Moving Problems?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 23, 2022.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

ONLY a couple of hours away??? No, we would take a lake a whole lot closer than that. We aren't 30-40 years old anymore, John. We've never had to tow our boat a couple of hours to get to any waterway. Even an hour is too much towing for us.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

You moved in the middle of winter? More bold than we are. Where we live, it appears nobody moves. There are multiple empty apartments in our complex.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Is Radar the Wonder Dog not doing well again, @Hedi Mitchell ? The move was probably hard on him, too, and the cold. How is the little portable crate you got working out for him ?
    These old houses are really hard to keep warm sometimes. I have a little electric heater right by my feet under the desk, and that helps me to keep my feet and legs warmer when I am sitting here.
    I have one of those little electric throw blankets by the Poodle Couch, so when Poodle and I are sitting there, we can snuggle under the warm blanket. The doors to all of the other rooms are closed and we only heat where we are at, and I am always still cold all winter.

Faye Fox and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Sorry if you've mentioned this...is nearby water part of your New Place criteria? You're not selling your boat, are you?

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

If we need a carb rebuild, we get it. If we need a new carb, we'll get one. My wife tells me, and I agree, "we've put to much money into it to sell it and it's great entertainment for us. So, the answer is "no", not selling it. At least not until we absolutely have to.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith - Um Radar is okay - mostly. His nails are grown out and curved ,he refuses to let us cut. He has has chewed all the hair off the tumor n his tail, and still licks himself constantly. He has had a few small seizures last few months, but always bounces back. The Pen works good for him. Only is inside of pen during the night and if I cant keep eye on him.
    My meds help in making me colder, then the house Is very drafty. Some of the cold air is from old weather stripping on the doors ,repair next week when weather is warmer, and truck is repaired.
    I cant begin to list all the quirks in this place. All of which can be repaired at some point. Tnx fr asking about us :)

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Poodles nails were that way, and he hated me to clip them, @Hedi Mitchell .
    I got one of those dremel grinders for dogs on Amazon when it was on clearance sale, and it works wonderfully.
    It makes a little noise, but not much, and I started grinding his nails every week until they were down to a decent size, and now I can do them every 2-3 weeks to keep them shorter.
    You have to do it a little at a time so that the quick can go back , and with the dremel, you never clip too short and make them bleed because you can see how much you are grinding.

I take a hot dog and cut it into bites and give Poodle a bite before I start, and a bite each time I finish a foot, and when I am finished; so he has learned that it is treat time when he gets trimmed.
    This is the one I have (it is unavailable right now); however Amazon has a good selection of them.
    It is easy to hold and use and a good size for small dogs, and I like it much better than using the toenail clippers.

D3CE5D1B-2ECB-4182-95D0-A1B9A91DEF14.jpeg

8. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Thank you, but we have tried it All. What is so maddening is him letting others do it ..long as we pay for it!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Hard to believe we moved three weeks ago ! Lordy the time do get away. Well sir the water pressure situation has been repaired. We lived thru the absolutely brutal, below zero winds! Hoping to get our truck back today after having t o have 4 hoses replace. Love the sun rising of morning thru all these windows. :)
    Lolo the highway noise is virtually non existent- nothing compared to where we were. I mean there is only one red light in town ;). We are starting to adjust some. While the weather has changed from zero to almost 68 today we will try and get some needed things done. Stocking up before the weather change for sure. More later.

10. John Brunner

Do you think you're gonna be able to weatherproof the place enough to make it comfortable, Hedi?

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  11. John Brunner

The Brochure
    cat from ad.jpg

Reality
    mountain lion.jpg

12. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Are you sure? Maybe, when the door opens, the first people he meets will be gays with tattoos... :D:p

Faye Fox likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

No, gays and lesbians full of tattoos and facial piercings. Lord, I hope not!

14. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

:p:p

15. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Living in a very small town in Kansas is a blessing and a nightmare. The blessing comes from no traffic. Crossing cattle ,deer and coyotes is tops in traffic. Quite in a town of less than 800, versus a city of over 150,000 ! Very laid back, and without a doubt 30 years behind compared to larger cities.
    These people do not bother to update their websites, with address changes, or correct their out dated invoices with correct information. Taking your child to work, can be a perk for parents.
    Small rural towns, have small grocery stores with outrageous prices. Literally the prices are gouging to say the least. That is why you stock up once a month at Walmart 50 miles away, so you have no need to pay $10.50 for mayo in town.
    Small towns ae more friendly and people are willing to step in and help out regardless of who or what. However, they are not a hurried bunch. There are no brand named fast food places. That is the biggest complaint from towns people I have heard since being here. Lucky for us, we seldom eat out anyway.
    Watching t he sun come up from the dining room window of morning ,even between trees an houses is a site beholding a city gal. Progress is going slow, but things are starting to round out some.
    My next step is to tell you all the biggest nightmare of all, being in this small rural town, in southwest Ks. I will post that in the health threads somewhere -or perhaps the Rant thread.