Millinocket, Maine

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 9, 2015.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a friend who lives near Rockland Maine. I can't remember the name of her little area though. I would like to visit her someime. I think I will one of these days. She is in here 70's so I am thinking I should get up there sometime soon! I was in Maine briefly one time when we had gone up to the White Mountains. My former mother in law lives in NH, so I have been in New Engliand many a time. Maine was nice, but I really love Vermont!

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have some flooding here in Millinocket, but I am high and dry on Katahdin Avenue. Millinocket Stream floods every few years, which can be a big problem for those who live there, but the rest of the time they get to live next to a stream. Usually, when the stream floods, so does the road going to Baxter Park. I guess it comes out in the wash.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Glad you're high and dry... being just high isn't good, is it? :)

We were in danger if some flooding when the meltoff from the mountains started but it's never an issue where I live at least not yet.

4. Ken Anderson

We're not in the highest part of town, but the street along Millinocket Stream is probably the lowest, which would make sense, given that streams tend to prefer not to flow uphill. Not only did we have a lot of snow but it's been raining practically non-stop since the snow melted.

5. @KenAnderson : You're from Maine, maybe you can answer a question I've been wondering about- why do people there call Maine 'Down East' when it's as far up north as
    you can get?

6. Ken Anderson

It had to do with the ocean currents and wind direction. The Pemaquid Peninsula in Maine was an early site for ship repairs, but ships weren't able to go directly to the port. In the summer months, the prevailing winds along the coast blow from the southwest, so ships had to sail downwind in order to go east. Whatever direction they were coming from, they had to sail downwind toward the east in order to reach the area. Coming from the south, they would have to go past the Pemaquid Peninsula, sailing north, then come back "down east."

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Janice Martin likes this.
  7. That's interesting! Thanks for the info! :)

8. Ken Anderson

Mark Zuckerberg is in Millinocket today, probably promoting the new National Monument that Obama saddled us with before leaving office.

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Haha...take his pic and post it on Facebook! :)

I just finished reading an article about it and I see he's traveling all over the USA...maybe he's planning on running for president in the future, lol.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Actually, I have been reading that he might be planning to run for president, and that is part of the reason that he has been advocating an income for everyone to live on. I think that he will pick up the Bernie Sanders followers, because he is saying much the same things as Sanders talked about.
    If they manage to get rid of President Trump one way or another, then Zuckerberg might even be in consideration before the next election, although not likely , given the line of ascension to the presidency.

On another topic (back to the original thread we go) , my DIL's mother grew up in Millinocket and when I showed her the pictures, she was able to recognize where most of them were at, @Ken Anderson .

Admin and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Her dad was probably a paperworker then?

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Yes, he did work in the mill for quite a while (they are telling me), and then he had a trucking company there.

13. Ken Anderson

I've been sitting here in the dark for the past several hours. We had a storm today and the power has been out. Fortunately, my MacBook holds a charge for a long time. I'm using the hotspot on my iPhone though, and that won't last as long. I have a generator but I don't feel like trying to hook it up in the dark, at least not this close to bed time. Of course, my wife will be nagging me about not having already hooked it up. We've only had it for about four months now.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Chrissy Cross and Frank Sanoica like this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson " .......I have a generator....."
    Our place in MO was close to the end of the feeder line from the power company's distribution point in Park Hills, about 60 miles east. The power poles dated mostly back to the days when power was run along our road: many recalled living there as kids without electric power. Consequently, ice loading (common in winter) often caused poles to break, winds were likely the second common cause, and power outages averaged at least one a month. Diligent though the repair crews were, they had to travel 60 miles or more to the location of the failure. Usually, outages were less than a day in duration, so no food spoiled in the fridge or freezer.

I had an old 2000-watt generator which survived the trip from AZ, but it was aged and very hard to start, as well as inadequate to run the household. One particular outage dragged out for days.....on the morning of the 3rd., I drove the 55 miles to Rolla, and picked up a 6,000 watt unit, set it up in the rear of the house outside, and plugged it into a 220 volt socket I had installed outside. With no transfer switch, this meant my hookup was powering the house in reverse, basically, the mains in the breaker panel being energized by the generator. Using the water heater and electric range could overload the gen., so water heater was switched off when cooking. Rest of the house just fine. Light, well-water. Life of Riley!
    Frank

EDIT: Once, I forgot to shut off the main breaker out at the meter, when starting the gen.: no juice! Of course, dummy! The "dead" powerline represented a "black hole" to the generator!

15. Ken Anderson

Ours is not large enough to power the whole house but perhaps a few lights and to keep things charged. It's a propane generator but still not something that we can run in the house, so I would have to have it either outside or perhaps in the library, with a vented window, since that part of the house is unheated and pretty firmly separated from the rest of the house.

Frank Sanoica likes this.