Maytag Repairman

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Ed Wilson, Nov 6, 2023.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

My Maytag clothes washer is over 30 years old. I know its age because there are two stickers on it from a Len Hosey Appliance Service. The oldest was dated 1993.

The washer came with the house and has had no problems for the 15 years I’ve been here, but recently I found water on the floor. I thought about calling Len Hosey and Googled his name. I could not find his appliance service but I did find his obituary. Apparently it’s true about Maytags. They will outlive the Maytag repairman, so I decided to fix it myself if possible.

It turned out there were actually two leaks. The first was from the discharge hose in back where water drained out. I ordered a replacement from Grainger. It was an easy fix being outside the washer and accessible.

The second was inside somewhere. I found a youtube video about replacing the injector hose assembly, a common cause of a leak in that area.

The assembly consists of two hoses and an air gap which is supposed to keep washer water from getting back into city water if water pressure is lost. Water would have to levitate a foot or more at the exact time water pressure is lost, a most unlikely occurrence, so I instead replaced the air gap with a splicer I found at Lowes and let the hoses be.

I did a load of laundry and no leaks. Mr. Hosey would be proud. I may be the second Maytag repairman to be outlived by the washer.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
  2. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We still have the Maytag washer and dryer that we got when we moved into our now 30 year old home. I made my first service call that I can recollect on the dryer last year. It needed a new drive belt and two of the idler wheels were badly worn. He replaced all, said everything looks good and we should be fine for another 20 years. HA!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
    Don Alaska and Ed Wilson like this.