

But as you said, Walmart is a weird environment to get something like that done.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

At first read this doesn't sound very appealing, but I definitely would use a Walmart facility if I had no other options. They must have qualified staff and apparently they are using tomo (3D) technology. Tomosynthesis produces a more detailed image than a standard mammogram. It's better at detecting cancer and reduces false-positive results in dense breast tissue.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

I bet there's a bunch of women who will do it because it's at Walmart. It might never even
    occur to them to have this done in the first place. Being in a familiar, low stress (and convenient) environment may provide a comfort factor.

There ain't nothing wrong with providing an option, huh?

14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

How about colonoscopies and prostate exams????

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

THAT will fix you for complaining about the produce they pick for your order!!!

Don Alaska likes this.