My First Encounter With Hardcore Racists

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Lon Tanner, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Everybody misspells the Klan!

It's not the Klu Klux Klan...it's the Ku Klux Klan.

Grand Dragon Hal:eek:

3. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No. Have you met any members of the BLM or New Black Panthers tan klan?

I met black racists during riot duty with the National Guard when H. Rap Brown came to Cambridge MD and tried to get the locals to trash the place in 1967. Last I heard, he's Jamil Abdullah el Amin and still serving a life term in Atlanta for murdering a cop. The next year I met and interacted with number of racists trying to destroy Baltimore in the MLK riots, again with the National Guard.

So tell me, you met any KKKs since '58?

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  4. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

I sincerely hope not.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was in high school marching band during the time of those riots. We practiced our football game halftime routines on Wednesday nights. After we were done about 9PM, a bunch of 20+ year old men from the adjoining neighborhood came into the band room and beat the crap out of the 10 or so high school kids who were still hanging around. One of the kids got his head beat in pretty bad with a baseball bat. It happened again in the middle of the school day in the cafeteria, with tire irons and chains...easy access through the outside entrances.

My older brother was in the U.S. Army Band and was in downtown DC for an event that day. A bunch of them got beat up pretty bad. He had stitches on his lip. He played trombone for a living.

Then there were the Black Panthers at the polling places in Pennsylvania intimidating voters in 2008.

All this pot stirring. Too much money and power in it to ever stop on its own.

Bobby Cole and Boris Boddenov like this.
  6. John Brunner

I forgot all about this page out of our sitting Democrat governor's college yearbook:

[​IMG]

Boris Boddenov likes this.
  7. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@John Brunner

Chris Plante (WMAL AM in DC) educated us about the good guv'nor's antics and the thugs at the polling place were the so-called NEW BPP. Even the communists at the SPLC have deemed them a hate group.

8. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No, but if I did, I'd pull out my Gideon bible (which I carry all the time), and point out why they are wrong.

For example, Gal 3:28 where "There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, (nor black nor white), nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."
    (The parenthetical phrase is implied). Also other scriptures are applicable.

Lon Tanner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

Yup. And where was/is our judicial system?

As an aside, that WMAL reference sure brings back memories. I lived in the area from 1963-2010 and delivered The Evening Star as a kid (which I believe was purchased by WMAL as one point.) I know WMAL migrated to FM...didn't know the AM side was still alive.

10. Lon Tanner

Registered

In my four years of military experience I met and knew many men from every state. This was 1953 to1957, before the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960's. The N word and other derogatory words was used almost exclusively by individuals from southern states. These guys were still fighting the Civil War and called any of us non southerners YANKEE rather than our names.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Seems to me that YOU are the one "still fighting the civil war." You are always posting about racial/racist topics. You need to progress past 1957 and realize that we are all just people.

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I went through basic at Ft. Polk Louisiana, jump school at Ft. Benning, Ga,, with the 82nd Airborne at Ft. Bragg and was stationed after Nam at Hunter Army Airfield at Savannah, Ga.
    All southern posts with a lot of southern soldiers and the only time I heard the N word being used was between those of the black race.
    So far as the word Yankee goes, if it was used it was always in jest or about a baseball team very few folks rooted for. Personally, I’m a southerner and have always liked the Yankee baseball team.

Goes to show how things changed between your era and mine.
    All of us acted like brothers and were trained as a team. Obviously, you and the men you served with were not.

Al Amoling and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

He still hasn’t retracted the statement about his belief that there are a lot of racists on this forum.
    I can get along with any vet of any wartime or non-combat status but that kind of BS sticks heavily in this very well trained soldier’s craw.

Note: No one can un-train a soldier and the oath we took has no expiration date ergo, we’re still soldiers.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Lon Tanner

Registered

arch
    I have never understood bigotry and racism and wonder why otherwise normal people act the way they do. My research discovered that there are more hypocrites than actual racists.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Other than black people referring to one another, I don't think I have ever heard anyone use the n-word in reference to a black person. I've heard the word used, but not in reference to a person. I had a neighbor who referred to black people as "colored" once, but she didn't live around any black people and thought that was what they wanted to be called, which makes sense when you consider that the NAACP hasn't changed its name. Unless I was mugged, and needed to describe someone to the police, I haven't seen a lot of reasons to refer to a person's skin tone.

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.