My Kidney Stones

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Corie Henson, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

The first symptoms of kidney stones is the pain in the lower back or sometimes in the waistline. It didn't occur to me that I had kidney stones until I underwent an executive checkup as per the office policy. I had undergone my first lithotripsy in 1995, if my memory serves me right. And then I had it again in 2001. Lithotripsy is the procedure using strong sound waves to break the stones in the kidney. As a side effect, the patient suffers bruises after that one hour treatment.

In 2006, I was again hospitalized for an infection caused by kidney stones. This problem has been bugging me ever since but I am not going to have a lithotripsy again.

2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Corie Any one who has a calcium deficiency the body [parathyroid] pulls calcium out of the bones and teeth to balance the blood PH and this shows up as a greater amount of calcium in the blood and the kidneys put the calcium out and it forms stones. Doctors through their ignorance see the large amount of calcium in the blood and tell people to reduce the calcium intake which only makes the problem worst.

3. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson You might think you can ignore kidney stones, but you really can't. They can start to travel down the ureter they can get stuck and block the flow of urine which can cause serious problems. They can rip and tear causing you to bleed and get infections. They can get trapped in the bladder if big enough and be painful. You are better to get the stones cared for.

I was told a few years ago that I had stones in both kidneys and that one was ready to come down. That was maybe 5 years ago and it has not, or I passed it and did not know. I read that lemon juice can help dissolve certain types of stones, but there are different types so you need to know what type you produce before you can get to the root of the problem.

Corie Henson likes this.
  4. Allison Schuck

Allison Schuck Veteran Member
    Registered

Corie, I am sorry to hear you have this. My DIL had them and she said it was very painful.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

That's what exactly happened in my last checkup - a stone is threatening to go to the urether (where the urine passes) and it's not good so the urologist wanted to do a medical procedure on me for that. Fortunately, on my next ultrasound, it showed that the stone had passed already. That was a great relief to me. But my kidney still has some 3 stones and I'm taking care of it with the use of herbal cure - recommended by a nephrologist in 2006.

6. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

You poor thing, I know what you are going through. I have had a kidney infection and I can relate to the bad back pain. I thought at first that I had pulled a muscle in my back, but it didn't get better within a week. Fortunately, I had an appointment with my doctor and she determined that I had a kidney infection that needed to be treated. I have never had kidney stones I hear those can be even more painful especially in passing them.

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have great intuition that never seems to be on time. This time I ordered a bunch of chicory I've been brewing to amend my coffee with, and a flavored chicory drink I've been having before dinner. I thought to myself "Now that I've order a lot of this, I'll find a reason to not use it," because things often work out that way for me. Sure enough, it happened again.

I've been researching the oxylate content of foods because oxylate can cause kidney stones, and after over 20 years of peace I recently had a kidney stone episode. So I download a guide, and sure enough chicory is a high oxylate food!!! This recent order is enough to last me 4 months.

I really need to listen to that little voice and take heed.

8. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Staying away from digital can be FIRST in being rant free.....My big big issie is keepinmg myself upright and moving, the rest is B.S.

For me having food delivered 4 days a week, meals on wheels...is so far from a banter....I do NOT donate to anything but I just started to with MOW These people are great.

9. Joy Martin

Registered

Ouch on the oxylates, spinach is high also.....and I've been eating more spinach souffle but read somewhere the cooked spinach is not as high as leafy uncooked....

John Brunner and Mary Stetler like this.
  10. John Brunner

Many of my diet changes since I moved in 2010 have been high in oxalate:

-Wheat bran cereal (nearly every morning)
    -Blueberries (nearly every morning)
    -Blackberries (nearly every morning)
    -Amending my morning coffee with chicory
    -Having an after-dinner chicory drink
    -Adding cacao to my chicory drink
    -Black tea
    -Chocolate for a dessert sweet
    -LOTS of pistachios
    Ad nauseum

And all that the doctors say is "Don't eat broccoli."

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I even wonder about lambs quarters having oxilates but there is not much research of such on weeds.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

I took a look at lambs quarters are in the family Amaranthaceae, most species of which are herbs or subshrubs. Some species are shrubs. A tiny number are vines and trees. So there's not gonna be a common veggie relative whose oxalate content one could research and infer.

The whole thing is infuriating. I look at the foods I have been eating lots of because of their nutritional content, and it's as though I went on a Maximum Oxalate diet. Et tu, baked beans?

The pastor of the church I was attending ended up in the hospital with his first attack of kidney stones at age 70 and said his doctor told him to avoid broccoli, but never explained why. Heck, broccoli is low on the scale of oxalate content. Potatoes have over 10mg of oxalate per 3.5oz serving. Broccoli is under 2mg.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Joy Martin

Registered

On the Stones, make a point of keeping Urine more clear than not. Eat in moderation, snacks thru the day. I take extra potassium tablets thru the day and add to some foods where it's possible and it is said to be good for reducing "stones" or the possibility. I don't recall any of my family having stones and I'm good with that too.

Taking diuretics can be a no no re: stones. I took a diuretioc for some yrs and stopped maybe 2 yrs ago, my 2 BP meds and diet change keeps bp good, also meditate when you think of it....it all helps.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

The cure? Pick a food and don't eat it.;) A lot of recommendations, even the fda don't know what they are talking about. I still like Dr Berg.
    I just heard that a deficiency in Vitamin A might be a cause of stones. Not beta carotene ,which has to be converted, or pills but egg yolks, liver, and other food sources.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  15. Joy Martin

Registered

True, concentrate on eliminating a couple of foods that are High Culprits.