Money Talk And What Is Enough Of Everything In Life

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Joy Martin, Feb 26, 2022.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The only thing I worry about is stuff like my uncle's RAF watch and a couple of other items like that. I don't have heirs, and I don't want to see it end up in a landfill. Of course, I won't see it end up in a landfill, nor will I see much of anything else when the time comes. ;)

2. Ron Beforee

Ron Beforee Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It doesn't help any when i hear commercials like I just heard. Advertising used Rolex & other "luxury" watches at a local jewerly store and they do not even state price ! Instead they announce the "payment"(s) from this to that, depending on the watch selected.

Now I am of the opinion that the people that that commercial is targeted to ..... really can't afford a "luxury" watch ..... period. But they will get themselves into financial trouble just to display the bling. Or as my mother used to say ......... puttin' on the dog.

What ever happened to a good ol' Timex ? More importantly, what ever happened to financial responsibility ?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Ron Beforee

Registered

I totally agree with your first sentence....

I'm retired 22 years, I have a 1200 sq/ft ranch home, in a "blue-collar" neighborhood, a 19 yr/old truck both paid for, two bucks in the bank & one in my pocket. I eat & drink what I choose & keep the house warm & cozy. ......... I'm good.

4. John Brunner

I think our problem is Appearances over Substance. It's screwed us on so many levels.

John West and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, as I always say "money talks while (most) everything else walks". There are those, young and old/older, that don't like to cook, so, "out to dinner" they go. And, I sure don't mean McDonalds or Burger King. Restaurants here get completely packed from Wed. thru Sat..

There are those that make a great salary and can buy a gorgeous house. Buy a new vehicle. Buy a new boat. Take their family to Disney World for a week and stay at a Disney Hotel. And, on and on.

IOW, there are those that live, and love living, the "good life" because they can. Just ask about where Lon Tanner lived. The meals he was served, etc..

There are those that are satisfied with what they have and those that aren't and have the money to get more and more.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Better or not, many people around the world like living the "good life" and do it. Why settle for less, when some can have more and a great lifestyle?

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, Al, her post sounded somewhat on the "angry" side, to me anyway. "Don't tell me how to live and I won't tell you" type of thing.

We don't keep up with the Jones, we keep up with the Franklins! Joke, Al, joke.

Beth is happy with what she has, that's her thing, but there are lots and lots of people that want, and buy, more.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Mind my own business??? How dare you ask me to change my personality!! LOL

Judging people is what many, many people do, but just won't admit it. Most of us on this forum judge others in our posts, but then turn around and say "we don't judge". What a crock!

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

This is something that I have thought, too, @John Brunner . It is a huge difference to spend money on something that you need, vs. spending money on something just for appearances.
    The advertised Rolex commercials that @Ron Beforee mentioned are a great example of that. It is an expensive watch just to show people you have an expensive watch, and does not have a lot more features than the Timex.
    On the other hand, a person might spend about the same amount of money for an Apple Watch (or similar fitness tracker), and you buy that because of the health/fitness/safety/communication benefits that it gives you, not just to show off a fancy watch on a pretty golden watch band.

Having enough money to live comfortably, and where you want to live, is important; but we have seen that often enough, it is the rich people who commit suicide because they are not happy with their lives, even with all of the money they have. Obviously, just having lots of money is not going to automatically bring a person happiness in life.

Attitude has as much to do with happiness as anything, like @Shirley Martin said. Some people are happy with what they have, regardless of what that is.
    Other people are always going to complain about what they don’t have, how much they don’t like where they live, and that there are people in the world with more money than they have; so even if they had what they want to have now, they still would not be happy once they got it.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Hate to break the new to you, Yvonne, but in your post here, you are "judging" those with money. And, there are plenty of rich folks in America and around the world that don't commit suicide. Just look at all of the "Snowbirds" in America. They have more than one home and the finances to cover the lifestyle they have. We have a friend that is a "Snowbird" with a very nice pension and SS. Both of his sons have very nice incomes, home, vehicles. He lives a very nice life, in the summer in Michigan and in the winter in Florida.

There are those that have a nice/new Corvette and like to drive it around to show it off. America has always leaned towards the word "money" and for very good reasons why. Whether it's for health reasons or just plain luxury, both take money.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

5e706e5a-4c44-4401-ace6-26e66a0ab541.jpeg

John Brunner and Al Amoling like this.
  12. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think most people here think that judge means what you think it means.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Ron Beforee

Registered

I agree, so long as one can actually/comfortably afford it .... But IMO when they become so mired in debt, just to have luxuries / bling .... that means they really cannot afford it .... that is when they get into trouble & start borrowing [our] money to have their toys.

BTW ... has anyone else noticed how low the interest paid on savings is remaining ? Yet "they' tell of inflation being 9% headed to 10% ... why are our savings only receiving .5/.6 % ?

John Brunner likes this.
  14. John Brunner

And when interest rates are as low as they have been for so long, the rate on credit cards are still near 20%.

It's almost as though we're always getting screwed.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  15. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, that's true.
    All the gov, corp, med, edu, retail, etc etc etc serve money and want more, and they want your money..