Matcha Green Tea

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Steven Stanick

Steven Stanick Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Red tea is the bet tasting of all teas without adding any sweetners

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I tried some Matcha Green Tea that they had at my wife's recovery center and thought it was gross. If I had to choose between Matcha Green Tea and a beer, I'd take the beer even though I don't drink alcoholic beverages. Fortunately, there are other options.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

It might be how it was prepared, @Ken Anderson. I make mine like a chai tea latte, but with the green matcha powder (and some powdered mint) added into it, and sweetened. It tases good to me, and I think I would like it either cold or hot.
    However, you might not like it. Bobby drinks all of his coffee black, and also his tea plain; so I think he would not like the matcha tea either.

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My daughter does macha tea, roasted. It tastes like the tea in Japanese restaurants. I especially like Egyptian Licorice tea. It is naturally sweet and I mix it with dandelion root, burdock root and chocolate mint we grow. It is quite good for us and yummy.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

If anyone's interested I saw this article in one of my local fliers about Matcha tea. I rarely drink tea, I enjoy my cup of coffee in the morning, for me it doesn't matter the brand, I usually buy whatever medium toast is on sale.

20230527_120002.jpg

Yvonne Smith and John Houlihan like this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Thanks for that, @Tony Page.

This line was interesting: "Matcha contains higher levels of anti-oxidants, amino acids, and caffeine compared to green tea, as the entire leaf is consumed."

Having no idea how tea in general is processed, I then found this: "Tea sorting is the final stage in tea processing. The process is vital especially in removing physical impurities such as seeds and stems."

So I guess when you drink Macha, you get the more tender green stems & seeds. Of all the green and black Chinese & English teas I've had (at last count nearly 20), I've never tried Macha.

Tony Page likes this.
  7. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I drink Lipton green tea Matcha on occasion with a slice of lemon and a tad of honey. It tastes good, but there probably isn't a speck of Matcha in those tea bags.:rolleyes::D