My Miniature Orange Tree

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Chrissy Cross, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, this bush is tiny also.

Someone has a big lemon tree in their backyard that hangs over our mailboxes....it’s so heavily laden with lemons that I’m tempted to pick one but I don’t ...seems like 100 lemons on one branch!!

I don’t have a lemon tree but almost everyone here does. Haven’t seen as many orange trees or bushes but then I don’t look in back yards.

Wish I would have planted this Bush in the back ....think we did but wasn’t doing well so moved it up front....I’ll have to ask my ex about it.

In fact...I should send him the pics....

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was in Los Fresnos, I bought a house that came with two orange trees. I love oranges, yet those two trees produced way more oranges than I could eat.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That’s what the lemon trees look like here....who can use that many lemons??

I’m just surprised my little bush had anything on it...it’s in such a bad spot.

Ken Anderson and Mary Robi like this.
  4. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to have a back yard with several orange trees, a tangelo tree, a lemon tree, two grapefruit trees and a sour-orange tree. I couldn't GIVE those things away during orange season. I was reduced to putting them in a baby basket, setting it on the steps, ringing the door and running like hell...…..LOL.

Chrissy Cross and Ken Anderson like this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Orange you glad you looked?!:rolleyes:

Bill Boggs and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

5BCF8A13-E4B2-470E-998C-98CA5370FDA6.png

Bill Boggs and Joe Riley like this.
  7. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I was about to start a topic about miniature orange trees and found this.

I bought one for my mother one Mother's Day and one for myself. Hers did wonderfully and she had it for a long time.
    Don't remember how long mine lasted.

Years ago, a friend had a huge bay window (miss those) and she had a miniature orange tree, very small but full of limbs with variegated leaves and marble-sized oranges that were weighing the limbs down.

I've never seen a miniature orange tree similar, and I've searched the web many times. I wonder if someone cross-bred it - the limbs and leaves looked more like a weeping willow (stronger limbs) than any miniature orange trees I've seen.

They seem like a good thing to grow and sell for profit, if you are good with plants.
    So pretty.

8. Mikhail Bulgakov

Mikhail Bulgakov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If the leaves are about twice as long as a regular orange or lemon, and the fruit is uniformly marble sized Emma, it could be a kumquat tree. Are the fruits just a bit oblong? Then real good chance it's a kumquat.

9. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

No, they were as round as marbles and looked like mini oranges.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have several tree that are supposed to be lemon trees, however, one has what looks like oranges on it, and the other one looks like it has limes. It is possible that neither one is ripe yet, because the one that is shaped like an orange is still pretty yellow, and the green one might just be a lemon that hasn’t turned yellow yet.
    I thought I might have posted about them last year, but I didn’t see a thread; so maybe not.

00C6B810-F7EA-4A13-80A5-25C65F3C2FF8.jpeg FFF74085-2DA8-4B1E-A980-3E21A8648085.jpeg

11. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I had a mini orange tree once that had four oranges a year. I had to overwinter it inside and the blossoms smelled WONDERFUL. Surprisingly it was pollenated (probably by white flies). But here in Wisconsin we had a bumper crop of apples, pears, and Japanese apple pears in my yard. We made pies today.
    Yummmmm

Yvonne Smith likes this.