Misfits Food, Farm Fresh Produce, Ordered Online

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by Yvonne Smith, May 14, 2020.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had seen the advertisement for this company before, and then said that I would rather spend my money on foods that I chose myself, and didn’t sign up. Along came the covid-19 scare, and things like farmers markets are not likely to open, or at least not like they usually do.
    I tried to sign up, but there was a waiting list by that time.

Today, I received a notice that I could sign up, so I did. Here is how it works. Every 1-2 weeks you get a box of farm-fresh organic fruit and veggies, a different mix each time, depending on what is ripe and available .
    I chose the larger box every 2 weeks, rather than paying shipping for a smaller box each week.
    The small box is 10-13 lbs for $22, and the large box is 18-22 lbs for $35.

I am going to try it and see how I like it, and you can cancel anytime. I got a 25% discount on my first order, and I have a discount code for anyone else who wants to try this; so you can get a discount also.
    COOKWME-KE1ASG

3D9A0842-74F1-49A1-851F-C1D9302B51ED.jpeg

Lois Winters likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll be interested in hearing what you think about it, Yvonne.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

My first MIsfits order is arriving this morning, so I will be reporting back with a picture once Fed Ex gets here with the box. I am excited to see what comes in the box !
    On their website, they have a page that shows the foods they have received that week, but you never know which ones will be in any particular box.

Beth Gallagher and Lois Winters like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

My first order has arrived !
    It came in a huge box, and had some kind of insulated packing. Bobby says it is thick felt wrapped in waterproof plastic.
    And there was an ice pack, which had melted , but everything looked fresh and cool still when it arrived .
    Here is a picture, and what is in it basically was carrots, beets, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, zucchini and butternut squash for veggies. Then it has oranges, Limes, mangoes, and apples for fruit. The greens are kale, broccoli, parsley and cilantro .
    So, a nice assortment.

3E4C9651-DE5D-418F-834A-ED001EB94177.jpeg

Terry Coywin and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, nice looking haul! Do you think it was worth the money? I suppose this wouldn't really work for me because we'd have difficulty using that much produce before it goes bad. I'm going to tell my daughter about this because she is all about organic foods.

6. Yvonne Smith

They have 2 sizes of boxes and 2 options of how often you receive the box. I opted for the large box every 2 weeks, but you could get the smaller box if you don’t use that much fresh fruits and veggies. The website explains how everything works. All the produce is certified organic, and no GMO, and is sourced from farmers.

Here is the website:
    https://www.misfitsmarket.com/

Here is the discount code for a 25% discount on your first order: COOKWME-KE1ASG .

7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for posting Yvonne. I just signed up on their wait list. It will be interesting to see where their produce comes from when they deliver to California.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Because we were getting so much fruits and veggies that had to be used right away this summer, I put my subscription on hold for the summer. Now that we are getting more durable winter items, I think that I will start getting this again, because the produce is very fresh, and most of it is delicious.
    This time we got several “fingers “ of ginger, some fennel (which I have never used before, as well as potatoes, carrots, and a spaghetti squash pears, lemons, and celery.
    One thing that I have never seen before is a beautiful golden turnip. I had to look it up to see what it even was because I have only ever seen the white and lavender turnips before.
    I tasted it raw, and it is sweeter and not as much of a “bite” as the white turnips, and I am impressed. I have never seen these in the stores before, but if I find some, I will definitely buy more of them.

This is not an actual picture of mine, but shows what they look like. they are an heirloom variety called Jelly turnip, or golden ball turnip.

C9B78C48-5F97-4359-A08C-F013A511D0D3.jpeg

Terry Coywin and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Interesting.

I've never seen golden turnips, either. I like the regular kind raw with bacon-horseradish dip.

Regarding the ginger root, you probably know you can peel it, then slice it or cut it up into strips or leave it whole, and put it in a jar with alcohol to keep: sherry for Chinese cooking, and vodka for all else.

So what do you do with all that produce? Do the two of you really use it before it goes bad?

Yvonne Smith likes this.