Many Seniors Are Becoming Nomads To Survive

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Marie Mallery, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm sure it would get to me too after a while. I do like the woods but miss society, of course society sure isn't what it used to be.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

You said it, sister.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm wondering if the basis for this story is not unlike the "old people are so poor they can only afford cat food" crap that was going around along time ago. Once someone actually looked at the price of cat food relative to the many other options in the grocery store, that lie was put to rest.

I have no idea how inflation can cause you to not be able to afford your own home, unless it drove up the price of food so you could not afford your mortgage...but that's a real stretch. If you're retired, you're no longer feeding a family. Perhaps they were renting. I dunno.

4. Marie Mallery

Registered

I hear it is about to get bad, but then we are always hearing this.:confused: I don't either

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Our taxes and homeowner's insurance have really gone up this year. I can see how someone on a fixed income could be devastated by the increases, especially considering the increases in the cost of food and other necessities.

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

You got that right! Ours too. I know they are trying to hurt us any way they can. I feel so bad for the youth in this nation.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We're in the raising-the-debt-ceiling season so we'll be hearing about how we won't be getting our Social Security payments, and how Medicare is going to be cut, and the usual BS.

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

I would say head for the hills, but they seem pretty scary too. Can't go out in the water, too many coming in will cause collision's or worse. Florida illegal Haitians, Cubans now need shelter, food and medical care filling up the Keys, it has been going on now for s while.I bet they will get all the money they need.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

It would be wiser to help the people in their own nations and for half of what they cost us here, but the leaders don't care about any people just their pocketbooks and agendas.

Faye Fox likes this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I would love to be a nomad but my health and finances won't allow for such. :(

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

That is how I am , too ! After having been a vagabond most of my life, I am tired of being stuck here and never getting to travel anymore; but there are no other options.
    While I would like to have a home to return back to, I would dearly love to be able to take an extended trip around America by train, and go on at least a short cruise, just to experience it.

I do not think that I want to live in an RV anymore, but I would love to be able to travel. The best times of my life have been the trips that my daughter, Robin , took me along with her, especially the trip to Hawaii.
    Now, she is in the Netherlands, and not traveling much anymore, and I do not think I would want to travel alone , either.

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

There was a group of people on IRV2 site that use to have meet ups at different places arounfr America.
    I find just a trip to the beach every few months helps me feel better. Before Covid we'd got to visit the kids in Ga. Son lives in Texas, we don't go that far in these old vehicles. But if my van breaks down at the beach it's close enough '120miles' to be pulled back in.
    Covid really put the brakes on us far as visits and public places, but the beach is wide open.

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A nice little house boat that you could rent a mooring . There was once a nice little place on the Trinity river. I don't think there are any on Lake Livingston due to some really bad weather events, it's like being out for off shore and extreme high waves. Now here where I live there is the False River about 14 miles long and there might be some places, I know one of the canals leading from the River has a camper lot for motor and trailer homes right up to the water, you can go up the little canal and into the 14 mile river. It is an underground fed lake and was once a part of the Mississippi river until an earth quake changed the route of the Mighty M. There is a high levee a couple miles from the lake to prevent flooding from the Mississippi into the Lake area. I worked about three miles from that levee and often would drive to the levee and have a nice hot breakfast before work at a little farmers type cafe. Really good food and all the local farmers would be there every morning. I miss working and eating good home cooked meals.

Bobby Cole and Marie Mallery like this.
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Ditto! Luckily when I was able I covered most of the back roads in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Montana and bought small antiques, pottery, glassware, small kitchen appliances, and radios along the way so I know the lay of the land all around me. I spend an entire month doing that about 25 years ago. In fact that Hull pitcher in My Odds and Ends thread came from a small store off 95 south of Sandpoint. The owner was carrying a 45 semiauto and asked what part of Oregon we were from. He was pleased when I said the patriotic part out east. He allowed us to look around. :)

15. Marie Mallery

Registered

Faye, what part of the country do you live in
    now?