My Beautiful Handcrafted China Cabinet!

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Bobby Cole, Oct 29, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Looks real nice, now I can see it.We need to do some remodeling but just don't get around to it.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have seen some of it @Beth Gallagher and if it’s done right it can really make a kitchen look a lot more vibrant and fun.

Just as a side, back in the day when hippies were plentiful, a rather “smoked up” gentleman asked me to do some op art on his doors.
    In short, I basically pin striped them with larger rectangles going into smaller rectangles to a mere dot in the centers.
    Each rectangle was pinstriped with neon colors which pretty much set the stage for getting stoned.

It was horribly interesting to say the least.

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Looks good Bobby. I have done a similar finish on lacquered furniture, old radios, and musical instruments using a refinisher, then the clear. Blending stains on raw wood can be a challenge even if the wood is matched for species, grain, and coloring.

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

If I could get things up to a good temp, I’d be using Deft as a finish but as it is, lacquer is my best go to finish.

So far as my stains go, I Always hand rub my stains in, that way I can feel the texture of the grains I’m dealing with and it’s consistent.
    My last major stain job was 1,280 sf of pine heart which is much harder to stain than oak because of the softer wood and heavier grains but here is one room.
    It hadn’t been buffed with a fine steel wool pad yet but it’s still pretty even if the floor is over 100 years old.
    Notice those crazy grains !!

i have no idea how I got the double take but hey, it still works for me.
    45A7090E-A72E-4A30-B983-75E078348896.jpeg 45A7090E-A72E-4A30-B983-75E078348896.jpeg

5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Love the high gloss finish although you certainly can steel wool it down, if you like:rolleyes:
    I thought about that new plank flooring but knowing that it comes in such a dull finish and can't be refinished, like wood, keeps me just thinking. (although I have redone my entryway and hall three times.:confused:

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Looks real nice, Bobby! My husband likes to do wood working too. I like everything he has made and refinished but when he starts going into the details about the grains, stains, finishes, etc., my eyes start to glaze over after a while. :D

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My older brother once rented out a tiny house and hung black light posters in one room. He did not do wacky weed but he had a Segrams moment when he painted the walls black and then flicked white paint all over the place.

It looked like some 3rd world pox in the daylight, but was a pretty cool effect with the black lights on...and enough V.O. in you.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Nice job, very pretty.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

This is the china cabinet , almost finished ! Bobby has posted pictures of his progress as he was building (re-building ? ) this china cabinet, and i wanted it to have its own thread.
    It still needs the glass in the front; but all of the staining and ornamentation and mirrors inside the top cabinet are all finished now.
    This will be the home for my Franciscan Desert Rose china, and my vintage teapots once it is finished.

508CDDC2-883F-4FC1-BEF0-9D7D267C889F.jpeg

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, that looks great, Yvonne!! Good job, @Bobby Cole ! Maybe you should move (or copy) the progress pics to this thread, too, @Yvonne Smith .

Your post reminded me of my own set of Franciscan Desert Rose. I'll post some pics in my diary.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Doing that now, @Beth Gallagher ! They will all show before these posts because they go by date.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I still have to make some shims for the top hinges so the doors will line up. I put new adjustable hinges on it but they don’t adjust as extreme as the old ones did hence the need for shims which I’ll cut out of plexiglass.

13. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Beautiful work Bobby! Now you and Yvonne have this wonderful piece in your home!

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

That’s our job.
    The Semi-Secret Men’s Mandatory Missions Manual for Married Sagacious Seniors says that even when we change a lightbulb, we are mandated to explain the finer details to our wives.

No matter how much it may pain him, your hubby has obviously read the book thoroughly and is meeting his obligations.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    Krystal Shay and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Bobby Cole and Faye Fox like this.