Medical Is All About Money

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Martin Alonzo, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The only thing I say about supplements is that I would like the FDA to simply treat them as food. That would mean that if something is marketed say, as grapeseed extract, that it should have extract in it and at about the amount and concentration listed, just as if it were chicken. If you bought a chicken product, it should/would have a given amount of chicken in the product, not pork, or soy or wood chips. I think it was found in an investigation by the New York Attorney General's Office that many of the supplements tested had little of what they were supposed to contain, and some had none at all of what was on the label. Then the benefits are simply the placebo effect.

If you take them, get them from a reputable and trustworthy source. The government will never monitor them as food, as Big Pharma wouldn't allow it. If the FDA got involved, they would be treated as drugs, and that would make everything go off the market. Big Pharma has been after the FDA for years to remove N-Acetyl Cysteine from the OTC market, as it can be used to treat liver damage from acetaminophen overdoses. Pharma says if the docs use it, it is a drug, there fore vitamin D would go away as well.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You simply choose to believe different salespeople, that's all.

3. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Any of you ever stop to think how mineral and nutrient deficient our soils are today? Bet none of you.

4. Joy Martin

Registered

I don't know who this is for, but I believe my own body from the damage and trip to ER in the 80's from a pharma drug and the rest is history and all the work I've done and YES talked to many people in the health world...and NOT pharma MD's...I do the opposite of what they say I should do, just like the GOVT. I don't listen to their stuff.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My family are mostly farmers. They go to great lengths to rotate crops and add organic matter, fertilizer, amendments, etc. to the soil. How much farming have you done? Bet none.

Krystal Shay and Hoot Crawford like this.
  6. Joy Martin

Registered

Good on your parents and what they do. I do no farming and read a lot of info about our foods....do you eat all their foods they plant?

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My parents are dead, but they owned a working farm and we always had a huge garden as well. I have a lot of family in South GA who are all involved in farming. They farm everything from organic vegetables to soy beans, peanuts and cotton, including fruit such as blueberries and grapes. I have eaten foods produced on those lands all my life and livestock as well.

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

In Texas we had a good advantage care plan . They were life savers and had good customer service. Our move to Kansas has had some issues, but nothing like the wake up call to health care in a small rural town.
    In Ks, medical is broke down according to the county you live in. In our county your choices are 2 or 3 tops.
    i went thru a insurance brokerage firm called Boomers who after 2.5 hours on phone set us up with a Humana plan. We have to pay for it, but has drug coverage.
    Let me cut to the main focus here this town does not like Humana, and the one pharmacy here refuses to accept it at all. The hospital clinic told me the insurance was not very good and most people here just had regular Medicare with a drug plan. The insurance we took out is not in network ,in fact no insurance here is in network, due to being in rural area. That is according to Medicare. i have spent hours on phone, cursing at automated assistants, and holding to speak o a human, who merely directs me another.
    By this morning I was in tears. There is so much to this that would take forever to type out. So, since we clearly are S@4t out of luck with insurance here. I called Medicare and have opted for Medicare and drug plan. Will cost each of us $12.50 a month. However, I cant get inhaler rx filled until 1. I go to a new doctor for scripts 2. be approved by Cigna Saver drug plan3. wait 10 days for approval, then have mailed to us.
    Out of inhaler , so am a bit anxious in waiting. Bottom line.. Nightmare trying to get medical care here,and feel confident that all will be well. Such a mess :(:mad:

9. Joy Martin

Registered

Hedi, sorry to hear of your health issues. You mention Inhaler so I have to think you are dealing with Asthma. A friend I played bridge with for years has Asthma and once she got on Grape Seed Extract, probably 15 yrs ago, she is so much improved. For mere pennies compared to pharma drugs that are more bandaids than healers.

So little in the whole scheme work with other remedies and many avoid the expensive drugs..... I know most here don't like to hear this, but it's true.

I've never wanted to be in a HMO and have been able to avoid them. My state has a plethra of holistic healers.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sorry things are tough for you , @Hedi Mitchell. Those of us in rural areas (heck, my entire state is a remote rural area for insurance) have to deal with special circumstances. It sounds like you have patched it for now. Next year, you can review your existing options and make choices that are more suitable for your current location. I really don't know if you can change advantage plans when you move, but that might be an exception you can look into.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I use the Humana pharmacy for my heart medications, @Hedi Mitchell , and that might be worth checking into for your Humana plan, too. It is called Centerwell Pharmacy, and they mail out my meds to me every three months as I need them, and will even call the doctors when i need an update in order to refill the prescription.
    The only time I do not use the mail delivery is if my doctor gave me a prescription that I had to fill that day, and then I just ask them to send the order to a local pharmacy near us.
    If it is something I need more than one bottle of, then the rest of the refills come from Humana pharmacy.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

My Wellcare scripts plan is somehow affiliated with CVS Caremark. I find it interesting because Medicare seems to set the price, so I don't save any money by doing mail order (even getting a 90 day supply) versus picking them up in the store. It's all a matter of convenience (and trust), I guess.

13. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I had to change, because the plan not offered in Kansas

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

yes but they wanted $324 every 3 months for inhaler

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Very down and aggravated by the insurance situation. Bottom line, will stick with Medicare only and use drug plan for now. I can get my inhaler filled tomorrow at Walmart in Dodge City. However i will have to pay $563.
    Unless. i have no choice. I can not wait until sometime in Feb to get this inhaler, as I have stretched it much longer than i should have. I can not afford CHF again. Once I find a doctor here am going to request finding a cheaper inhaler, even with insurance. I have drove myself nuts with this today so I may hop off here and catch you all later.

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.