Medical Is All About Money

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Martin Alonzo, Apr 29, 2018.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I go through something similar with Epi Pens ($700 for brand name) and with a low-dose antibiotic that I'll be on forever (it's almost $50/month and was developed 70 daggone years ago.)

*sigh*

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. John Brunner

If nothing else, try GoodRX before dropping that money.

3. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

For what it is worth, maybe it won't help, but long long ago, in the last century now, i.e. over twenty-three years ago, an asthma inhaler, the best one known available over the counter too, no prescription needed, was only twenty five dollars total, maybe plus tax. Today it is thirty some dollars plus tax at drugstores, otc, over the counter, no rx required. Use as usual, only as needed, but boy was it a God-send when I had astha attacks and could not even walk half way across a room without one inhalation. Two inhalations were rarely if ever needed, and millions of people used it effectively.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Sigh, the epi pen plague is relatively recent , likely due to toxins in vaccines for the last fifty years or more. Difficult to find any reliable holistic info about this.
    THe other though, has been taken care of for many centuries, at low cost, and no toxicisy.... only have to look, maybe find a holistic tester to verify... instead of continuation under the drugmakers.

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

One of those saved my son's life. He apparently had an undetected shellfish allergy, and my family (minus me) went to a party at wish a mixed fish dish was served. On the way home (about 20 miles or so) his lips and airway began to swell and he started to have difficulty breathing. My wife always carried one of those around in her purse for emergencies, as she had asthma. She got the son to inhale several doses and it kept is airways open enough to get him to an ER.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. John Brunner

I went into anaphylaxis from bee stings. I almost died. I had a friend here who did not carry his pen with him and yellow jackets killed him as he was mowing his field. I'm not sure what other remedy might be available in such instances.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Jeff Elohim

Registered

The herbal remedies were published about one or two decades ago in or on a website/source in California. The known anti-biological-warfare herbs were included, along with the descriptive mechanism of action/how they worked/

Few people in the world have access any more to that experience and knowledge. Or so it seems. If they know, they remain quiet, or risk serious consequences .

Don't take chances, un-necessarily. If you find out , rejoice and keep it to yourself and family or friends close by who won't turn you in.

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@John Brunner and others- I do not have asthma, I have had CHF 5 years ago and have been on inhaler that long. I have had chronic bronchitis several times . Sigh, and it was all due to smoking. However stopped 5 years ago and with all my issues only ave to see heart and lung once a year. I want to keep it that way.
    isn't that a royal bummer? I got the inhaler for $242 vs $563, so happy. Hopefully new drug plan will pay more. Did try Good Rx but this time was not a savings .

9. Ron Beforee

Ron Beforee Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have said for years that there are indeed cures for many ailments , up-to & including cancer. As has been stated , there is no profit in the cure. Only in treatment of the symptoms to try and keep us 'comfortable' . That keeps the money rolling in.

Now ... Here's a new one [too me] Just heard on the news , a short blurb about DNR orders being changed !! For some seniors , or any of those that have no one really looking over their care. Let them die ... money lost, keep them alive ... they are a cash cow.

Here's another part that angers me ... This morning was [as I stated] just a short blurb about it. Full story to air Tuesday night @ 10pm ..... So I'm supposed to remember that , to get the entire story/explanation ..... :mad:

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't believe there is a secret cure for cancer; too many egos involved and too many types of cancer. No one disputes that cancer is big business, however.

As far as a DNR, the patient or their family has to sign them (at least in Texas), so they are agreeing to not be resuscitated. The patient (or family) is making their own decision and I doubt that will change. Wait till Tuesday night to see what the changes are.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I don't know about patients who are in a long-term hospital setting but I know that in the emergency departments, doctors would rather not have to resuscitate patients who are unlikely to have a successful recovery. There is also the fact that, in most medical settings, the doctors who interact with patients aren't involved in the financial aspects of that patient and neither know nor care whether a particular patient has good insurance or no insurance at all. That comes into play from above, when the money people get involved in deciding whether a patient can receive this treatment, another, or none at all.

One of my patients was a seven-year-old boy from Mexico who, while visiting relatives in Texas, was accidentally shot by his cousin while the two were playing with a gun. He was from Mexico, and his parents were essentially broke and without insurance, yet the medical staff fought as hard as they could for this child who, it appears, was likely to be paralyzed from the waist down.

With possible treatments available in the United States, but not to people without means in Mexico, pretty much everyone who actually saw patients in that hospital was furious when they were finally told that he would have to be transferred to a hospital in Mexico. That decision was made by the money managers, not the physicians.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

The merits of the wonderful Grape and all it has done in my overall health. But most here don't want to know or believe this.

Hard to believe a food source supplement could do so much....I'm living it so I do understand all of you pharma folks....

13. Jeff Elohim

Registered

THe cures for cncr have been published quite extensively for oover a century. So no, not a secret.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

cncr... would that be concrete?

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh what a relief. Why don't you forward those publications to MD Anderson and Dana Farber Cancer Institute ASAP; they will undoubtedly be interested. :rolleyes: