Moss & Stone Electric Coffee Percolator

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 25, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I remember that with my Farberware. I had to put it on a timer so I could wake up to a brewed pot of coffee. And you need a heavy duty timer because it's a pretty high-watt appliance.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

That is insane. I don't understand. As we've discussed, this is not a carrier issue, since the stuff ain't even left the warehouse.

I placed a Walmart order in the late afternoon of the Sunday the 26th and I already received one item today (Tuesday) from Fed Ex, with other items scheduled for delivery (per the USPS and UPS websites) Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. All free freight.

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, the power of suggestion. I have been comparing electric percolators for three days and finally ordered a Capresso 8 cup. :rolleyes: I've been happy with the Capresso coffee grinder I bought a few months ago so we'll see if the quality is as good on the percolator. I had "Amazon rewards" $$$ so it only cost me about $10. It should be here Thursday.

capresso.png

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Amazon just shipped it, five days after I placed the order, four of which were weekdays. It's kind of hard to live up to a two-day delivery promise when you wait five days to even ship it. Since it's coming from Texas, it will take a couple of days to arrive.

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The Capresso arrived a few minutes ago. I guess I'll try it out in a little while.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Our electric pots don't last long no matter the cost or brand anymore.Also we are use to the boil water and pour over cheap plastic filter. It is nice though to just plug in pot and not have to make a whole pot.

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Note to our UK members, considering the Moss & Stone 10 cup percolator:

"The two pin plug which comes with the Moss & Stone Electric Coffee Percolator is unsuitable for use in the UK so had to be returned. The voltage is also much lower than used in the UK. Most inconvenient".

[​IMG]

8. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Being the knuckle-dragger that I am, I use one teaspoon of instant coffee from Aldi for my one cup per day for breakfast.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

My electric percolator arrived today - 10 days after I ordered it. I'll just cut and paste the review that I left on Amazon, changing the wording slightly.

I can't speak to its longevity yet because I just received my Moss & Stone electric percolator today, and have made only one pot of coffee thus far. My last coffeemaker lasted six years, and still pretty much works, but then I paid nearly four times as much for it.

The Moss & Stone looks good. It appears to be substantial and well-constructed. It took about five minutes, and maybe a minute or so longer than that, to finish percolating. For those who want silence from a coffeemaker, it does make a distinct percolating sound, which is not a problem for me because I expected it and don't find it in the least bothersome.

To start with, I chose the option of not using a coffee filter, given that I don't have any coffee filters in the house, but I don't think there are any grounds in the cup. My manual grinder was already set to render a coarse grind, so I might be okay without paper filters. If not, I'll buy filters.

I bought the Moss & Stone percolator to replace a Ninja coffeemaker that served me well for six years but has recently been acting up slightly.

I have a manual stove-top percolator and have always liked the brew that was produced the old-fashioned way, but I don't have a stove-top in my downstairs office, so I thought I'd try an electric percolator. An added benefit is that it has a smaller footprint than the Ninja.

Since I have thus far made only one pot of coffee with the Moss & Stone, I will come back to edit this review if my opinions change over time, but at this point I am satisfied.

As pointed out, it is attractive and has a smaller footprint than the Ninja. It produces a coffee that seems slightly hotter than the Ninja, but I don't see that as a problem. I just have to wait a little longer before I can actually drink it. The coffee is good, with no detectable grounds.

I wish the cord were slightly longer because it doesn't allow for much slack when plugged in, which makes tipping it to pour a cup of coffee difficult, and this will undoubtedly be a greater problem with subsequent cups, as I will have to tilt it further.

moss4.JPG moss2.JPG moss3.JPG moss1.JPG

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Glad the new percolator is a keeper, Ken. And what is it with people complaining about a noisy coffee maker??? Sheesh. I kind of like the perking sound.

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Some coffee-making music for both of you….

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

13. Lawrence Nobs

Lawrence Nobs Active Member
    Registered

I have childhood memories of percolating coffee filling the house with aroma. I think I started drinking black coffee around age 10.

14. Ken Anderson

Having made four pots of coffee with this machine now, I can better attest that I like it. It makes good coffee, it keeps it hot for as long as I need it to and, although I haven't been using paper filters, there have been no grounds in the pot. I do have to remember to unplug it when I'm done but that's not something I have trouble with.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Samual Yoder

Samual Yoder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

To me coffee is coffee, get a pot of water, throw in a handfull of coffee bring it to a boil, let it cool down some, bingo coffee.

Ken Anderson likes this.