Money Talk And What Is Enough Of Everything In Life

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Joy Martin, Feb 26, 2022.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Only one of those can take it by force.

Al Amoling and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The rest take it by deception, or get the one to help them.

Mary Stetler and Al Amoling like this.
  3. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a credit card that I've had for many years and my going rate is about 3.49%, I don't use it often as I have no desire to buy and buy and buy, but for my supplements and some incidentals I'll use their money.....When I'm gone, the debt will go by by....I own nothing and no one is responsible for my debt.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  4. John Brunner

That rate is a good deal.

I always pay my credit cards off at the end of the month. I never really used cards all that much until I got one from my bank a few years ago that gives rewards I convert to cash (plus a 10% bonus) when deposited into my checking account. I later added a Verizon VISA that converts rewards into a credit against my cell bill and gives me a discount for using it to pay my cell bill with. I even have my car and home owner's insurances charged on them to get the cash rewards for those major expenses.

So I've gone from being an "always cash" guy to an "always credit" guy, even for my daily expenses. But as I said, I never carry a balance on them.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We haven't used credit cards for about ten years now. I think we still have one that is valid, for emergencies, but am not sure.

6. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I charge everthing and get reward. I pay bill completeiy every month

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  7. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Good on you, I incurred some high dental charges on my card when I helped my daughter who was having a tough time. I've not been able to pay off and I really don't care.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

I understand. I got stories. When my wife & I split up, I was making a house payment on a $5/hour salary.

"Roller Coaster" doesn't even scratch the surface.

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

BRICS nations have announced the creation of a new type of reserve currency. Since Russia was sanctioned form the Western world markets, many smaller nations are becoming uneasy, thinking "who will be next to be the target of Washington, Brussels and London?", the new "Special Drawing Rights " equivalent may actually receive widespread acceptance among many of the nations in the developing world. If this happens, commodities in the West may become MUCH more expensive.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

china...russia...iran...maybe some other countries are in position to drive this dollar so far...game over...debt comes due...no more printing money

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Daniel B Cooper

Daniel B Cooper Well-Known Member
    Registered

It's been no small chore but I am trying to be comfortable with what we have and less. I'm happy with my truck ('04 Toyota ) with my cooking dodads and our house. There is one hoby I want to explore but I don't think Lady Coop is going to sign off on it at this time :(.

Once we get our retirement bearings after covid, if there's any left over we want to see some of this country.

12. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

13. John Brunner

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  14. Ron Beforee

Ron Beforee Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have 'enough' ... always have, guess I'm easy to please. Nice blue colar house, I'm fine with my 20 yr/old truck etc. I have a few bucks in my pocket, a few more in the bank, no debt..

What annoys the crap outta me are the one's that just , must have more .... and they really cannot afford it. So they want to keep loans in general @ a low interest rate, which keeps my savings @ an low interest return ..... and essentially they use my money to buy the crap they cannot afford ..... visicous cycle. Low interest / no interest student loans ... or forget the loan altogether, no money down mortgages, 10 year car loans, etc & so-on.
    An ad on radio for no money down used Rolex watches for cryin'-out-loud. If a person needs a loan to buy a used fancy watch ? ..... they need a Timex.

I have a younger friend 50 maybe ? She thinks that when people [older people] have money in savings, that they do not need. They should be required to hand [a percentage of it] off to younger family members !!! Now i know some folks do that to dodge certain taxes , and that is fine so long as it is the savers choice .... But required by state banking law ...... give me a break !!!

15. John Brunner

That's my sister, and she's in her 70s.

Don Alaska likes this.