Moose Encounter

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Don Alaska, Mar 27, 2022.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, Don, you are lucky! He certainly doesn't profile out as Bullwinkle. Maybe Bulltinkle depending if a change of undies was necessary after your encounter.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was reading a story elsewhere of a moose that attacked (and badly injured) a bow hunter, and the authorities decided to not euthanize the critter for being true to its nature...more or less a case of justified self defense. So in that thread, someone posted this 100 year old article, which I found to be fascinating...

[​IMG]

Kalispell, Montana, July 16, 1923 –

Mute evidence of a tragedy of the woods was discovered a few days ago by Joe McKelvey, park ranger, in the vicinity of Many Glaciers chalet, Glacier National Park.

In a thicket about three miles north, Mr. McKelvey ran across the skeleton of a moose, and upon closer investigation, found parts of a human skeleton, which clearly showed that some hunter years ago had shot and wounded a moose and then been killed by the animal. Close by was found a Springfield 45-70 rifle with the breech open, and a shell which had stuck told how the hunter had lost his life. He had evidently fought to a finish for a broken knife (that) was found on the ground.

Old-timers in the vicinity of the park are of the opinion the skeleton is that of a French-Canadian trapper who disappeared about 18 years ago, but none remember his name. There is no doubt that the man lost his life a long time ago, for the bones are bleached and the rubber shoes which the hunter was wearing are badly weather-worn.

Mr. McKelvey got an excellent photograph of this tragedy of the hills. It shows the two skeletons where the combatants fell after their fight, together with the rifle and other equipment of the hunter.
    ****************************​

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A moose decided to visit a hospital waiting room in Anchorage and sample the plants. LInk

There have been many reports of young moose dying from the cold snowy winter lately. A shame to make this this far, then just run out of life. A cow moose was on a bike trail as my wife returned from church today protecting a calf that had already died.

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Are those deaths due to starvation? What makes this year different?

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yeah, it seems to be starvation, largely due to the heavy snow earlier than usual. That is what makes it so tragic. They are so close to spring breakup. Like I said in another post, the willows are starting to bloom, which means sap is flowing some. I guess the little guys that have struggled so much to get through the winter no longer have the strength to get to the few trees available.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I'm not an expert on bears, but someone from the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife told me once that early spring is when most bear deaths occur, outside of hunting season, as they are coming out of hibernation at a time when food is not readily available, given that the vegetation is not yet producing fruit and insects are not as active as they will later be. With minimal activity during hibernation, they're not burning a lot of calories but when they are out in the spring, they are.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
    Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

That is why we have to take down our bird feeders around the first of April, as they draw hungry bears into your vicinity. Garbage can also do this. Keep a gun handy, as a bear just out of hibernation is mighty tasty!

Mary Stetler and Ken Anderson like this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

What are your laws for shooting bear?

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Black bear is allowed most of the time here if it is endangering life or property. Brown bear rules are much stricter, but they don't taste good EXCEPT when just out of the winter sleep, so I am not interested in shooting one of those. I actually haven't checked the rules recently, but black bears are such a nuisance here and are so prolific that I am not concerned.

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Was that Obvious or Oblivious?

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I've had some bear encounters - two in the Appalachians and one in Oregon. I didn't much like the experiences and had to remind myself that I was the one intruding on their territory.

Mary Stetler likes this.