Most Churches Focus On The Old Testament And Revelation

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Rose Flowers, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was a member of a church here down south it was all hell, fire and brimstone, as many were back 20 years ago.

Faye Fox likes this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Most churches focus on keeping members believing what the church leaders have decided they should believe.

3. Marie Mallery

Registered

Never thought of it like that but I think you may be correct.

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Revelation is avoided because just when one bible scholar thinks they have it figured out, time proves them wrong. @Ken Anderson Are you familiar with the book on Revelation by Dr. P.C. Key of College Station, Texas 1960s?

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

I think anyone who thinks they have it figured out are fooling themselves. I've sure been there and still am but not as much ,now I just pray and hope for the best

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yup.

Getting vaccinated and hosting gay marriages. It's all the rage.

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

No.

8. Rose Flowers

Rose Flowers Well-Known Member
    Registered

There is something you can do. You can post file paths to any conflicting information you have.

Below is the file path to Millinocket Nazarene. They post over 200 sermons on their website and over 180 of them are Old Testament. Can you see the sermons from 1/2019 to 1/2020? They are all Old Testament. Likewise from 4/2021 to 11/2021 and scattered throughout to the present time. File Path = http://www.millinocketnazarene.com/sermon-series-scripture.html

Below is the file path for Faith Baptist. I said no sermons on the Gospels. Can you see the first 5 sermons visible? They are on Ephesians not the Gospels. The Gospels are Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. The File Path = https://fbcmillinocket.org/sermons/

I don't know what you did with my original post on this subject but it said I did attend churches in person during my great search for a social group in a Christ centered church with a Gospel Bible Study. You started this current thread, I didn't, and you left off my original post on the topic.

9. Ken Anderson

Believe what you'd like, @Rose Flowers. You will, anyhow. I've wasted more time on this than I want to. If you want to believe that every Christian church in the world has ripped the New Testament out of the Bible, have at it. I know better, and you never will.

Your original post on the topic is in the thread you originally posted it in, where it was on-topic. I even agreed with it.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Rose Flowers

Registered

My dear Bobby, I don’t know why you feel I’ve been cranky. That’s your emotion not mine. I didn’t challenge you to find anything. You said you had been to churches that focused on the Gospels and I said perhaps you could name some. If you’ve already been there, you don’t need to find them. If you don’t want to name them, that’s fine with me. I’ve never said I wished you to do anything for me and it doesn’t stand to reason you would assume I did.

Perhaps you could talk to your pastor about making wrong assumptions when you read, or maybe a reading comprehension class would help.

11. Rose Flowers

Registered

Wow! That is a wild statement! Thought you were more analytical than that! Didn't realize you were so emotional! I never said every church in the world had ripped the New Testament out of the Bible. If you refer to my post on this thread on February 1 at 1:01 pm you will see that I said I found a Lutheran Church during my church visits than had Gospel sermons and Bible Studies. I never said I searched every church in the world.

12. Ken Anderson

I already did.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If you want a church centered around the gospels, try the Roman Catholic Church. They treat the Gospels with a reverence not seen in the Protestant denominations. As have posted before, I have attended 25 or 30 different denominations. They all have different emphasis. That is why there are so many denominations, especially in the U.S. The Catholics hold the Gospels sacred and teach from the lectionary, which is also used by some mainstream Protestant churches. The lectionary has three cycles--A, B, and C. A cycle emphasizes Matthew, B cycles uses Mark, and C uses Luke. That covers the synoptics. The Gospel of John is used for the special seasons, such as Easter and some of the Christmas season. I always chuckle at the Protestant denominations, especially the ultra conservative ones, who teach that the Catholics are not Bible believers. Every Catholic service reads from the Old Testament, Psalms, New Testament (non-Gospel), and the Gospels. No Protestant church I have attended has anywhere near that much scripture in the service. Some Nazarene churches I attended preached a long sermon based on a single Old Testament verse. One verse was the only scripture in the entire service.

Sorry that this may upset some, and there are some things I don't agree with in Catholicism, but Bible reading isn't one of them.

John Brunner and Ken Anderson like this.