Moving Costs

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, Ken, our stuff is in both our apartment and in our garage. The moving company would have to block the "in" side of the drive to load by our apartment. The manager does allow 5-ton moving trucks to load/unload within the complex, but not long-distance moving trucks. And, as long as there's a sign posted at the entrance of our complex, stating "No Large Moving Vehicles Allowed", the moving company will abide by that sign. They have no choice and neither do we.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Boy do you have that RIGHT, Holly. She doesn't talk much at work, especially about anything outside of work. I was pretty different.

Don Alaska and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Nice idea, but "no thanks". My so-called "party days" are pretty much over nowadays.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Oh yea...…..that's me (minus the gun and vest). Actually, Holly, this is the way rodeo cowboy contestants enter a rodeo here...…….by both cell phone and computer.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm glad you and your wife will finally get to see your dream come true Cody...and I hope y'all will be very happy in your new home. :)

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, wife's supervisor was surprised, but not nearly as surprised as wife thought she'd be. This is what she told my wife (wife wrote it down for me), "You are a very good worker and will be missed. I'll cry all weekend over you leaving". To tell the truth, I seriously doubt the supervisor will cry about my wife leaving.

Now, who is really going to be surprised, and not real happy, is my wife's co-worker. She is pregnant and, after my wife leaves next month, will have help do the work my wife was doing, until another person is hired.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

As far as this Moving Company "shuttle" thing, the residents that I've told her, are sort of shocked about the cost and that an "out of state mover/van lines" can't load/unload inside the complex. Guess they never gave the sign out front a thought. The one that show they aren't allowed inside the complex.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Was going to start a new thread about this, but decided to add this to here:

Got an e-mail yesterday from the manager of the apt. complex we are moving to. Remember, our "applying" for the apartment was done online and approved...…..but, the approval was done with the salary my wife is currently making, plus our monthly SS. Definitely more than enough to get this apartment.

Well, in the e-mail, one of the manager's requirements was...….proof of a job offer there or proof that my wife would still be working for the company she works for. IOW, proof of income for rent, when we get there. Generally, apartment complexes want a potential resident to have an income of 3 times the amount of the apartment rent. Along with SS, that would have to be like getting a Retirement Pension from a company a person stayed with for up-teen years. What the manager didn't ask for, and didn't know about, was my wife's 401k Savings in the bank. Luckily, we were able to get the manager's approval to get the apartment.

For those Seniors that don't get a Retirement Pension and have to survive off of Savings and their SS, just how does a Senior obtain an apartment???? From what I know, all of my retired high school classmates outright own their home and don't have to worry about a mortgage payment anymore. In fact, neither wife nor I even know any Seniors that live in apartments. None in our family, except us.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A lot of them get subsidized housing which, if you're not in a large city somewhere, can be as nice as leasing an apartment. In fact, we have several apartment complexes along one street here in Millinocket that caters to seniors, some of whom pay full price, while others have most of their rent paid for by the government. If the only income they have is Social Security, they probably qualify. In smaller towns, subsidized housing is no different than any other apartments you might look at, only the taxpayer's foot much of the bill. Plus, smaller towns are less likely to have all of these qualifiers in order to rent an apartment.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Will check into that later. Thing is, we want to live in a decently safe and quiet area, in which, what I've read/heard, subsidized housing definitely may not be. Isn't HUD part of subsidized housing? I just seen a picture of a "subsidized housing" apartment complex...…..not very nice looking at all.

12. Ken Anderson

Yes, that can be a problem. In some places, subsidized housing means a bad neighborhood. Here, and in other small towns that I've lived in, that's not so much the case. Empty units in the same apartment complexes that other people pay full price to rent are offered as subsidized housing.

13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    Never heard of this sort of thing before! When we rented a condo for our first winter in Bullhead City (AZ), 2010-2011, we had to prove nothing at all related to income. In fact, it was never even mentioned. I was then on SS, my wife unemployed. Second winter, same thing.
    Frank

14. Ken Anderson

I do know that apartment management companies often require the same kind of credentials in order to rent an apartment that is required when applying for a loan. I think that's the case here in Maine too if you're going to rent something in Augusta, Bangor, or Portland. In the smaller towns though, all you need is first and last month's rent, although some might ask for a security deposit. We rented a place outside of Bangor for a couple of years when Michelle was working in Bangor, and we've rented a place up north, while I was working on our land, and I don't think they even asked for identification.

15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Stay out of subsidized anything!